Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Ok So I received a Macpro 6,1 for a steal from a buddy. I kinda love this machine and always wanted one. I replaced a 2018 Mac mini that I had that couldn't run a 4K scaled display smoothly without and EGPU. I tried a couple EGPU and just wasn't happy.

The problem I'm having is totally a 1st world problem, but it's racking my brain so I thought I'd post about it.

I have some bias LED lighting on the back of my 4k 32" display. It is plugged into the USB hub on the display and from there daisy chained to my mac pro (and mac mini before) via USB-A cable.

On the mac mini I used the built in HDMI 2.0 port for 4k60 but on the Mac pro I have to use a Mini Displayport--> Display port to get DP1.2 and 4k60.

For some reason when using this method, my lights will wake up a few minutes after putting the computer to sleep. The display diesn't turn on, just the lights It's driving me crazy. I know I could turn them off manually, but the whole point was to have them turn on and off with the display.

I tried the HDMI port on the mac pro and the lights work correctly, but I can't live with 4K30 from the HDMI.

Any ideas why the mDP ports are turning on the usb hub on my monitor and not the HDMI?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.