Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Has anyone seen benchmarks, either in an article or video, showing the difference between 8/16/24GB RAM on the new M3 Air?

I tried searching on YouTube but omg the clickbait is insane. I finally managed to find some benchmarks someone did of the M2 but I don't know if the M3 is more memory hungry and I think maybe this test was run on the last version of MacOS.

I have a 16GB M3 and I am quite happy with it but I want to get an idea of the difference 24GB RAM brings over 16GB. If it's the same as the M2 Air then it's not worth it and I will stick with my 16GB but I want to see how it is on the M3 and latest MacOS version.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Surprisingly, I've never seen RAM benchmarks on Apple Silicon. Only SSD. The only info I know is that Apple uses 6500 MT/s RAM speeds, but that's for the Pro models. Not sure what speed Apple is using for the base models.

Reactions: krspkbl

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Surprisingly, I've never seen RAM benchmarks on Apple Silicon. Only SSD. The only info I know is that Apple uses 6500 MT/s RAM speeds, but that's for the Pro models. Not sure what speed Apple is using for the base models.
Like I said I found a video with RAM benchmarks for the M2 so was just curious if someone had done one for the M3 yet. It wasn't a video specifically on RAM but just a section of the video as an overall review video.

Maybe it'll take a few days for someone to get around to it. I'll keep looking out for one. I just wanted to ask on here in case anyone had seen one so I don't need to put up with all the clickbait videos or scrub through videos to see if they include RAM benches.

Thanks!! :D

Reactions: hovscorpion12

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 16.03.56.png
Here are the Apple Silicon Macs that we have and got AmorphousMemoryMark tests done with them. I don't have an M3 yet and also no M2 Pro/Max / M3 Pro,but judging from the trend you can guess the rest.

The amount of RAM on the same SoC is not supposed to have an impact with speed, unless in the case of M3 Max, the binned vs full SoC have 3 vs 4 sets of memory channels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.