Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm curious about something. If you get a Mac Pro in a rackmount case and host it in a datacentre, are you allowed to run macOS virtual machines on it and provide access to them to clients?

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
Depends on the datacenter, but I would think so as its your hardware and you renting space and ips
No different than a bare metal dell server

Reactions: Cromulent

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I'm curious about something. If you get a Mac Pro in a rackmount case and host it in a datacentre, are you allowed to run macOS virtual machines on it and provide access to them to clients?

macOS VMs on Apple Silicon are limited in ways that they’re not on Intel. Eclectic Lighthouse had a recent article about it. Likely the model Apple is pursuing will be 1:1 for hardware and user - so Macstadium type thing where a whole machine can be rented by a single client.

Reactions: Cromulent

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Depends on the datacenter, but I would think so as its your hardware and you renting space and ips
No different than a bare metal dell server
Thank you. That is what I was hoping.
macOS VMs on Apple Silicon are limited in ways that they’re not on Intel. Eclectic Lighthouse had a recent article about it. Likely the model Apple is pursuing will be 1:1 for hardware and user - so Macstadium type thing where a whole machine can be rented by a single client.
Thank you. Do you happen to have a link to some more information on this? I looked at the Eclectic Lighthouse website but didn't see it.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Reactions: HDFan and Cromulent

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Thank you. It is a shame you can only run two virtualised macOS instances on each host.
The bigger problem is that you can't log in with your Apple ID. No iCloud, no App Store, no Apple Music, no AppleTV etc. It boggles the mind why Apple disallows access to an Apple ID from a VM when so much of their ecosystem depends on it. It makes a macOS VM almost useless.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
The bigger problem is that you can't log in with your Apple ID. No iCloud, no App Store, no Apple Music, no AppleTV etc. It boggles the mind why Apple disallows access to an Apple ID from a VM when so much of their ecosystem depends on it. It makes a macOS VM almost useless.

Completely useless as an alternative to buying a dedicated machine for each user. They don’t want people doing exactly what the OP is suggesting - renting a share of a single machine.

kvic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
With Apple Silicon Macs, Apple completes the last loop hole in its walled garden. Gains the ability to exert complete and tight control over its ecosystem and the users locked in. These funny restrictions on their VM framework running its own OS as guest just prove how powerful the control can be and how nasty Apple could become.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.