Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bertiespeirs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
London, UK
When using any Topaz AI photo apps, if I adjust any sliders I can hear the MacBook Pro emit a faint sound. It's almost like hearing the Neural engine processing. It's quiet, but noticeable.

Does this happen on other Apple Silicone macs? I would really appreciate if someone could check their machine - put your ear up close to the keyboard.

Should I be concerned? I'm on a new top spec M3 Max 14" MBP for reference.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
It's called coil whine. It can vary from machine to machine and more common on graphic intensive apps. You have to really put your ear up to the keyboard and listen carefully its so faint.

Ascn

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2020
It is the GPU, not the neural engine. Notebookchecks test mentions coil whine when doing GPU benchmarks.

Ascn

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2020
I can also hear this subtle sounds unfortunately ...
My M1 Air is nearly dead silent, but the M3 Pro 16inch was audible, but only when you are close to the keyboard.

Andy_Reverse

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2024
Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem. I can hear this sound when I transcribe in the MacWhisper program. And also sometimes in simple tasks, for example, when moving layouts in Figma (Every action = CPU work/load = slight squeak/sound. But in this case the sound is almost invisible, just put your ear to the keyboard area). I also noticed brief sounds in Topaz Photo Al during image processing (but definitely not as loud and long as in MacWhisper).

I have recorded it: https://jmp.sh/s/0Gd0SDScuZjDYujE1KvC

MacBook Pro 16, M3 Max, 16/40 Cores,128GB RAM.

The following questions are of interest. Is this a problem or a peculiarity of operation? Is it possible to fix it? Is Apple aware of this - can they fix it programmatically in future updates?

Ascn

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2020
This is nothing to worry about and all M3 Max have it, also the M3 Pro have it to some degree.
In modern days hardware you have to live with such noises unfortunately ...

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Is this a problem or a peculiarity of operation? Is it possible to fix it? Is Apple aware of this - can they fix it programmatically in future updates?
All questions for Apple. Ask Apple Support, it is under warranty. If it is bothering you and you are not happy with the response, ask for a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.