Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2014
You made a great choice. Something that I am sure will last you a long time!

I hope you enjoy it. Please write a small review of what you like and if there is anything you don't. It is always nice to get honest opinions from actual owners. I am very interested in how the M3 Max performs and if it does draw more battery and if it does, has Apple compensated in some ways? The chips should be more efficient? Thank you in advance and either way enjoy your new Mac!!
Thank you for that!

Just some highlights -
1. The 16in size is a dream. I always was in the 14in camp dating back to the HP DV2500, but honestly I see no reason not to opt for the 16in. Heck, even in its sleeve compared to my old 13in in its Incase sleeve, it really isn't all that different. The extra screen real estate is a dream. I always would hide toolbars and the like with my 13in MacBook Pro, even after I bumped up the resolution. lol. Ya, don't gotta do that anymore. The first couple days it's a little odd just getting used to the placement of the keyboard, especially after using my 13in MBP for about 8 years, but I'm flying now.
2. My battery life concerns have been moot. I realized I don't need 40 hours of battery life. lol. Honestly I can't even tell you what the battery life is, though it does seem having the screen on high brightness eats away at it, but then you can just plug it in lol.
3. Heat was another concern - damn thing is cold for what I do.
4. The Max chip and 36GB was also a debate for me - I am using about 2% of their capability, but man psychologically I like having all that power lol. And it's a long-term investment and having all those extra cores/performances cores makes me feel better about its longevity.
5. Speakers - I had them at like 70% once and a video played and I was like WHAT. Shockingly impressive. I just use my AirPods or AirPods Max, but if you want to blast them, then you are in for a treat.
6. Software - I would always blame the coding when things would stutter on my MBP and I was probably wrong to do that lol. But it sure as heck isn't the M3 Max's fault. There's a lot of bugs in Sonoma. Disappointing but it is what it is.
7. I got the Tomtoc sleeve off Amazon - compare this one to about 40 other sleeves, and I am glad I went with this. I just took the handles? off the zippers to make it more sleek and I love it. Provides protection and very very well made. Highly recommend it. Perfect size too.
8. Battery health - I am a bit sad I'm not at 101% or anything according to Coconut Battery / Aldente but whatever. I'm more at 99% if I had to guess, even though apple says it's at 100%, but from my experience it will switch to 99% officially sooner than later. I waited about 2 weeks for this STUPID battery optimization to kick in and it didn't. Been waiting about 3 years for it to kick in on my iPhone lol. Yes I tried everything.... and I mean everything. Anyway. Bought Aldente and been using it and I love it. Replaced the battery icon in the topbar and now I can save my battery capacity. Very very well coded and designed. Seriously impressive software. Definitely recommend it if your are nuts about your battery life. being able to have the MagSafe light be green when it reaches the % I want it at is just... an OCDs dream lol.

I think that's about it. If anyone has any questions go for it. All told I would recommend the 16in size for sure. Like, don't get the 14in. Get the 16in, live with it for 12 days, and then decide. The CPU/Memory combo I can't really say because honestly I would be flying on a base M1. But I like it! POWAAAA. I do recommend the Tomtoc sleeve and Aldente 100%. Thank you to everyone for all of your help! This is a wonderful community!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.