Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Hello. I am getting ready to buy a new 14" MacBook Pro.

It will be used 70% for day-to-day work (e.g. spreadsheets, email, surfing, etc) and 30% for video-editing in DaVinci Resolve.

I assumed that getting an M3 Max would be the best, but recently had someone say that unless I am doing really heady-duty work, that the M3 Pro would be more efficient.

I also hear people online complaining about noise issues with the M3 Max.

I am new to video-editing, but hope to get into more advanced video-editing work as soon as possible. I also want to learn motion graphic (e.g. DaVinci Resolve Fusion), and again, hopefully get into more professional-level areas ASAP.

Would an M3 Pro or M3 Max better suit my needs?

jb310

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2017
I'd say try the M3 Pro first, and if you find that it's not enough, then you have 14 days to return it with no questions asked. :apple:

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
I'd say try the M3 Pro first, and if you find that it's not enough, then you have 14 days to return it with no questions asked. :apple:

Thanks, but I see computer like underwear - not something one tries on and experiments with.

Anyone here do advanced video-editing who can speak to the M3 Pro and M3 Max?

One thing I have heard is that the M3 Max has more fan noise.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What are you using RIGHT NOW?
A laptop?

Here's a thought.
If you're using a Mac laptop right now, KEEP IT.

And then... get yourself something like a Mac Studio for the video editing, perhaps along with a 27" 4k display.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Hello. I am getting ready to buy a new 14" MacBook Pro.

It will be used 70% for day-to-day work (e.g. spreadsheets, email, surfing, etc) and 30% for video-editing in DaVinci Resolve.

Would an M3 Pro or M3 Max better suit my needs?

The Max chip has twice the video encoders and test thusly on benchmarks. So I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend to save a few seconds.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
OP:

What are you using RIGHT NOW?
A laptop?

Here's a thought.
If you're using a Mac laptop right now, KEEP IT.

And then... get yourself something like a Mac Studio for the video editing, perhaps along with a 27" 4k display.

@Fishrrman,

I work remotely and travel a lot, so a desktop sadly isn't an option.

My currently laptop came out before 4K support, so it is not even close enough to do what I need for video-editing.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
The Max chip has twice the video encoders and test thusly on benchmarks. So I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend to save a few seconds.

@picpicmac,

Do you do 4K video-editing?

I hear that the M3 Max can be noisy and produce a fair amount of heat.

You make it sound like there isn't much difference between an M3 Pro and an M3 Max since you say, "how much you want to spend to save a few seconds".

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
M3Max if you can afford the price difference. But would strongly suggest you get a 16”, better cooling (which will be handy if you spend 70% of your time doing video editing) and The larger screen Is much more handy for video editing if you’re working remotely.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
M3Max if you can afford the price difference. But would strongly suggest you get a 16”, better cooling (which will be handy if you spend 70% of your time doing video editing) and The larger screen Is much more handy for video editing if you’re working remotely.

Do you have an M3 Max?

How noisy is a Max?

Would it be quieter in the 16" size?

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The Max will perform better in DaVinci Resolve and it's about the best config you can get for this work in a compact laptop. The fans will spin noisily regardless of size though you get a bit more performance with the 16". But for any less intense daily work the fans will remain off most if not all of the time. These chips are power efficient but plenty powerful so even though they remain cool in daily tasks they can produce a lot of heat when the performance is needed. Unless you want a less powerful laptop there is no way to avoid the fan noise. You can try limiting performance and thus heat and noise a bit with the low power mode in MacOS.

Unless you make your money with video editing the M3 Max will offer plenty of performance in the 14", I would not get the 16" as it's significantly less portable and there is no significant performance difference unless we are talking about longer render times where the chip will be at 100% load for a while. And you'll likely not want to use the Mac anyway when it's sitting maxed out for half an hour rendering away.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
@okkibs,

The Max will perform better in DaVinci Resolve and it's about the best config you can get for this work in a compact laptop. The fans will spin noisily regardless of size though you get a bit more performance with the 16". But for any less intense daily work the fans will remain off most if not all of the time.

If I have an M3 Max and am sitting here at the library reading the news, updating spreadsheets, and posting on MacRumors, will I hear my laptop?

From a sound standpoint, what would be the difference with an M3 Pro?

These chips are power efficient but plenty powerful so even though they remain cool in daily tasks they can produce a lot of heat when the performance is needed. Unless you want a less powerful laptop there is no way to avoid the fan noise. You can try limiting performance and thus heat and noise a bit with the low power mode in MacOS.

So that implies I would hear the fans constantly if I am doing NON-video-editing?

This new laptop will be used 70% for daily use and 30% for video-editing.

Unless you make your money with video editing the M3 Max will offer plenty of performance in the 14", I would not get the 16" as it's significantly less portable and there is no significant performance difference unless we are talking about longer render times where the chip will be at 100% load for a while. And you'll likely not want to use the Mac anyway when it's sitting maxed out for half an hour rendering away.

Well, I am trying to start a business, but I am far from a professional video-editor.

I want something powerful enough to get me started in basic video-editing in DaVinci Resolve, but also something that should still be usable in 3 years.

From some preliminary research online, I am concerned that owning an M3 Max would be super noisy.

Some also say that I would likely not utilize the power an M3 Max has, so I'd be better starting off with an M3 Pro.

Being new to video-editing, I'm not sure what I really need, but I do have a lot of compressed video from my GoPro and iPhone, and I would like to start learning motion graphics (e.g. Fusion) to make my videos look more professional.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
@okkibs,

If I have an M3 Max and am sitting here at the library reading the news, updating spreadsheets, and posting on MacRumors, will I hear my laptop?

From a sound standpoint, what would be the difference with an M3 Pro?

So that implies I would hear the fans constantly if I am doing NON-video-editing?

This new laptop will be used 70% for daily use and 30% for video-editing.

Well, I am trying to start a business, but I am far from a professional video-editor.

I want something powerful enough to get me started in basic video-editing in DaVinci Resolve, but also something that should still be usable in 3 years.

From some preliminary research online, I am concerned that owning an M3 Max would be super noisy.

Some also say that I would likely not utilize the power an M3 Max has, so I'd be better starting off with an M3 Pro.

Being new to video-editing, I'm not sure what I really need, but I do have a lot of compressed video from my GoPro and iPhone, and I would like to start learning motion graphics (e.g. Fusion) to make my videos look more professional.
Me and my buddy frequently edit and export 4K video on his M3 Max in DaVinci Resolve and we have yet to hear the fans. It also rarely ever gets hotter than warm. I had to double check that the fans were actually working by installing an app to manually turn up the fans so I could hear them.

Reactions: Ambrosia7177

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA
The fans on the 14" M3 Max are not something you hear unless you're pushing it to its limits all the time, like in a render. For 99% of work, you won't notice anything.

In either scenario, I'd recommend the 36GB RAM option -- and it's a $400 difference between the Pro with 36GB and the "base" level M3 Max (so $2799 vs $3199). Since you don't really know what you want and don't have any video editing experience on which to judge your needs, I personally don't think you need to go for the Max -- but if $400 is insignificant to you, you're not going to be hurting yourself. But don't fall into the trap of over-buying because you think you need more than you do, unless you can budget for that. (I say this as someone who frequently overbuys on the power I need -- but I'm at least aware that I'm doing that and know the potential trade-offs.)

Yes, the 14" M3 Max can make noise -- no, it's certainly not an always-on thing and it isn't what I would consider a problem. I have the 16/40 Max with 128GB of RAM -- so this is the noisiest and most thermally limited option (also the most powerful) -- and unless I'm doing massive local AI stuff or working with RED footage with lots of effects, I really don't hear the fans at all. I will say, if my main use case for the machine was to edit video day in and day out, in large volumes and in high resolution, I would have chosen the 16" M3 Max, just because the laws of thermodynamics cannot be overcome. But that isn't what I do most of the day, so a 14" machine is what I chose. The noise it makes when it needs to push itself is a fine trade-off, for me.

But the vast majority of the time, I don't hear anything. That isn't to say that there isn't still noise emitting from the Mac (it is actively cooled, of course it is), but I don't exist in a soundproof space and the noise is not something that impacts me 98% of the time. And when it does, because I'm doing something very CPU/GPU intensive, I'm fine with it. This isn't like the older Intel MacBook Pros that would make noise anytime you opened a program. These are not only appropriately cooled (though again, laws of physics remain and so the smaller chassis machines are going to throttle a tiny bit and be louder than the 16" models), the chips were optimized for power efficiency.

I can't compare the M3 Pro to the M3 Max because I've only got the M3 Max, but I will say that my experience using a 14" M1 Max (64GB of RAM and 32-core GPU) and a 16" M1 Pro (32GB of RAM, 16-core GPU) for video editing is that the real differences come in with motion work on export times when working with footage that is going to be much larger than what you're shooting with your iPhone or GoPro. The Max is better and if you're in a position where time is money and every second counts, sure, go for the Max. But all of these chips are really, really similar until you get up to edge cases or unless you have other requirements (like RAM) that necessitate going with one config versus another.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
@Squirrrrel

Me and my buddy frequently edit and export 4K video on his M3 Max in DaVinci Resolve and we have yet to hear the fans. It also rarely ever gets hotter than warm. I had to double check that the fans were actually working by installing an app to manually turn up the fans so I could hear them.

Can you tell me more about the files you work with, and the kinds of editing you do?

For example, do you work with compressed files like H.264 or H.265?

Are these short videos (e.g. Instagram) or long videos (e.g. 15-30 minutes)?

Are you just doing basic editing (e.g. trimming, adjust levels) or are you doing more advanced editing?

Finally, are you happy with the M3 Max overall and the premium you spent, or is it overkill?

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
@Squirrrrel

Can you tell me more about the files you work with, and the kinds of editing you do?

For example, do you work with compressed files like H.264 or H.265?

Are these short videos (e.g. Instagram) or long videos (e.g. 15-30 minutes)?

Are you just doing basic editing (e.g. trimming, adjust levels) or are you doing more advanced editing?

Finally, are you happy with the M3 Max overall and the premium you spent, or is it overkill?
We work with all kinds of different codecs/file types. They range anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour long. They can be simple or they can be very advanced with many audio, video, and graphical tracks. A lot of color correction is often done. I don't think it's overkill at all. It's like having the power of a full blown desktop, but you can take it anywhere. Adobe Lightroom libraries with thousands and thousands of photos also load instantly. It's honestly ridiculous what this thing can do. For heavy video editing, I think it's perfect. If you can wait for the M4 MacBooks, I would probably do that though, unless you need something right now. But it should last you for years. We're at a point now where these chips can handle whatever you throw at them.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
@filmgirl,

The fans on the 14" M3 Max are not something you hear unless you're pushing it to its limits all the time, like in a render. For 99% of work, you won't notice anything.

Not so concerned about noise during rendering, just don't want to listen to any fans while I'm using the laptop for day-to-day stuff, and I suppose also don't want to hear things during light-to-medium editing.

Does what you say hold up as the temperature goes up? (e.g. working in my car, or a hot summer day)

In either scenario, I'd recommend the 36GB RAM option -- and it's a $400 difference between the Pro with 36GB and the "base" level M3 Max (so $2799 vs $3199).

My ancient rMBP has 16GB of RAM. Is 36GB enough? (I have heard that a GB of "unified memory" is not the same as a GB or "old-fashioned memory.)

If Apple offered more choices - like it always did until now, I would prefer at least 64GB...

Since you don't really know what you want and don't have any video editing experience on which to judge your needs, I personally don't think you need to go for the Max -- but if $400 is insignificant to you, you're not going to be hurting yourself.

I'm not rich, but I'd gladly spent $5,000+ if there was a benefit to me in it.

What I don't want is to spend any amount and get what sounds like a cheap wall-unit air conditioner in August!

And I don't want to buy something which goes unused and doesn't make me better off.

Whichever way I go, I know I will be giving Apple a premium as I plan on getting a 4TB SSD (i.e. $1,000+), and also get as much RAM as possible.

But don't fall into the trap of over-buying because you think you need more than you do, unless you can budget for that. (I say this as someone who frequently overbuys on the power I need -- but I'm at least aware that I'm doing that and know the potential trade-offs.)

I usually over-buy also, and have never regretted it, however, this time is different.

To me, you can never had too big of a hard-drive or too much RAM.

I think what has spooked me about the M3 Max is the some people saying online that it is noticeably noisy. And others say it runs really warm-to-hot.

When this ancient rMBP acts up, and the fans kick it, it can be really annoying. And while it might be okay in January, I don't want my laptop feeling like a space heater.

Yes, the 14" M3 Max can make noise -- no, it's certainly not an always-on thing and it isn't what I would consider a problem. I have the 16/40 Max with 128GB of RAM -- so this is the noisiest and most thermally limited option (also the most powerful) -- and unless I'm doing massive local AI stuff or working with RED footage with lots of effects, I really don't hear the fans at all.

Okay, now you have my respect! *LOL* :)

Yeah, no RED footage quit yet for me!

I was looking at the model you have, and a friend spoke up and mentioned two things...

1.) Is this too much computer for your needs?

2.) Apparently the M3 Max has some "Media offline" issues in Da Vinci Resolve, and it is impacting a lot of M3 Max owners. (Not sure if this is an Apple issue, or a Blackmagic Design issue, or a Sonoma issue, or an H.265 issue?)

BTW, would I have that same issue even if I go with an M3 Pro?

I will say, if my main use case for the machine was to edit video day in and day out, in large volumes and in high resolution, I would have chosen the 16" M3 Max, just because the laws of thermodynamics cannot be overcome. But that isn't what I do most of the day, so a 14" machine is what I chose. The noise it makes when it needs to push itself is a fine trade-off, for me.

I am starting a business, and hope to be publishing content several times a week. It is a combination or talking-head videos and interviews. So the content will typically be longer (e.g. 10-30 minutes) on average.

It is 4K video, but honestly I think most of what I will be doing is trimming, adjusting levels, and adding in text and basic graphics. I am still on-the-fence with shooting RAW or Log and getting into color-grading - Is it worth the time and effort for my needs?

As time permits, I want to get into motion graphics (e.g. Fusion) and certainly up my game to get the most professional looking videos possible. But truth be told, if I am to be successful, it will be because I have PHENOMENAL CONTENT, and because I really nail things like sound, lighting, and exposure.

Oh, I do have tons of compressed iPhone and GoPro footage that needs editing, so there is that too.

If I can get by with a 14" MacBook Pro with 12-core CPU, 18-core GPU, 36GB of RAM, and a 4TB SSD to handle what I described above, then that would be great. But if I need the top-of-the-line model like you have, then so be it.

But the vast majority of the time, I don't hear anything. That isn't to say that there isn't still noise emitting from the Mac (it is actively cooled, of course it is), but I don't exist in a soundproof space and the noise is not something that impacts me 98% of the time. And when it does, because I'm doing something very CPU/GPU intensive, I'm fine with it.

As I would be okay with that too.

This isn't like the older Intel MacBook Pros that would make noise anytime you opened a program.

Or (*cough*) like 40 Firefox tabs of the news?! ;-)

These are not only appropriately cooled (though again, laws of physics remain and so the smaller chassis machines are going to throttle a tiny bit and be louder than the 16" models), the chips were optimized for power efficiency.

Okay.

I can't compare the M3 Pro to the M3 Max because I've only got the M3 Max, but I will say that my experience using a 14" M1 Max (64GB of RAM and 32-core GPU) and a 16" M1 Pro (32GB of RAM, 16-core GPU) for video editing is that the real differences come in with motion work on export times when working with footage that is going to be much larger than what you're shooting with your iPhone or GoPro.

I am also saving up for a Sony a7S iii for my talking head videos.

Does that change your recommendation?

And, I am also also saving up for a new iPhone 15 Pro Max.

If I get either of those, and start shooting in Pro Res 4.2.2 - mainly to make editing easier and quicker - does that change your advice?

The Max is better and if you're in a position where time is money and every second counts, sure, go for the Max. But all of these chips are really, really similar until you get up to edge cases or unless you have other requirements (like RAM) that necessitate going with one config versus another.

The 14" MacBook Pro, M3 Pro that I described above costs $3,800.

What are your thoughts an a 14" MacBook Pro, M3 Max with 14-core CPU, 30-core GPU, 96GB RAM, and a 4TB SSD?

That one comes in at $5,000 and would be somewhere between the M3 Pro and the monster you own!

Is there any benefit to that configuration? Or would I have to get the maxed-out Max - like you have - to really see large gains?

And, I know you covered it already, but how would the two configurations above - to your best guess - compare when it comes to noise and heat?

Thanks for the help so far!

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
@filmgirlWhat are your thoughts an a 14" MacBook Pro, M3 Max with 14-core CPU, 30-core GPU, 96GB RAM, and a 4TB SSD?

That one comes in at $5,000 and would be somewhere between the M3 Pro and the monster you own!

Is there any benefit to that configuration? Or would I have to get the maxed-out Max - like you have - to really see large gains?

And, I know you covered it already, but how would the two configurations above - to your best guess - compare when it comes to noise and heat?

My buddy's has 64 GB of RAM and a 4 TB SSD. We've yet to encounter an issue where 64 GB wasn't enough RAM. None of those configurations have any relevance to heat. The only way to have better heat dissipation would be to get the 16" instead of the 14", as the 14" does run hotter. He has the 16" and honestly it's still surprisingly light and thin (4.8 pounds and .66 inches thin).

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
We work with all kinds of different codecs/file types. They range anywhere from 30 seconds to an hour long. They can be simple or they can be very advanced with many audio, video, and graphical tracks. A lot of color correction is often done.

Sounds like what I will be doing - other than you know how to do it, and I will be learning!

I don't think it's overkill at all. It's like having the power of a full blown desktop, but you can take it anywhere. Adobe Lightroom libraries with thousands and thousands of photos also load instantly. It's honestly ridiculous what this thing can do. For heavy video editing, I think it's perfect. If you can wait for the M4 MacBooks, I would probably do that though, unless you need something right now. But it should last you for years. We're at a point now where these chips can handle whatever you throw at them.

I am glad you brought that up!!

Yes, I do need a new laptop in the next month, because the one I am typing on is literally failing and I expect to die in the next month or so.

I guess no one knows, but is the M4 supposed to be earth-shattering?

If so, that would be a reason to get a sufficient M3 Pro, and then if it turns out that I become a super-star overnight, and that I become super good with advanced editing, then the M4 would come to my rescue.

(I also heard someone online talking about an M3 Ultimate?)

With all of the changes going on in IT and with video, ironically I am leaning more towards, "Be practical in what you buy, and make sure you can justify what you buy based on your current skill set."

But who knows?

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
I guess no one knows, but is the M4 supposed to be earth-shattering?
I haven't really heard much about it except for the AI stuff, honestly. And nobody really knows what that's going to entail. A lot of video editing software, like DaVinci, uses a lot of processing power for their AI features. Maybe the M4 will be even more powerful for those specific tasks. I don't know.

If so, that would be a reason to get a sufficient M3 Pro, and then if it turns out that I become a super-star overnight, and that I become super good with advanced editing, then the M4 would come to my rescue.
Even the M2 would be sufficient for most video editing, honestly. Just get the right tool for the job.

(I also heard someone online talking about an M3 Ultimate?)
Right now the Mac Studio and Mac Pro have the M2 Ultra, which is basically two M2 Max chips, which is bananas. I haven't heard anything about an Ultimate.

With all of the changes going on in IT and with video, ironically I am leaning more towards, "Be practical in what you buy, and make sure you can justify what you buy based on your current skill set."

But who knows?
That mindset should be applied to most purchases.

funwithstuff

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I have a 16" M3 Max which I use mostly with Final Cut Pro, and I rarely hear the fan while video editing. In FCP at least, exports on Max and Ultra chips are now even faster (about 15-20%) but in general, you probably won't notice a huge difference between Pro and Max unless you're doing heavy-duty GPU-focused tasks. Most of the difference between the chips is in GPU core count, and encode/decode unit count. That said, I also create renders in Blender, where it's 3x faster than my old M1 Max, so no regrets at all.

Size? When I first got an M1 Max, I tried the 14" first, but returned it for a 16", because neither are one-hand machines, and I appreciate the larger screen every single day.

For best performance, you need to edit in a codec that is accelerated on your Mac. Most H.264, HEVC and all ProRes are accelerated by the hardware on current Macs, but you can still find combinations which perform slowly, and for those cases, ProRes will be faster at the cost of hard drive space (and transcoding, if you don't shoot to it directly).

If you consider FCP, I wrote a book you might like... :)

filmgirl

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Seattle, WA
My ancient rMBP has 16GB of RAM. Is 36GB enough? (I have heard that a GB of "unified memory" is not the same as a GB or "old-fashioned memory.)

If Apple offered more choices - like it always did until now, I would prefer at least 64GB...

If you want 64GB of RAM, the Max is obviously your only choice. Frustratingly, they make you get the highest-tier configuration to get that RAM now, but if you're wanting room to grow and you have the budget, I think your desire for more RAM will push you to Max.

I am starting a business, and hope to be publishing content several times a week. It is a combination or talking-head videos and interviews. So the content will typically be longer (e.g. 10-30 minutes) on average.

It is 4K video, but honestly I think most of what I will be doing is trimming, adjusting levels, and adding in text and basic graphics. I am still on-the-fence with shooting RAW or Log and getting into color-grading - Is it worth the time and effort for my needs?

Honestly, for this usage, I think the Pro is fine. The only reason you'd move to Max, would again be for the extra RAM. I'm not one of the people that buys into the "unified memory is different" thing, because it really isn't. That said, macOS will use whatever RAM it can use so it is difficult for people to always know what they need. Regardless, either Max option is MORE than sufficient for this sort of thing.

The 14" MacBook Pro, M3 Pro that I described above costs $3,800.

What are your thoughts an a 14" MacBook Pro, M3 Max with 14-core CPU, 30-core GPU, 96GB RAM, and a 4TB SSD?

I think this is an absolute killer machine that will serve you amazingly well. Your other option would be the higher-specced M3 Max with 64GB of RAM and a 4TB SSD which comes in like $100 cheaper. Given the choice, I'd probably go more RAM over the extra core count because I don't think you'll ever notice the difference on the 14".

I do honestly think you'd be fine with the $3800 machine. The extra benefit there is that battery life is better. The one thing I can say about both of my 14" Max series machines is that battery life is good -- don't get me wrong -- but it isn't the 15-hour **** people talk about with M-series chips. If battery life is an important factor for you, the M3 Pro will be better here.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
If you are gonna be doing business with this machine you gotta stop thinking as a consumer. This purchase will be an asset and what you need to worry mostly is how much revenue It will add, depreciation and tax deduction. Talk to an accountant about that. Also bear in mind the M3 pro has less memory bandwidth than the M2 Pro. The Max version does not have this bandwidth cut.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
@startergo ,

If you are gonna be doing business with this machine you gotta stop thinking as a consumer. This purchase will be an asset and what you need to worry mostly is how much revenue It will add, depreciation and tax deduction. Talk to an accountant about that. Also bear in mind the M3 pro has less memory bandwidth than the M2 Pro. The Max version does not have this bandwidth cut.

I agree with you, and to be clear, I'm not thinking like a consumer.

I just don't want a noisy laptop, and don't want to buy something that I will never be able to use.

(A few sources make it sound like unless you are doing 3-D or wicked video-editing, your M3 Max will never get used - which would be bad business if true!)

I really appreciate what @filmgirl - and others - have had to say.

Think I need to chew on things for a while...

Since it sounds like noise won't be an issue, I am leaning towards the M3 Max because I can get more RAM. (As mentioned before, I have *never* bought a computer with too much HDD or RAM and later regretted it. Regardless of what people tell you, you will ALWAYS eventually need more storage and memory - ALWAYS!!)

Lots going on in my life, and trying to shore up how much $$$ will be coming in the next few months.

Sounds like going with either...

1.) a 14" M3 Pro with 16-core CPU, 40-core GPU, 36GB RAM and a 4TB drive

2.) a 14" M3 Max with at least 96GB RAM

...should meet my needs for now as a budding new video-editor.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
@filmgirl and others...

One last issue that I need help resolving is this...

I have seen online that a lot of people are having trouble with the M3 Max - and maybe M3 Pro in DaVinci Resolve with source files getting dropped and "Media Offline" errors that apparently can't be fixed without losing work.

Some say this is an M3 issue...

Some say it is a DaVinci Resolve issue...

Some say it is a Sonoma issue...

NOTHING would piss me off more than running into such issues after such a large purchase!! (Noise and heat would seem minor to that.)

Can anyone speak from experience on this one??

As I am trying to quickly learn about video and video-editing, it seems that H.264 and especially H.265 can be a double-edged sword.

If I get a new Sony a7Siii or a new iPhone 15 Pro Max, I guess I can shoot in ProRes, 10-bit, 422 and maybe that will side-step this issue. But I already have over 20TB of H.264 and maybe some H.265, so I need a set up that will work with that out-of-the-box. (And having to transcode - and lose data - doesn't seem ideal.)

Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks!!

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I'm not one of the people that buys into the "unified memory is different" thing, because it really isn't.
The benefits of unified memory are specific to the use case. Many AI apps can see an enormous performance benefit. Traditional video editing apps not so much. As AI is integrated into more video editing apps the benefits of the unified memory architecture will become more apparent.

files getting dropped and "Media Offline" errors
You do not provide specific references so it is hard to respond. I am aware of problems with externally connected media. The external media problems are not specific to M3 as far as I am aware though there does appear to be a correlation to AS vs Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.