Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
Friends
Day before yesterday i bought M3 iMac which came preinstalled with Ventura and i just upgraded to Sonoma (not fresh Installation), while i was on facetime my friend told me my video is behaving strange, then i checked my webcam in facetime, quicktime and in photo booth, i recorded a small clip where you can see if i move my head lil bit my specs started jugging, i dont know why this is happening, then i visited apple store to check other M3 iMac and they are working fine. Please help what should i do?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Oh weird! I remember reading about some feature that supposedly manipulates your image to make it look more like you're making eye contact directly with the camera (as opposed to having your eyeline be just below the camera since you're actually looking at the screen below). It looks like that's just glitching while it tries to deal with your glasses.

I'm not sure if this feature can be turned off or what.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
First run Safe Mode, reboot and see if it still does it. If so then do a iMac Diagnostics. See if there is a hardware fault.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
I have formatted the internal SSD and tried doing fresh installation of SONOMA, but it said Sonoma is not compatible with this iMac, then i clean installed Ventura and this webcam issue is solved, but how come this sonoma is not compatible showing while clean installation whereas after installing ventura in software update its showing me Sonoma 14.3 (6.95gb) to upgrade it, now i am afraid to doing it, i am interested in clean installation of sonoma.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
Tested everything and found that sonoma has this kind of strange webcam thing, in ventura it doesnt have any problem, and now i checked on my m1 macbook pro which is sonoma installed and same webcam happening, please check your devices and let me know if anyone has solution

wayne905

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
Maple, Ontario, Canada
I'm noticing ghosting on my brand new m3 iMac as well - which is most prevalent under lower lighting conditions. it was pretty drastic the moment I started up FaceTime. I checked my m3 MacBook Pro - it has a bit of ghosting - but not as much as the iMac

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
I'm noticing ghosting on my brand new m3 iMac as well - which is most prevalent under lower lighting conditions. it was pretty drastic the moment I started up FaceTime. I checked my m3 MacBook Pro - it has a bit of ghosting - but not as much as the iMac
are you using Sonoma in both Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.