Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultra truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Hello, I need your advice. I have sensitive eyes. I usually develop eye strain quickly due to screen use. Because of this, I have to use the screens at quite low brightness (probably something like 10-15 nits). Previously I had to use Eizo monitors because they can work at very low brightness. But now I had to become a nomad so I can only use a laptop.

So I want to try a MacBook (never used one before) but I'm unsure if it can work at low brightness like I need. Apple usually advertises as an advantage that each new model is brighter than the previous ones.
How bright is the M3 MacBook screen at low brightness settings? Also, while I'm primarily interested in the M3, I'm also interested in past M models in that context.
I don't have the opportunity to go to the store and compare so I need your advice.

P.S. I find it quite difficult to find a laptop with a suitable screen. I recently had to return an Asus with an OLED screen. It can work at fairly low brightness and the screen looks great, but my eyes reacted quite strangely. So I decided to return it and try the MacBook.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
If you do get one, you might want to install this to help with the brightness.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/quickshade/id931571202?mt=12

Screenshot 2023-11-18 at 19.18.09.png

ultra truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
thanks, but at least on Windows using such software to lower brightness means that the backlight will not lower, it just dims the screen using the LCD. Does it work the same way on Mac or it will lower exactly the backlight?

How about you install and try it out? Or go to an Apple Store and ask a Genius to help you out with a test? Apple's retail operation is so amazingly helpful and oriented toward solving customers' problems. The amount of effort Apple puts into macOS accessibility is quite remarkable, so we can be sure they are sensitive to customers' special needs.

Maybe you have a friend who owns a MacBook Pro who would let you try.

Pro Tip: Sound volume and display brightness may be raised and lowered with more granularity by holding SHIFT + OPTION while adjusting with the brightness function keys. I just tried it out and this method enabled me to lower brightness even below the "lowest" level.

Last edited:

ultra truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
How about you install and try it out? Or go to an Apple Store and ask a Genius to help you out with a test? Apple's retail operation is so amazingly helpful and oriented toward solving customers' problems. The amount of effort Apple puts into macOS accessibility is quite remarkable, so we can be sure they are sensitive to customers' special needs.

Maybe you have a friend who owns a MacBook Pro who would let you try.

Pro Tip: Sound volume and display brightness may be raised and lowered with more granularity by holding Shift + Option while adjusting with the function keys. I just tried it out and this method enabled me to lower brightness even below the "lowest" level.
thanks, it might be useful, but for now, I'm trying to figure out whether a MacBook is suitable for my case and whether I should buy it. I don’t have it and therefore I can’t install this app. Like I said, I don't have the opportunity to try it in the store. That's the reason I'm asking here.

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
thanks, it might be useful, but for now, I'm trying to figure out whether a MacBook is suitable for my case and whether I should buy it. I don’t have it and therefore I can’t install this app. Like I said, I don't have the opportunity to try it in the store. That's the reason I'm asking here.

From what I can tell, the backlight is also dimmed. But I am not as sensitive as you. This is a $4000 purchase — are testimonials of random strangers on the Internet sufficient to make such an outlay? If I were buying a car or a house, or even a pair of pants, I'd damn sure personally check out suitability for my needs.

But if you truly cannot do this, I suggest you buy direct from Apple's online store. They take returns unconditionally for 14 days after purchase (well, they do ask why, but your answer is immaterial to your return right), and I think they even pay the postage. Try my SHIFT + OPTION brightness suggestion, try out the suggested brightness utilities, and then make up your mind whether you want to keep it. On Black Friday they may even give you a discount.

Good luck!

P.S. — Are you a veteran? Veterans and active-duty military get 10% off at Apple Stores and Apple's online store.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultra truth

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
There's also another app I use with a free level that gives more detailed brightness control…BetterDisplay 2.

So if you do order a Mac you can try this one out, also.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
thanks, but at least on Windows using such software to lower brightness means that the backlight will not lower, it just dims the screen using the LCD. Does it work the same way on Mac or it will lower exactly the backlight?
It usually dims the backlight, at least in my experience.

As someone else said, go to the Apple Store and ask them. They are extremely customer centric and they would be able to answer these questions, and you'll be able to see it for yourself, in person.

ultra truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
From what I can tell, the backlight is also dimmed. But I am not as sensitive as you. This is a $4000 purchase — are testimonials of random strangers on the Internet sufficient to make such an outlay? If I were buying a car or a house, or even a pair of pants, I'd damn sure personally check out suitability for my needs.

But if you truly cannot do this, I suggest you buy direct from Apple's online store. They take returns unconditionally for 14 days after purchase (well, they do ask why, but your answer is immaterial to your return right), and I think they even pay the postage. Try my SHIFT + OPTION brightness suggestion, try out the suggested brightness utilities, and then make up your mind whether you want to keep it. On Black Friday they may even give you a discount.

Good luck!

P.S. — Are you a veteran? Veterans and active-duty military get 10% off at Apple Stores and Apple's online store.
no, I'm not from US.
thanks, yes, I guess I'll have to try it anyway

ultra truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
There's also another app I use with a free level that gives more detailed brightness control…BetterDisplay 2.

So if you do order a Mac you can try this one out, also.
thank you

ultra truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
It usually dims the backlight, at least in my experience.

As someone else said, go to the Apple Store and ask them. They are extremely customer centric and they would be able to answer these questions, and you'll be able to see it for yourself, in person.
unfortunately, I'm unable to do it because of severe disability.
but anyway, several people think it dims it, so there are good chances. and if this works that way, that might be a solution for me, thank you.

ksj1

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2018
Don't forget to check out night shift. It lets you reduce the level of blue light from the display(s), which is what I am sensitive to. It helps a lot.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Hello, I need your advice. I have sensitive eyes. I usually develop eye strain quickly due to screen use. Because of this, I have to use the screens at quite low brightness (probably something like 10-15 nits). Previously I had to use Eizo monitors because they can work at very low brightness. But now I had to become a nomad so I can only use a laptop.

So I want to try a MacBook (never used one before) but I'm unsure if it can work at low brightness like I need. Apple usually advertises as an advantage that each new model is brighter than the previous ones.
How bright is the M3 MacBook screen at low brightness settings? Also, while I'm primarily interested in the M3, I'm also interested in past M models in that context.
I don't have the opportunity to go to the store and compare so I need your advice.

P.S. I find it quite difficult to find a laptop with a suitable screen. I recently had to return an Asus with an OLED screen. It can work at fairly low brightness and the screen looks great, but my eyes reacted quite strangely. So I decided to return it and try the MacBook.
Is there some kind of film or something you could apply to a display to dial down the brightness?

ultra truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Is there some kind of film or something you could apply to a display to dial down the brightness?
yes, of course, I think it's possible, but why bother? I guess it's much more comfortable to find a laptop able to provide the required brightness :)

mrflibbles

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2016
uk
Nothing definitive, but a couple of mentions:

This site claims minimum brightness is ~0.05 cd/m3, which I find suspiciously low.

This review of the M2 macbook pro claims 2 cd/m3, which seems more realistic and if true, probably low enough.

I suffer from brightness eyestrain too, so I'm always on the lookout for dim screens :). For mobile screens, the best site by far is https://www.displaymate.com/, unfortunately they don't cover laptops.

One thing to bear in mind is that there have been complains about the use of PWM (pulse width modulation) in Macbook displays, which can cause flickering at lower brightness. But not all people can perceive it, and many aren't bothered if they do. YMMV.

Good luck.

ultra truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
Nothing definitive, but a couple of mentions:

This site claims minimum brightness is ~0.05 cd/m3, which I find suspiciously low.

This review of the M2 macbook pro claims 2 cd/m3, which seems more realistic and if true, probably low enough.

I suffer from brightness eyestrain too, so I'm always on the lookout for dim screens :). For mobile screens, the best site by far is https://www.displaymate.com/, unfortunately they don't cover laptops.

One thing to bear in mind is that there have been complains about the use of PWM (pulse width modulation) in Macbook displays, which can cause flickering at lower brightness. But not all people can perceive it, and many aren't bothered if they do. YMMV.

Good luck.
thank you. I'm currently testing M3 Pro. The screen brightness can be adjusted really low, so everything is great with minimal brightness.
But so far it seems like I have an eye-strain. Significantly stronger compared to my previous laptop. Sad because I like this laptop. I'm planning to test it for several days to understand better if it works for me.

ksj1

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2018
But so far it seems like I have an eye-strain. Significantly stronger compared to my previous laptop.
You have probably looked already, but there are a number of adjustments that can be made in system settings->accessibility->display, including contrast intensity, color intensity, etc.

ultra truth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2022
You have probably looked already, but there are a number of adjustments that can be made in system settings->accessibility->display, including contrast intensity, color intensity, etc.
yes, thanks.
I'm trying different settings, but since the symptoms don't develop instantly it's quite difficult to understand how it affects. it will take time.
Perhaps the whole point is simply that it is impossible to accurately set exactly the same brightness on an old laptop and on a MacBook, so the comparison conditions may differ. If I'll make my old laptop's screen a bit brighter it will also cause eye strain because my eyes already get used to the same brightness level. So I can't be sure that makes it in the case of MacBook

Reactions: ksj1

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
But so far it seems like I have an eye-strain. Significantly stronger compared to my previous laptop. Sad because I like this laptop. I'm planning to test it for several days to understand better if it works for me.

Oh, man. I'm sorry to hear that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.