Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drebs17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
I’ve had Mac’s since 2008 but never learned anything much until I had to replace a hard drive / create bootable USB OS’s because internet recovery and iCloud wasn’t working.

So I have knowledge know how to partition, erase format type commands into terminal ect very basic..

My old Mac is bloated with essentially old photos, file’s documents, ect I don’t want to lose. In an ideal world I would throw these on a hard drive wipe it and call it a day. The problem arises in that I have many grandfathered apps and programs I own that are now subscription based only or unsupported.

I have 2 identical 2011 1279 early 11’ 2.3 GHZ i5 with 16 gb of ram my new one has a 1 tb ssd. My old college one has a 256 ssd.

When I tried to copy for example Microsoft word, Microsoft excel, Microsoft office, adobe Lightroom even tho they are both El Capitan (although I see as I write this the new computer I bought and tiles says 10.11.6 unarchived my old computer says OS X El Capitan ? photos below ) …..

EF37EC2E-AD40-4074-8BCE-2D339DFBA8CD.jpeg 00D78106-1DBF-481D-8312-26F8709CDE1D.jpeg

^ strange I wonder is this is causing problem of running old programs ?

When I try to pull over these legacy programs from my old Mac to new Mac they all run into issues light room
Says configuration error ,word says cannot be opened because of a problem.

This being said the fix im now seeing is I want to time Machine my old computer. My new computer is a new frills computer for browsing and storing pdf’s so I don’t want to get too complicated. On the old one I want to drop a new 1 tb ssd in restore from Time Machine. However I want to do a few things

1) would like to load all
The old data under a separate user within the computer on this original OSX to keep these original programs.
2) create a new user where the HD and settings will be new and fresh and not affected by my old system and run a new os use dude patcher or other ways to run Big Sur or higher so I can use Software I need to that requires this for minimum. OR I could run parrllel/ VMware and run these programs on windows 10 or higher is all they require.

(If these new programs would work in my computer if coming from a tome
Machine I might entertain that is seems the files are tied to the actual computer but I don’t know if Time Machine will bring over legacy programs and make them run because simply copying them on a external hard drive and modeling them over won’t)

Is this doable and if so does anyone know of if YouTube tutorials or articles or what keywords to use to do so

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.