Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
This is the first time we’re seeing different core counts in the same iPad model. It will be interesting to see whether 3 vs 4 performance cores makes any difference in battery life?

As there are now 6 efficiency cores, it’s possible that with light to moderate use that neither variant is loading all its performance cores anyway, so I suspect there may only be a noticeable difference on heavier workloads.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
This is the first time we’re seeing different core counts in the same iPad model. It will be interesting to see whether 3 vs 4 performance cores makes any difference in battery life?

As there are now 6 efficiency cores, it’s possible that with light to moderate use that neither variant is loading all its performance cores anyway, so I suspect there may only be a noticeable difference on heavier workloads.

Well, more performance cores are more power hungry, however, they also get an intensive job done faster, so they may end up even more power efficient in certain scenarios.

But in practice? No, both will probably be the same. Generally speaking, I think 99% of people won't be able to tell the difference between 9 and 10-core models, whether it's how fast they are or how long their battery lasts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.