Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
Thanks for telling us.
You’re welcome.

gengar-cute-laugh-2s846klk8jhiz7mk.gif

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
M2 Air - Eye strain
M3 Air - Eye strain

In other words, no change. And Apple won't even provide a software switch to disable their "advanced" tech that is causing trouble for many of us.
I guess the M1 MacBook Air doesn't have the defect or I'm not susceptible. After years of using the Pro machines, I haven't had a problem with my MacBook Air.

It looks like the M3 MacBook Air is interesting enough to get my attention, though. Hopefully, they'll continue to enhance the graphics hardware.

robfoll

Contributor
Mar 22, 2020
It's a pretty strange conclusion from MR. The M3 is well worth the price difference and if $100 is the deal killer, go and buy a ChromeBook. o_O I'll be upgrading my 13/M2 just to get the twin displays and a bit of extra speed which never goes amiss!

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
You get better display, better speakers, better cooling, better battery life,512SSD, HDMI, SDXC card slot

Thank you. I looked at the specs page. It seems nice but then you look at the RAM and storage and price and display for $1999 and realize you can just get the MacBook Pro. 1 inch isn't worth it. (That's what she said.)

Don't get me wrong I know that's a big price jump. I'm just saying, if you're considering anything but the base model, just get a base model M3 Pro MacBook Pro instead

eric4

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
I purchased an M2 MacBook Air 15" Midnight (16/512) last week. I knew the M3 was likely coming this month, but I decided saving money on the M2 (on sale $300 off at BestBuy) was more important than an expected 15-18% increase in speed.

This morning I read Apple's announcement. In addition to a speed bump, the two monitor capability (with laptop closed) and new Midnight color anodization seal caught my attention. I had used my M2 for four days, for a total time of 3-4 hours. I decided it was worth $300 for the monitor capability, new anodization surface and speed bump.

I did a quick check on Best Buy's return policy, did a factory reset "Erase All Content and Settings", wiped off the fingerprints, and took it back to the store. Easy and quick return. I placed my order for the M3 MacBook Air 15" Midnight (16/512). It ships next week.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
I am vey sure that the support for up to two external displays is a software only thing so the M2 (or maybe eben M1) users might get it too...

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I purchased an M2 MacBook Air 15" Midnight (16/512) last week. I knew the M3 was likely coming this month, but I decided saving money on the M2 (on sale $300 off at BestBuy) was more important than an expected 15-18% increase in speed.

This morning I read Apple's announcement. In addition to a speed bump, the two monitor capability (with laptop closed) and new Midnight color anodization seal caught my attention. I had used my M2 for four days, for a total time of 3-4 hours. I decided it was worth $300 for the monitor capability, new anodization surface and speed bump.

I did a quick check on Best Buy's return policy, did a factory reset "Erase All Content and Settings", wiped off the fingerprints, and took it back to the store. Easy and quick return. I placed my order for the M3 MacBook Air 15" Midnight (16/512). It ships next week.
Congrats! Enjoy your new laptop with the latest technology!

And remember to share your experience with fingerprints if you don’t mind, given that you’ll be able to compare the Midnight M2 vs the Midnight M3.

Reactions: eric4

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
RIP wedge shaped Macbook Air and kudos Apple for now allowing the Macbook Air to have 2 external monitors attached when the lid is closed + support for AV1 codec. This is Great!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chuckeee

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
You get better display, better speakers, better cooling, better battery life,512SSD, HDMI, SDXC card slot
Any ideas on whether the 512ssd on the M3 would also be crippled with 2 nand chips like the m2?

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
If someone custom configures an M2 MacBook Air, that brings its price higher than that of the entry model M3 MacBook Air. Who in his right mind would ever do that? That makes absolutely no sense. Is Tim Cook really this stupid? Maybe we should start referring to him as Dim Cook.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
If someone custom configures an M2 MacBook Air, that brings its price higher than that of the entry model M3 MacBook Air. Who in his right mind would ever do that? That makes absolutely no sense. Is Tim Cook really this stupid? Maybe we should start referring to him as Dim Cook.
But it is consistent across multiple Apple computers.
BTO M3 MacBook Pro to M3Pro MacBook Pro
BTO M2Pro mini to Binned M2 Studio
BTO M3Pro MBP to lowest M3Max MBP

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
While a good write up, I feel it might be missing the point. People with M2 chips laptops wont be the ideal target for people upgrading. Maybe a write up against an M1 chip or the last intel chip might be more inline with who would be targeting this laptop.

Nick_P

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2020
I've had the M2 Air 13" version since it came out, and the screen has been perfect for me. I'm surprised to read a few people on this thread had eye strain.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa

Apple today brought the MacBook Air up to date with its latest-generation Apple silicon. The company has reworked the lineup and its pricing, phasing out the M1 machine from 2020 and discontinuing the 15-inch M2 MacBook Air introduced in June 2023, so which model should you buy?

M2-MBA-vs-M3-MacBook-Air-Buyers-Guide-Feature.jpg

The 2024 MacBook Air is available in 13.6- and 15.3-inch display sizes just like its predecessor, with the smaller model starting at $1,099 and the larger model starting at $1,299. The 13.6-inch MacBook Air with the M2 chip from 2022 remains in the lineup, now at a price of $999. This means that buyers have the choice between the 2022 MacBook Air, its 2024 successor, and a big-screen variant of the 2024 model. It is also worth remembering that it is possible to shave at least $100 off the price of a new MacBook Air directly from Apple with education pricing.

Read on to find out about all of the differences between the M2 and M3 MacBook Air models to help you decide which model is best for you, as well as if it may be worth upgrading.

M2 vs. M3 Chip

The main upgrade offered by the 2024 MacBook Air models is the M3 chip. In benchmark tests, the M3 outperforms the ‌M2‌ by about 17% in single-core tasks and approximately 21% in multi-core tasks. In GPU performance measured by Metal benchmarks, the M3 exhibits a notable improvement of around 15% over the ‌M2‌.

M2 ChipM3 Chip
Based on A15 Bionic chip from iPhone 13 (2021)Based on A17 Pro chip from iPhone 15 Pro (2023)
Enhanced 5nm node (N5P)3nm node (N3B)
20 billion transistors25 billion transistors
3.49 GHz CPU clock speed4.05 GHz CPU clock speed
Neural Engine15% faster Neural Engine
Support for AV1 decode
New GPU architecture
Dynamic Caching
Hardware-accelerated ray tracing
Hardware-accelerated mesh shading

The M3 chip introduces an all-new GPU architecture. This architecture includes Dynamic Caching, a breakthrough feature that optimizes GPU memory allocation and utilization, adapting in real-time to varying task demands. This enhancement not only boosts graphics performance for intensive applications but also bolsters the chip's overall energy efficiency. This is particularly beneficial for graphics-heavy tasks like advanced video editing, 3D rendering, and gaming. It also features support for AV1 video decode to provide more efficient and higher-quality video from streaming services.

Despite similarities in the 16-core Neural Engine between the ‌M2‌ and M3, the M3's adoption of a ‌3nm‌ fabrication process leads to more efficient execution of machine learning and AI tasks. Additionally, the M3 maintains up to 24GB of unified memory, just like the ‌M2‌, but leverages the new process for more efficient memory bandwidth utilization.

One other notable difference between the ‌M2‌ and M3 chips is their energy efficiency. The ‌3nm‌ fabrication process enables the M3 to achieve higher performance without a proportional increase in power consumption, making the chip particularly appealing for laptop users who value a balance between power and battery life.

Overall, the M3 chip is a considerable upgrade from the ‌M2‌, distinguished by its higher transistor count, improved performance in CPU and GPU tasks, and superior energy efficiency. While the M3 offers clear advancements, the extent of its superiority does not necessitate an immediate upgrade for current ‌M2‌ users, especially if their existing workflows are still completed comfortably. For new buyers or those upgrading from older models, the M3's improvements in performance and efficiency will be much more pronounced.

Other Differences

There are a number of other notable differences between the two MacBook Air generations beyond their chips. While these upgrades are fairly small, they are worth bearing in mind when contemplating whether to get the latest model.

M2 MacBook Air (2022 and 2023)M3 MacBook Air (2024)
Available with 13.6-inch display only, 15.3-inch model discontinuedAvailable with both 13.6- and 15.3-inch display size options
Support for one external displaySupport for up to two external displays when the lid is closed
Voice Isolation and Wide Spectrum microphone modes
Enhanced voice clarity in audio and video calls
Wi-Fi 6 supportWi-Fi 6E support
Anodization seal to reduce fingerprints with Midnight finish
Starts at $999Starts at $1,099

Final Thoughts

Overall, the M3 MacBook Air is a minor upgrade over its predecessor, largely focusing on enhanced performance rather than new capabilities. Its main target audience is those who have an older MacBook Air, such as an M1 or Intel-based model, or no MacBook Air at all.

Unless you can leverage the specific advantages of the M3 chip and require maximum performance from its highly portable form factor, it is likely not worth buying the M3 MacBook Air over the M2 MacBook Air for most users. However, if future-proofing is a major priority because you tend to keep your computer for many years, the extra $100 to get the latest model will probably be warranted. The M3 model's support for two external displays may also justifiably swing your buying decision if you have multiple monitors.

If you plan to buy a new MacBook Air from Apple and want the larger, 15.3-inch model, then the latest M3 model is your only option as the M2 15.3-inch machine has now been discontinued. That being said, the M2 15.3-inch MacBook Air is still readily available second-hand, refurbished, and from third-... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: M2 vs. M3 MacBook Air Buyer's Guide: All Differences Compared

It's this sort of stuff that makes me wish, unreasonably, that you could just swap the processor.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

SpanishAppleNerd

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2023
Badajoz
MR states "not worth buying the M3 ‌MacBook Air‌ over the ‌M2‌ ‌MacBook Air‌ for most users" but I strongly disagree. Folks buy MBAs for mobility, so WiFi 6E alone makes M3 the way to go. All the other benefits like 2 external displays also add value, making the MR statement flat wrong.

Obviously it gets to real-world price differences as determinant, but at the $100 difference quoted M3 is the only right choice.
Not worth for me. Not changing my 15" M2 at least until the M6 or M7 generation

Reactions: System603

Olako

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2024
Noob here;

Can someone explain to me howcome the battery life hasn't been bumped up when the M3 is more energy efficient?

ArgoSantifex

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
Can someone help me choose which Macbook Air I should buy. I’m based in the UK and work in Marketing. I 100% want a Macbook Air 15 but not sure if I should aim for the M2 or M3. I‘ve just purchased the MBA Air 15 M2 16GB 256 to try via the Apple Refurbished Store for £1309 but my company also has a contract with a Reseller where I can buy the MBA Air M3 16GB 512 for £1478.

The only thing really drawing me in to the M3 is the whole 2 monitor setups as I’d want to replace my work machine with this new laptop. At work I have 2 monitors but I have a Lenovo ThinkPad USB-C DisplayLink Dock so I’m pretty sure I can use 2 monitors through it (will test on Monday) but I’m concerned about throttling because of the way DisplayLink technology works and also because I’m constantly in Video Calls on Teams which have be heavy resources wise. At home I have one monitor with a Dell USB-C Dock which is straight video out via USB-C to HDMI so I don’t anticipate there to be issues.

The upgrade from M2 to M3 would be £169 but none of the other changes would impact me as I don’t do much with video. What would you do?

Greggers135

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
United States
Can someone help me choose which Macbook Air I should buy. I’m based in the UK and work in Marketing. I 100% want a Macbook Air 15 but not sure if I should aim for the M2 or M3. I‘ve just purchased the MBA Air 15 M2 16GB 256 to try via the Apple Refurbished Store for £1309 but my company also has a contract with a Reseller where I can buy the MBA Air M3 16GB 512 for £1478.

The only thing really drawing me in to the M3 is the whole 2 monitor setups as I’d want to replace my work machine with this new laptop. At work I have 2 monitors but I have a Lenovo ThinkPad USB-C DisplayLink Dock so I’m pretty sure I can use 2 monitors through it (will test on Monday) but I’m concerned about throttling because of the way DisplayLink technology works and also because I’m constantly in Video Calls on Teams which have be heavy resources wise. At home I have one monitor with a Dell USB-C Dock which is straight video out via USB-C to HDMI so I don’t anticipate there to be issues.

The upgrade from M2 to M3 would be £169 but none of the other changes would impact me as I don’t do much with video. What would you do?
I run a M2 13" Air with a Dell DisplayLink Dock and 2x external monitors. No issues with Video Calls, but I am not on them all the time. Keep in mind with the M3 Air dual display support the laptop lid has to be closed to support the externals so you would loose the built in camera on the MacBook and would have to use an external camera either through webcam or iPhone Continuity Camera.

Johnnyponken

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
I've had my M2 MacBook Air going on for two years... I'll probably keep it for 2 to 3 more and upgrade whenever we finally get an OLED MacBook Air.
Whaaaaat, so the MacBook Air still doesn’t have an OLED panel? What panel is it using? To me “Air” and “OLED” go hand in hand. I am absolutely surprised it doesn’t have Oled 🫨

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.