Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
Is this because the M3 MAX 48GB has more ram to work with so it might as well use it?

Also my M2 Max is the 30 core vs 40 on my M3 Max so maybe it needs/wants more to run smoothly.

I noticed right after turning it on it was using 5-6 gb ram so the base M3 must be restraint

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
Also iv noticed that app memory and wired memory doesn't add up to the 32.90GB of memory used

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 00.29.49.png

Last edited:

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
This video explains pretty must everything in the first 5 mins and why its using more.

Basically the Mac will give as much ram as it wants to make things faster / run smoother.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Also iv noticed that app memory and wired memory doesn't add up to the 32.90GB of memory used
Frequently App Memory + Wired Memory + Compressed is greater than Memory Used. My experience is, mostly with Intel not AS, so there may be some differences there. The discrepancies are likely because App Memory is not well defined in terms of underlying memory management counters.

Also, your screenshot shows Used + Cached = 48.89 which is greater than 48!

On my Mac I always see Memory Used + Cached Files + Free Memory > Physical RAM! Free Memory (not shown in Activity Monitor) is one of the counters shown by using the command vm_stat. And if Free Memory is small this becomes Memory Used + Cached Files > Physical RAM.

I believe this arises because the values in Activity Monitor come from adding multiple memory management counters. The Used + Cached > Physical comes, I believe, from adding the same counter into both Used and Cached. The counter might well be Paged Purged - run vm_stat to see this. I have no hard evidence for this - just observation of vm_stat and Activity Monitor.

I reported this in July FB12796112

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.