Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
In the press release for the M4 iPad Pro Apple stated "The new Smart Folio for iPad Pro attaches magnetically and now supports multiple viewing angles for greater flexibility."
While I don't get the iPad of course until Wednesday, the new Smart Folio was available for pickup today and it indeed has a different design on the angles. There are now three magnetic preset angles. When pushed all the way to the bottom the angle is much steeper than the M1/M2 iPad Smart Folio. You can adjust the flap up to get two shallower angles - which you could kinda do with the old version but now there appears to be more magnets that make the different settings actual magnetized instead of just the weight of the iPad keeping the flap higher. The most shallow setting with the magnetic snap seems to be about 50 degrees. Below are photos of the case with the flap in the steepest position and the most shallow position. The middle setting seems like the exact angle of the current M1/M2 Smart Folio.
BTW - the Smart Folio came with a white cardboard insert that you can see in the photos below - I measured it at 5mm so it is basically the thickness of the 13" iPad Pro - and it feels wicked thin in your hand.
The Smart Folio case itself weighs 286g.

steep.jpg
shallow.jpg

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I have the black one for when I don't want the keyboard. The cardboard insert that came with it shows how thin the new iPad is.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Nice. That's why it looks uneven lol
FYI - The Smart Folio for iPad Air 11-inch is also compatible with iPad Air 4th and 5th generation.

MWK53.jpeg

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Is Apple Smart Folio the best folio type case for new Pros or are there some third party options worth considering?

I’m quickly realising that also I need sleeker / lighter case to alongside Magic Keyboard.

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
Is Apple Smart Folio the best folio type case for new Pros or are there some third party options worth considering?

I’m quickly realising that also I need sleeker / lighter case to alongside Magic Keyboard.
Opinions will vary of course, but here is my thoughts on this, that I posted in another thread. You may wan to give the whole thread a read as there other comments that may help you.

In short, I compared the Pitaka Magez 2 Folio to the Apple Folio, and I think the Pitaka wins all the way around (sturdiness, weight, texture, price). Well, there is one downside, and that is that you need to order it and wait a bit right now. The big thing for me is the Pitaka is sturdier in every position, and can also stand in portrait orientation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donza

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah me too. Thought the MKB would be a great all in one case and keyboard, but it’s too heavy and bulky.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I ordered the Apple folio and new keyboard. The keyboard is greatly improved but I would use it very seldom and it is way to e pensive to not use so it was returned. The Apple Folio is my favorite and always purchased for my iPads. Hard to be it’s durability.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Opinions will vary of course, but here is my thoughts on this, that I posted in another thread. You may wan to give the whole thread a read as there other comments that may help you.

In short, I compared the Pitaka Magez 2 Folio to the Apple Folio, and I think the Pitaka wins all the way around (sturdiness, weight, texture, price). Well, there is one downside, and that is that you need to order it and wait a bit right now. The big thing for me is the Pitaka is sturdier in every position, and can also stand in portrait orientation.

Thanks for this recommendation. Decided to place preorder although they seem to be currently out of stock. Value for money seems excellent.

Reactions: dmccombs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.