Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Apple put much slower, single NAND storage chips in the 256GB iMacs with M3 but the new MacBook Airs with M3 all have much quicker, dual-chip 256GB SSDs...

Doubt that the majority of users will notice the differences, or even care if they do happen to have both machines and do notice the difference.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Doubt that the majority of users will notice the differences, or even care if they do happen to have both machines and do notice the difference.

I believe that I belong to the majority of users in your term. And I won't notice the difference or care.
Thus I buy and use iMac 11,1 with SATA SSD and be very happy with the snappy experience, while paying only a portion of even a second hand M1 mini base model.
If one emphasizes on the user experience, he/she doesn't have to pay top dollars for newest base model Macs. Upgraded old Macs will runs just fine and serves well basic needs of light usage.

signuphere

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2017
As someone who just bought an M3 iMac with 256 of storage, this is slightly disappointing. I guess I should have splurged on storage but I didn't as I have a difficult time filling a 256 GB as it is. No, I'm not going to exchange it.

This goes to show you, pay the "Apple tax" now or cry latter...which is why I spec'd mine with 24 GB RAM for example even though I really don't need it because I'm a non-productive recreational user but I thought that the extra RAM would be a nice cushion.

ViVaLuv

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Is this too bad or expected based on lesser free space (M3 24GB - 256GB)
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 12.35.53 AM.png

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
M1 256 read 2700 write 1500.

M3 256 read 1500 write 1500.

Not sure why. Slightly disappointing.

bigger NAND chips for capacity means fewer chips needed for baseline
fewer chips = less parallel thrughput

if you want fast storage, don't buy base model. pretty much has always been the case even going back to hard drives - if storing the same amount of data, larger hard drives are faster due to the storage density vs. rotation speed and track seek.

SSDs get faster with more NAND chips.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Most users in day to day use can't tell the difference between SATA and m.2 SSDs. And SATA is like 30-50% the speed of the slowest Mac SSD you can currently buy. LTT even blind tested it to confirm.

WC7

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2018
Not too worried about this all, but am worried about on-board AI processing (memory + RAM speed (+ amount all may have implications) ... seems the on-board AI neural engine cores are more critical(?). I have no real understanding of the types of AI Apple is aiming for, but computers seem to be sliding that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.