Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Just wondering about resale for MacBook Pro’s. I’ve just bought the 16” M3 Pro with 512Gb, which is enough for me. I plan to keep for a year or so. Money not being a problem, would I be better getting the M3 Max, with the 1TB storage etc, and so getting a better resale price?

Which depreciates more, M3 Pro or M3 Max?

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Anything people tell you in this thread will be speculation informed by past models. It is likely the Max will be worth more than the Pro a year from now. Will the difference between the two be as large as it is today at retail? I doubt it. But, if money is no issue for you, do you really care if one depreciates slightly faster than the other?

Buy the computer that meets your needs.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Less memory bandwidth is not a speculation sadly it is the ugly truth.
Ok yes, quoting technical specs is not speculation. You got me. Congrats. 🙄

The OP asked which M3 chip would depreciate in value faster, not what the differences between the two are. Any answer to that question (including mine) is, at best, an educated guess.

Reactions: kitKAC

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Well, for certain if the chip is inferior to the previous models it will attract less buyers especially after a replacement for it comes around. Educated guess tells us it will drop in price faster than the M3 max.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
usually the more money you spent the more u will lose.

Even apple doesn’t make a difference in trade in value on storage space.

Last edited:

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The best way to see depreciation to to test it.

Itsworthmore, Swappa are two of the best "test" options. You can go the sites and put your device to see what each site will give you.

For ex.
- Base model M3 Pro 14" will net you $1050 at both sites.
- M3 Max [16/40 128GB RAM 2TB SSD] will net you $3,500.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
What I mean is that I don’t need more than the M3 Pro, but can afford the M3 Max. Just wondering which is the better option when it comes to selling?

halledise

macrumors 68000
What I mean is that I don’t need more than the M3 Pro, but can afford the M3 Max. Just wondering which is the better option when it comes to selling?
i'd guess $500-$1000 difference.
a quick scan of apple refurb store for M1/M2 Pro v Max resale should give an idea of how :apple: views resale value.
(A$1100 here on :apple: australia refurb store - same 1TB but 16GB vs 32GB memory)
eBay's also possibly a reasonably good guide?
bottom line is buy whatever is the sweet spot for your usage and when reselling time comes - que sera, sera

Reactions: AVBeatMan

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
What I mean is that I don’t need more than the M3 Pro, but can afford the M3 Max. Just wondering which is the better option when it comes to selling
You won’t get the difference between low and high specked machine back.

U will lose more than that. As with ipads, iphones and cars.

Check the mentioned websites for older machines and you will see.

The reason is imho that people who have a lot of money who can afford a new machine don’t buy used. And the people who want to save money are not willing to pay as much for a used machine without warranty.

chongsen

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2013
For my experience, base model is easier to move than high spec.

It is much easier to sell a Macbook Pro 16 base model for $1100 than Macbook Pro 16 MAX for $1850. (I just sold those 2 recently to move the family to M3 devices)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.