Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetrepidation

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
I have an old working Mac 512k. It even has the original Apple team's names on the inside. The thing that's special is that it has a RAM upgrade. AMASING! This isn't your plug-n-play type. It actually has a circuit board on top of the main logic board and everything is soldered together. Looks like it would of took HOURS to do. Maybe if anyone is interested I'll open her up again and get some pics. Anyone else out there seen this?

A.J.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Re: Mac 512k RAM upgrade?

Originally posted by bluetrepidation
I have an old working Mac 512k. It even has the original Apple team's names on the inside. The thing that's special is that it has a RAM upgrade. AMASING! This isn't your plug-n-play type. It actually has a circuit board on top of the main logic board and everything is soldered together. Looks like it would of took HOURS to do. Maybe if anyone is interested I'll open her up again and get some pics. Anyone else out there seen this?

A.J.

It's possible. It sounds like the old hacks done on the 6502 based Commodork 64s.. They used to solder the audio "SID" chips directly stacked one on top of the other just routing one of the legs somewhere else for addressing purposes in order to get an extra 3 voices for stereo sound. And there was something similar to that on old Ratari 8-bits as well.... Oh the joys of dedicated independent processors... (sighs and looks yearningly at his old Amiga collecting dust in the corner).

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
Xapplimatic said:
Oh the joys of dedicated independent processors... (sighs and looks yearningly at his old Amiga collecting dust in the corner).

Hehe, my next pet project is hacking a 68030 on a Apollo 630 card to a Amiga A600, now that should be fun :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.