Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Not sure if there are many Resident Evil fans on these forums but holy smokes am I impressed with how the M3 Max is running RE4 Remake. With every single setting maxed out and running at native res on the 16 inch MBP, I'm getting a solid 90fps (some dips down to the 70s in intense action and highs of 120). This is unreal considering it's a AAA game released this year. I also tried it out on the Pro Display XDR and was able to get a solid 60fps running at 4K on max settings, even at 6K I was still getting around 40fps which was playable.

So impressed - can't recommend it enough (especially as it's 50% off currently). Happy gaming y'all :)

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
The game itself is an 18 year old game, which granted, has been specifically coded for the M-series with graphic improvements.

That said, I am surprised if it's running at native display support or the "retina" resolution.
Not sure if you’ve played the OG and the remake but they are completely different games, remake is made from the ground up, rather than being the OG with better graphics - very much on par with other AAA games in 2023 in terms of graphics and is substantially different from the OG in most areas.

Seeing is believing :)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Not sure if you’ve played the OG and the remake but they are completely different games, remake is made from the ground up, rather than being the OG with better graphics - very much on par with other AAA games in 2023 in terms of graphics and is substantially different from the OG in most areas.

Seeing is believing :)
Ahhh, that I did not know.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I’ve been purposely waiting for the next-gen Switch console so I can play it once they inevitably release it there, but who knows how long that will be.

It’s so tempting to buy at 50% off…

Reactions: Onimusha370

lm57400

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
A computer that can run years old game, wow thanks Apple here’s my 4k$
You don’t understand what this is about: the story of the game is years old. The game was re-designed and programmed for the newest M-chips. It’s technically a completely new game specifically for these processors. That’s what console game developers do also sometimes so they can release an improved remake for new console generations. The Resident Evil 4 from 18 years ago would also be possible to play on older Macs, iPhones and iPads…

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Just throwing in some context because there is a lot of misunderstanding here:

Recommended Windows GPU hardware for this game is a Desktop GTX 1070 for 1080/60fps, or an RTX 2070 if RT is used.

Not sure what res OP is running, but assuming at least 1080p, it IS impressive that Apple can put this much GPU horsepower in a thin, light notebook with great battery life.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Recommended Windows GPU hardware for this game is a Desktop GTX 1070 for 1080/60fps, or an RTX 2070 if RT is used.

lol. The former is a ~$225 card, the later is $100-ish more, depending on brand and value-adds. In the scope of PC gaming hardware, both are low end.

But hey, whatever makes people happy. As much as I absolutely rely on my Macs to run my business, I can't fathom using them for gaming.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
lol. The former is a ~$225 card, the later is $100-ish more, depending on brand and value-adds. In the scope of PC gaming hardware, both are low end.

Look, I love my Macs. They're my main work computers and I couldn't do my job without them. But gaming? No way. Right tool for the job, always.
I think you missed the bit about “desktop” performance in a “laptop”.

For gaming, I wouldn’t buy a Mac either. My new Windows desktop with 4090 runs everything 4K max settings. But it’s not exactly portable, and I can’t use it at all without it being plugged in.

If I was spending thousands of dollars on a mac laptop for work, it would be nice to know that it can power through modern games like a champ as well. Not as much need to also buy something for games, if that’s something you do.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010

Not sure what res OP is running, but assuming at least 1080p, it IS impressive that Apple can put this much GPU horsepower in a thin, light notebook with great battery life.
Yep agreed - running at native res which I think is 3456x2234 from memory (slightly less pixels than 4K). First Mac laptop I've ever owned that really feels like it can deal with anything I throw at it. Awesome machine.

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany

lmao those are old and cheap cards, they are low-end. I know you are comparing to a laptop, but still, those are low end cards and not exactly a incredible achievement that a $4k laptop performs the same as a $250 card...

Audentia

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Silicon Valley
Yep agreed - running at native res which I think is 3456x2234 from memory (slightly less pixels than 4K). First Mac laptop I've ever owned that really feels like it can deal with anything I throw at it. Awesome machine.
I have the M2 Max, and totally agree, it does everything I need it to do, including moderate gaming. I don't use my gaming PC anymore. It's not about a mac being on the same value level as a gaming PC (of course its not) its about not needing a gaming PC anymore, because my mac, which is my main work tool for programming, now also fills that other need. Between my mac and PS5 (also unix based, fun fact), I think I can finally live a windows free life, and I'm pretty stoked about that.

Audentia

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Silicon Valley
I think you missed the bit about “desktop” performance in a “laptop”.

For gaming, I wouldn’t buy a Mac either. My new Windows desktop with 4090 runs everything 4K max settings. But it’s not exactly portable, and I can’t use it at all without it being plugged in.

If I was spending thousands of dollars on a mac laptop for work, it would be nice to know that it can power through modern games like a champ as well. Not as much need to also buy something for games, if that’s something you do.
exactly

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
You don’t understand what this is about: the story of the game is years old. The game was re-designed and programmed for the newest M-chips. It’s technically a completely new game specifically for these processors. That’s what console game developers do also sometimes so they can release an improved remake for new console generations. The Resident Evil 4 from 18 years ago would also be possible to play on older Macs, iPhones and iPads…
Are games with older stories easier to run? :p

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I am getting 60+ fps on a base M3 Max 16”, outputting 1:1 directly to a 4k OLED TV with all graphics settings to max, MetalFX quality mode, V-sync on. By decreasing some minor settings and/or change to MetalFX performance mode, the game can go 100fps+ even during intense fights like the village area in the demo, while still maintaining 2160p. This is akin to mobile 4060 or 4070 performance on the Windows laptop side, for reference.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
lmao those are old and cheap cards, they are low-end. I know you are comparing to a laptop, but still, those are low end cards and not exactly a incredible achievement that a $4k laptop performs the same as a $250 card...

You need a desktop RTX 3080 or 6800XT to run RE4 at 4K@60FPS. Please at least look up some benchmarks before making baseless statements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.