Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Something I've been thinking about for a while, and thought that it might warrant a discussion.

We all seem to be expecting the new iPad Airs to have the M2, since the current one has the M1 and they'll refrain from putting the M3 inside just to keep it one step behind the Air. But when I think about it, I can't remember any leaks or speculation come out that explicitly reference the processor that the new Airs will use, and we're just making an assumption.

But let's look at the other facts. AFAIK Apple has never released a new device with a previous generation M-series chip, what's to say they won't put the M3 on the iPad Air like they did with the MacBook Air? Hell, the fact that the iPad Pro at the time had an M1 didn't stop them from putting an M1 onto the 2022 Air. And from what I've seen, there don't seem to be many people for whom the M3 over the M2 is a deal breaker. An iPad Air with an M3 would make perfect sense.

Curious to hear what people think.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Something I've been thinking about for a while, and thought that it might warrant a discussion.

We all seem to be expecting the new iPad Airs to have the M2, since the current one has the M1 and they'll refrain from putting the M3 inside just to keep it one step behind the Air. But when I think about it, I can't remember any leaks or speculation come out that explicitly reference the processor that the new Airs will use, and we're just making an assumption.

But let's look at the other facts. AFAIK Apple has never released a new device with a previous generation M-series chip, what's to say they won't put the M3 on the iPad Air like they did with the MacBook Air? Hell, the fact that the iPad Pro at the time had an M1 didn't stop them from putting an M1 onto the 2022 Air. And from what I've seen, there don't seem to be many people for whom the M3 over the M2 is a deal breaker. An iPad Air with an M3 would make perfect sense.

Curious to hear what people think.

I think you meant to say Pro here.

As far as M2 or M3, I think they’ll go M2 for the Air.
There seems to be a concerted effort at Apple to further distinguish their Pro products from non-Pro ones.
You’re seeing more of this lately with the iPhones.

Frankly, I don’t think there’s really that much difference with the non-pro M chips. But there will certainly be a difference from a marketing stand point.

Edit: Just came across a rumour on 9to5 Mac suggesting the iPad Pros might go M4. So iPad Airs get M3? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nj-morris

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I think you meant to say Pro here.

As far as M2 or M3, I think they’ll go M2 for the Air.
There seems to be a concerted effort at Apple to further distinguish their Pro products from non-Pro ones.
You’re seeing more of this lately with the iPhones.

Frankly, I don’t think there’s really that much difference with the non-pro M chips. But there will certainly be a difference from a marketing stand point.

Edit: Just came across a rumour on 9to5 Mac suggesting the iPad Pros might go M4. So iPad Airs get M3? :)
Yeah I timed this thread well. If the Pro has the M4 then I think the Air almost certainly has the M3

RoadWarrior56

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
Apple can differential the Air all they want, but which M-chip they use will make little difference in my opinion. I have an M1 iPad Air 5G, and believe me, nothing slows that device down. It should run well for years to come and I have no plans to upgrade. M2 or M3 probably won't even be noticeable for any normal usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.