Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solardudesf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
I thought the new M4 iPad Pro was supposed to be USB4/Thunderbolt. When I connect it to my computer (after selecting "Trust"), System Information shows that the iPad is connected using the USB 3.1 bus. I have it connected to my Mac Studio M1 Ultra Thunderbolt 4 port. What gives?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I thought the new M4 iPad Pro was supposed to be USB4/Thunderbolt. When I connect it to my computer (after selecting "Trust"), System Information shows that the iPad is connected using the USB 3.1 bus. I have it connected to my Mac Studio M1 Ultra Thunderbolt 4 port. What gives?
iPads have never connected to Macs for syncing over Thunderbolt- it’s always a USB connection. Thunderbolt connectivity is for devices like docks and network adapters.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
This intercepts a question I had about cables. So even though the spec's say it is a Thunderbolt/USB 4 port on the M4 Pro it connects even to a Mac Studio Thunderbolt port as a regular USB connection. I can connect it to a Thunderbolt hub would that make any difference. I have certified cables in both Thunderbolt and USB-4.

Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 10.31.29.png

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
This intercepts a question I had about cables. So even though the spec's say it is a Thunderbolt/USB 4 port on the M4 Pro it connects even to a Mac Studio Thunderbolt port as a regular USB connection. I can connect it to a Thunderbolt hub would that make any difference. I have certified cables in both Thunderbolt and USB-4.

View attachment 2378977
Syncing with a computer will always happen as a USB connection regardless of the cable you use. Adding a dock in between won't change that.

Reactions: transmaster

solardudesf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
iPads have never connected to Macs for syncing over Thunderbolt- it’s always a USB connection. Thunderbolt connectivity is for devices like docks and network adapters.

It still does not make sense to me that the connection is a USB 3.1 connection. The specs indicate Thunderbolt/USB4 for the new iPad Pros. Even if the support is for a USB connection to the computer it should be USB4 then shouldn't it?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It still does not make sense to me that the connection is a USB 3.1 connection. The specs indicate Thunderbolt/USB4 for the new iPad Pros. Even if the support is for a USB connection to the computer it should be USB4 then shouldn't it?
It's not how any of the M1/M2/M4 iPads with Thunderbolt/USB4 have worked, so presumably this is intentional on Apple's part.

solardudesf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
It's not how any of the M1/M2/M4 iPads with Thunderbolt/USB4 have worked, so presumably this is intentional on Apple's part.

Thanks...was hoping for much faster transfer speeds. I guess USB 3.1 will have to do.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Tested Thunderbolt 4 transfer Speeds using the $140 Thunderbolt 4 genuine cables. And it’s 800MB/sec well below the Thunderbolt Spec.

Besides as a person who grew up buying 100 CD’s at a time and burning “back up” CD’s to save my Data.

I’ll gladly just Restore my iPad Pro from a previous back up.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Even when you connect two TB4 equipped Macs, you still have to tell at least one of them to do something before they are really connected with anything Thunderbolt. I am talking about target disk mode which turns the Mac into a dumb drive, or Thunderbolt bridge networking.

To my knowledge the iPadOS can do neither of these, so connecting it to a Macs will fallback to a USB3.1 (10Gbps) instead. I myself have been backing up my M1 12.9" to Macs since the beginning, always used a TB4 cable, the speed is more than fine, especially when compared to Lightning (USB2.0 480Mbps...). I imagine for most usage the 10Gbps is fine.

Then I think a TB4 speed out of the iPadPro starts to be meaningfully useful when transferring video file frequently, which should happen quite often for people who uses FCPX on iPad, or shoot with the iPad camera and wants to transfer the files back on a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.