Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sorkvild

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Hey everybody

The router I have been using for about 2 years with no problems all of a sudden will only connect to the internet if I enable MAC address cloning in the settings. It's a Linksys WRT54GC and no matter how many times I have tried to reset it, the router refuses to get online without MAC address cloning enabled. Anybody know why this is?

The setting messes up my Number of DHCP users limit. I usually have it set to 3, but now I must set it to 4 because now two clients instead of just one appear in the DHCP client list on my router as a result of cloning the MAC address. Should I just be grateful my router works at all? :p

Finally the last change I have noticed is that instead of the two greyed out default DNS servers my ISP provides, I only have one that reads 192.168.1.1, the IP address of my router. (I use opendns though, so I guess it's not really that much of a problem.)

I guess my real question is what happened to require MAC address cloning? I want my old settings back! Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.