Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a:s:m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023

Issue with HDR mode when using 175Hz Refresh Rate at Native Resolution and at HiDPI resolutions on BetterDisplay 1.4.10 with Mac Mini M2 Pro and Alienware AW3423DW

Introduction:
I am using BetterDisplay 1.4.10 on a Mac Mini M2 Pro (running the latest MacOS Ventura) connected to an Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED display with HDR support. The screen is connected via a DisplayPort 1.4 to Type-C adapter from CableMatters.

Issue Description:
When using the native resolution on my Alienware AW3423DW, the HDR mode can be toggled within System Settings > Displays, and BetterDisplay shows a checkmark for enabling HDR mode. The display enters HDR mode as confirmed visually and by the screen's OSD. At Refresh Rate of 3440x1440@175Hz, the HDR Toggle turns all colors Green-ish with a bit of Blue on some darker Desktop windows. My guess is that the Red Channel Info is missing from the signal at 3440x1440xHDR@75Hz.

Problem:
However, when using any HiDPI resolutions from BetterDisplay (either directly or within System Settings > Displays), HDR mode is automatically disabled and the HDR toggle disappears from both System Settings and BetterDisplay. The display becomes too bright and colors become oversaturated without HDR mode enabled, making it unusable.

Additional Details:

• The HDR option is available for native resolution at 175Hz but causes a green screen effect. Lowering the refresh rate to 144Hz resolves the green screen issue.
  • The HDR toggle is removed for HiDPI resolutions above 100Hz.
  • The HDR toggle is always available for LoDPI/Native Resolution at all refresh rates, including the one causing a "Green Screen."
  • The green screen issue with HDR@175Hz occurred first with a stock Mac Mini M2 Pro without any additional software, ruling out potential software conflicts.

In summary, I am experiencing an issue with HDR mode when using HiDPI resolutions on BetterDisplay 1.4.10 with my Mac Mini M2 Pro and Alienware AW3423DW display. The HDR mode is disabled and the toggle disappears, causing the display to become too bright and colors to be oversaturated. I am seeking assistance to resolve this issue.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I think all depends on your Display! Is connect via HDMI or USB C? I find only Thunderbolt 3 or 4 cable can carry those settings you described if the Didspay is capable of Supporting the settings, so did run at the recommended settings for the display?

a:s:m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2023
I think all depends on your Display! Is connect via HDMI or USB C? I find only Thunderbolt 3 or 4 cable can carry those settings you described if the Didspay is capable of Supporting the settings, so did run at the recommended settings for the display?

As I said both in the thread title + opening paragraph: The screen is connected via a DisplayPort 1.4 to Type-C adapter from CableMatters.

I'm also only getting 8-bit color depth at all resolutions and refresh rates, and not 10-bit color depth (my Display is 10-bit display and supports 10-bit at 4:4:4 Chroma under windows)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"The HDR option is available for native resolution at 175Hz but causes a green screen effect. Lowering the refresh rate to 144Hz resolves the green screen issue."

Looks to me like you've found "the answer" (for better or worse) in the sentence above.

Rankrotten

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
UK
As I said both in the thread title + opening paragraph: The screen is connected via a DisplayPort 1.4 to Type-C adapter from CableMatters.

I'm also only getting 8-bit color depth at all resolutions and refresh rates, and not 10-bit color depth (my Display is 10-bit display and supports 10-bit at 4:4:4 Chroma under windows)
Same issue here with M2 Pro Mac mini and Better Display indicating 8bpc output at all resolutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.