Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
I can't believe this thread went to four pages over this and the Op hasn't even installed his resource intensive software yet and checked to see what the memory pressure was like. It almost sounds like he is looking for a reason to return the machine because he feels buyers remorse and wants the old intel machine back because it was predictable? I don't think any explanation no matter how technical is going to completely satisfy his question.

tkaravou

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
I don't think MacOS is the culprit. I think this is caused by Apple Silicon. There is no reason for 16GB to be utilized by the system for a mere YouTube video.

I paid for 128GB of RAM in hopes to use my machine for a long time without having to swap. I haven't even setup my Python work environment yet. I dread what that will do.
The user was correct, it will grant way more ram than necessary as long as its available. Once you start to run out of ram, it will remanage itself. You can tell by opening something that’s far more demanding ram wise and you’ll see that YouTube’s ram usage will drop and the new app will increase. The memory pressure won’t be affected.

I went from 16GB to 36GB (M1 -> M3 MAX) and when i was on 16GB, it wasn’t as generous with ram.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I can't believe this thread went to four pages over this and the Op hasn't even installed his resource intensive software yet and checked to see what the memory pressure was like. It almost sounds like he is looking for a reason to return the machine because he feels buyers remorse and wants the old intel machine back because it was predictable? I don't think any explanation no matter how technical is going to completely satisfy his question.

Because that's largely what people do around here: Become overwhelmed by Apple's glitter throwing, buy a machine they don't actually need as a tool to get work done, fill their time instead chasing demons down imaginary rabbit holes.

As others have said: Without evidence of memory pressure showing apps are starved of memory, there is no problem. It is designed to manage itself. The end.

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades
I opened and used my M3 Max MBP for the first time yesterday and I found excessive RAM utilization for just basic tasks.

This is me watching an 8K demo on YouTube: 20.85GB

View attachment 2372965

Moving to Safari and watching 4K HBO Max reduced it but still unacceptable: 16.02GB

View attachment 2372966

And usage was still unacceptable with nothing playing: 7.5GB

View attachment 2372970

The only other item I had open was Pages to test out the keyboard. I had written maybe a paragraph.

Why is RAM being utilized so much, especially at rest? The M3 Max machine is hitting RAM even harder than my M1 MBA which consistently utilizes 12GB with ~10 Chrome windows open.

I know people like to say, the computer indexes for the first few days but I really can't imagine this much background process as I'm not a heavy user of iCloud.

Anyone have the same experience? Does it get better?
I think you are acting hysterical over something that has no effect on you and you should ne care about. Is the the machine sluggish? That would be something to complain about. Also, "for the first time yesterday" is ambiguous. Did you mean the first time using the M3 was yesterday or everything was okay the night before and in the morning's 1st use was when the issue was noticed.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I bought 128GB of RAM to future-proof, not to utilize it NOW! I want to setup a dev machine for the next 5 years and not worry about RAM and storage.

I don't know what you're doing but how do you end up utilizing 10GB of swap with 128GB of RAM?

It could be that I have an external SSD connected everytime I use my Macbook. Granted, yes my Macbook is an 8TB model, I still choose external SSDs.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Any modern OS is going to use as much DRAM as necessary and reallocate on the fly while the operating system, the APIs and the app determine what should be written to disk for later usage when an app is made active. Certain files, caching, logs and temp files make no sense to hold in DRAM as there is no penalty anymore for doing so if done right because SSDs are so fast now. You are going to have swap used even with 1.5 TB of DRAM, it’s just the way it is. Developers write to the lowest common denominator and make decisions on what they can afford to keep in RAM long term, what to write to disk for use later and what to purge from RAM or disk while running.

Reactions: JustAnExpat

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I bought 128GB of RAM to future-proof, not to utilize it NOW! I want to setup a dev machine for the next 5 years and not worry about RAM and storage.

I don't know what you're doing but how do you end up utilizing 10GB of swap with 128GB of RAM?
At the price it costs, be glad macOS is making you benefit from your RAM NOW and not just in 5 years.

Even for simple tasks, macOS will use as much memory as available on your system.

This sentence should be pinned somewhere on MacRumors because there's a new thread every day about that.

Reactions: chabig

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
You are already worrying. ;)
By 5 years, your machine will be old, and you'd not have used all that memory all that time. MacOS would use 8GB corectly, and 128GB also correctly. All modern OSs know how to use memory. In your case, if you don't like the way your Mac uses its memory, best return it, or go to Apple service personally and ask them.

Reactions: chabig

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Which applications are you running to achieve this?
It is not just Apps; Swap doesn't mean the Mac is struggling for RAM. Apple also offloads unused/ not recently memory to swap files proactively. The last thing you want to do when RAM is needed is offload unused memory to swap. It depends on how long the Mac has been running. I see swap files when the Mac hasn't been restarted for weeks. Once you restart, it goes away. Of course, the other aspect of the swap is to compensate for RAM, as needed.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I work a full-time job and take classes in the evenings. I can't reply to every person.

But it is true that I have not set up my environment yet due to time constraint. As I've already explained in another reply, I don't have any other frame of reference than my old Intel Mac. Compared to x86, memory IS being dynamically managed very aggressively? if that's the right word.

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
At the price it costs, be glad macOS is making you benefit from your RAM NOW and not just in 5 years.

Even for simple tasks, macOS will use as much memory as available on your system.

This sentence should be pinned somewhere on MacRumors because there's a new thread every day about that.
Meanwhile there are lots of people on this forum claiming 8GB RAM is plenty for most. 🤣

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
Meanwhile there are lots of people on this forum claiming 8GB RAM is plenty for most. 🤣
Given this argument, no task should ever be completed—given Parkinson's law "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". Yet tasks are completed, and computers do function.

Just like deadlines can be a useful tool to stop iterating at the desired quality level, so can boundaries for memory available prevent buyers from spending infinite money to cache everything. It is simply not necessary.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm not sure why there is any worry. If Memory Pressure is anything else but green, that's when to be concerned.

I'm using an M1 MacBook Air with 16 GB and according to Memory Used, I have 10.70 GB in use. App Memory is ~7.84 GB and Wired Memory is ~1.62 GB and Compressed is ~232.2 MB. The machine is running smoothly, even though it looks like it's going to swap everything with a few more applications running.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I need to know if OP understood how unified memory works on Macs. I need to know how this saga ends.
Maybe "Get as much RAM as possible. Swapping needs to be avoided at all, it will destroy the SSD in shortest time"?

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Certain files, caching, logs and temp files make no sense to hold in DRAM as there is no penalty anymore for doing so if done right because SSDs are so fast now.
The OS keeps all files ever read or written in the buffer cache as long as there is free RAM.

The access latency of an SSD is ~100us which is still 1000x slower than DRAM at ~100ns.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Why would it do that? Proactive work is often wasted work. I have never observed this on any Unix system as long as there is free RAM available.
Linux had it for a long time. On Linux, unless you disable or set the swapiness to 0 or lower value, it will proactively move out. In fact, you can control the Swap behavior in Linux to an extent with swapiness value. Ubuntu and Red Hat all behave similarly; by default, in Ubuntu, the Swapiness is set to 60 (0 being no swap till RAM is not enough, 100 being very aggressive to move out memory to swap). Waste is a strong word, it depends on usage, and also a trade off between performance/latency/ cost of IO among other factors. For DB, you may prefer swapiness between 0-10, but for systems with multiple processes, and jobs, apps a higher value will help.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I know... it's OK if you do Safari, Mail, Music, Notes, Calendar and Contacts.
Once you go out of this ecosystem, clearly people need 16 GB and I'd agree this would be OK for 80% of the people. But Apple's being really cheap here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.