Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
Better gaming only question. Anyone that has tested the M3 MacBook Pro 12-c cpu/18-core gpu /18 gb memory and MacBook Pro Max 12-c/30-c gpu 36 gb memory and better games at high settings and notice any noticeable difference between the two that affects the gaming pleasure? Also thinking of any future games that may be coming out that will make more demanding GPU-core requirements.

PC rigs and gaming consoles are off the table at the moment.

• Haha
Reactions: Irishman

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Better gaming only question. Anyone that has tested the M3 MacBook Pro 12-c cpu/18-core gpu /18 gb memory and MacBook Pro Max 12-c/30-c gpu 36 gb memory and better games at high settings and notice any noticeable difference between the two that affects the gaming pleasure? Also thinking of any future games that may be coming out that will make more demanding GPU-core requirements.

More GPU cores is always going to be ideal.

Reactions: Irishman and 3Rock

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

What do you mean by "off the table at the moment?" There's the Steam Deck

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
What do you mean by "off the table at the moment?" There's the Steam Deck
Thank you for the reply. Off the table for now means that I’m debating on a notebook computer over a Mac studio display and M3 studio when they are announced hopefully next year for my aging (78) eyes. I do like to have higher FPS in my games. I cannot see going to a steam deck. Flight Sim games, as well as Tomb raider type games. Portability is best, but a desktop would also fit my needs but for now I’m leaning towards a MacBook Pro max 14 inch for portability.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Thank you for the reply. Off the table for now means that I’m debating on a notebook computer over a Mac studio display and M3 studio when they are announced hopefully next year for my aging (78) eyes. I do like to have higher FPS in my games. I cannot see going to a steam deck. Flight Sim games, as well as Tomb raider type games. Portability is best, but a desktop would also fit my needs but for now I’m leaning towards a MacBook Pro max 14 inch for portability.

The Steam Deck OLED was recently released and it has a 90hz screen. You can also use a Steam Deck in desktop mode by plugging in a USB-C dock. Valve also offers an official dock for the Deck but any dock will work.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
I want to thank everybody for their help. After going back-and-forth and forth and back, I decided to get myself a razor blade 14 inch with 32 GB of memory, 1 terabyte SSD. This is for AAA gaming that so far Apple is lacking the games that I want.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
For real…
It gets even better now. Tried the razor 14 and found that the games I played made me nauseous (Halo / far cry, etc). Probably has something to do with my health now. So I return the razor blade 14” and back looking at something more reasonable from Apple. MacBook Pro, perhaps. 🤪 Microsoft flight sim was good And I hope I can probably continue playing that on a MacBook Pro with a good level of FPS.

• Haha

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
It gets even better now. Tried the razor 14 and found that the games I played made me nauseous (Halo / far cry, etc). Probably has something to do with my health now. So I return the razor blade 14” and back looking at something more reasonable from Apple. MacBook Pro, perhaps. 🤪 Microsoft flight sim was good And I hope I can probably continue playing that on a MacBook Pro with a good level of FPS.
Ah, you probably needed to increase the FOV (field of view) of the FPS games to reduce that.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
Ah, you probably needed to increase the FOV (field of view) of the FPS games to reduce that.
Didn’t know that. However, too late it went back. Now I’ll just go ahead and look at the MacBook Pro for normal use and play simple games like tomb raider and X plane 12. Thank you much.

Reactions: diamond.g
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.