Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I just got my base M3 MacBook Air 13 inch model to replace my M1 version but the advertised feature of been able to use two external displays with the clamshell mode is not working for me. It behaves the exact same way that my M1 MacBook Air behaved whenever I connected it to two external displays and on my case, it's even worse because the behavior is the exact same with the lid closed. Am I the only one experiencing this with the M3 MacBook Air? For me this is a deal breaker.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I just got my base M3 MacBook Air 13 inch model to replace my M1 version but the advertised feature of been able to use two external displays with the clamshell mode is not working for me. It behaves the exact same way that my M1 MacBook Air behaved whenever I connected it to two external displays and on my case, it's even worse because the behavior is the exact same with the lid closed. Am I the only one experiencing this with the M3 MacBook Air? For me this is a deal breaker.
I’m curious. I never tried a second display with my M2 MacBook Air. What is the behavior?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
It just duplicates the external monitor's display unto the second external display such that they both mirror each other. My M3 unit still displays the same behavior even after following the Apple support article for external monitors.

Apple Support - M3 External Displays
All the review videos I’ve seen show the second display turn off if you open the laptop. I’d contact Apple and see if they can explain it.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
All the review videos I’ve seen show the second display turn off if you open the laptop. I’d contact Apple and see if they can explain it.
Already did but am waiting to hear back from them regarding the issue. Just wanted to confirm that nobody else have encountered the same problem.

tbd0

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2024
Are you connecting two displays via a single usb-c port and a hub or via two separate ports?

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I can confirm it works in clamshell mode. I have a Dell 6K 60hz monitor daisy chained with a LG Ergo 28 inch, connected via tb4 port from dell 6k, both displays come up in native resolutions at 60hz.

So happy with this macbook air.
Do you happen to do particular steps like closing the lid before connecting or turning on the second external display or it displays a different content on the second screen as soon as you close the lid?

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
So funny you ask that.

I've noticed that if the LG comes up first, it forces the Dell 6K to 4K for whatever reason. I can keep it in clamshell but I have to connect the Dell 6k first, make sure it's awake, then connect the LG either in the Dell's TB port for daisy chain, or the second tb4 port of the mba.

It kind of sucks because I use my work laptop and this laptop for the two displays so I have to unplug and replug it in.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
So funny you ask that.

I've noticed that if the LG comes up first, it forces the Dell 6K to 4K for whatever reason. I can keep it in clamshell but I have to connect the Dell 6k first, make sure it's awake, then connect the LG either in the Dell's TB port for daisy chain, or the second tb4 port of the mba.

It kind of sucks because I use my work laptop and this laptop for the two displays so I have to unplug and replug it in.
Please report this as a bug to Apple. Obviously if you have a 6K display and only one port can support 6K then the OS should prioritize that display. Not surprising that such a new feature has some issues.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.