Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
I purchased this external dock: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q1YS4Z8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Along with an 8TB SSD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089C3TZL9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
And a 4TB nVME: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7CQ2CHH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

My Studio disconnects them whenever I leave the computer for a while. I'll come back and it will say they've disconnected several times. On occasion, it won't reconnect itself and I need to reboot the enclosure. I read something that perhaps the enclosure should be plugged into a certain port (maybe have it on its own controller with nothing else shared with it)? Might that help or do I need to purchase a different enclosure for these 2 drives?

Reactions: L-5Jazzman

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
If your computer goes to sleep, that's the cause and the workaround for now is to disable sleep. The Mac Pro has the same problem with internal drives.

• Haha
Reactions: macrocker88

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
I'm not positive it's going to sleep. I'll just come back to the display still being on, and seeing all of the DC notifications in the upper right corner.

Do I simply disable the setting called "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Its a feature of recent OS's, they are picky about non compliant enclosures, hubs, TB devices.. It has been an issue for years now, more prevalent recently. Its best to only use enclosures and drives that work well for other mac users. Make sure to use very good quality TB4 rated cables. Try to stay away from hubs, although my Sonnet is stable, not fast but stable. Avoid daisy chaining. Even with all those precautions, you may find a drive disappear now and then. Knock on wood, I haven't seen drives disappearing after making the adjustments, using more stable enclosures, and leaving the studio on 24/7 (the displays sleep).

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As others have mentioned, don't put the Mac to sleep. You can turn computer sleep off, yet still keep "display sleep" if you wish.

Also mentioned above, uncheck the option re "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"

Items may STILL "drop off of the bus", anyway. It is what it is.

I'm going to offer a suggestion unlike any that anyone else would offer.

There is a free, very small menu-bar utility named "Semulov".
Get it here:
(on right, go to "releases" and click "latest")

When you launch Semulov (it can be set to launch at login), it puts a drop-down menu in your menu bar, with mounted and unmounted drives.

When you are using one of the external drives, of course it's "mounted" on the desktop.
When you are DONE using it for a while, or are going to be away from the Mac, go up to the menu bar and "select" the mounted drive, and...
... it will UNmount.
(You can RE-mount it by going to the "unmounted" area and selecting it again.

Just try this (mounting/unmounting) once or twice, and you'll see immediately how it works.

The reason for my suggestion is this:
When you're going to be away from the Mac for a while, go up to the menu bar and "dismount" the two external drives. They will "drop off the desktop", but STILL BE EASILY RE-MOUNTANBLE using Semulov.

Now, if the Mac goes to sleep or does something else that would cause the drives to "drop off" the bus, they are easily "reachable" again once you wake up.

I believe that even if the bus has [previously] "gone to sleep", using Semulov sends "a probe" to the bus and "wakes it up again", and then remounts the drive(s).

Please give this suggestion a try and get back to us.
Good luck.

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
I disabled letting HD's go to sleep, and toggled 'prevent automatic sleeping when display is off' and haven't had a disconnect since. Fingers crossed.

Does that hurt any components over the long term? I'm not terribly worried as I have Applecare+ auto-renew each year, but would be interesting to know the effects.

I definitely don't want to have to manually disconnect drives every time I leave the computer. That's too much for me.

Reactions: philipma1957

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Can you follow up on this. Maybe in a week or 2.

I am considering buying a Mac Studio m2 with a 1tb internal and using some external hubs for backup. I was going to use this one which is slower.

or maybe this

this is fast.

but I do like the look of your hub/case

aytan

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2022
I have been using Asus Arion M.2 SSD enclosure with WD Black series on M1 Ultra nearly 1 year there is no issues at all, plug in plug out change M.2's all works. Also no issue with 2x Asus Arion M.2 SSD enclosure or Samsung T7, Sundisk extarnal SSD's. We have try different Enclosure Brands, a few of them even do not work, a few of them works but very very slow. Asus Arion is the only one works properly. Speed depends on which M.2 SSD you use. All I can say is stay away from Kingston M.2 SSD's. WD Green / Blue / Black works.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
My ACASIS NVMe Enclosures were fast but had a tendency to drop off. They ran a bit hot. Reports here indicate recent ACASIS enclosures seem to be having QC problems.

I put the Seagate and WD NVMes in a Sonnet enclosure and haven't had an issue, but they are not as fast as within the ACASIS.

The CalDigit Elements TB4 hub became unstable over time. CalDigit recommends at least macOS 13 Ventura for the best possible experience.

juju01

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
I came here to post about a somewhat similar issue. I am mounting SMB shares from a Truenas server. They also always are disconnected when the studio goes to sleep. In my case, the studio looses network connectivity when it sleeps, hence the disconnection. I came here looking for a way to maintain the network connection ( ethernet ) even when the studio is asleep.

hanhasgotqi

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
Its a feature of recent OS's, they are picky about non compliant enclosures, hubs, TB devices.. It has been an issue for years now, more prevalent recently. Its best to only use enclosures and drives that work well for other mac users. Make sure to use very good quality TB4 rated cables. Try to stay away from hubs, although my Sonnet is stable, not fast but stable. Avoid daisy chaining. Even with all those precautions, you may find a drive disappear now and then. Knock on wood, I haven't seen drives disappearing after making the adjustments, using more stable enclosures, and leaving the studio on 24/7 (the displays sleep).
A little late here. Does anyone know if this random disconnect issue still persists with M3 Macs and MBPs? I'm considering buying a new mac and probably will often use an external SSD. I know this issue is related to the recent mac OS upgrades but also wonder if the latest hardware will help. Thanks!

adonis3k

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
I think it comes down the enclosure. I bought this one which I could add an NVME and use the USB on it from 1 device. It would randomly disconnect and I would have to unplug it and plug it back it. Super annoying as it was my Time Machine back up aswell.
I had this connected to my Mac Mini M1 and recently got a Studio M1 Max, both had the same problem.
I ditched it and got a proper 40gbps enclosure from Acasis without any issues. Also my USB 3.1 Sabrent Nano works without any drop outs. Also have a Wavlink enclosure with a SN850X 4TB which works with no issues.

I was going to say maybe it is a power issue but looks like OP device has mains power so not sure, there is too many picky devices/chipsets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.