Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazz12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
Austin, TX
I noticed that there are some games on the Mac App Store now that you can't buy elsewhere. I saw Lies of P on there, and the good reviews. So I went to steam to see if I could buy it there to add to my library, but it's not available there for Mac. lol.

So, with what looks like Apple trying to make Mac games exclusive (at least for a little bit like other platforms as Lies of P devs say they are working to get it to Steam), do y'all think there should be a Mac gaming store like Steam? I've emailed Tim Cook's office a year ago about it, actually, and they called me to talk to me about it and my ideas. When I noticed this game wasn't on Steam, I emailed them again. The Mac App Store, in my opinion, just isn't appropriate for gamers. I pointed out to them in my email today that on Steam you can engage with and get updates from the developers, and on the Mac App Store you can't. So someone rated the game on Monday and asked where the latest update was...on Steam there are developer updates etc. I did mention to them they could use Apple Arcade as the basis, and maybe keep the name, too.

So what do y'all think? What would you want in an Apple made gaming store?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.57.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.57.36 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
  • Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.57.34 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.57.34 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

Chazz12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
Austin, TX
Was just thinking this last night:

I don't know what it would take or if it would be possible, but if I could transfer my gaming library to the new client if Apple makes one or turns Apple Arcade into it, that would be SO nice. Goodbye steam! Haven't always been fond of their customer service. haha.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I noticed that there are some games on the Mac App Store now that you can't buy elsewhere. I saw Lies of P on there, and the good reviews. So I went to steam to see if I could buy it there to add to my library, but it's not available there for Mac. lol.

So, with what looks like Apple trying to make Mac games exclusive (at least for a little bit like other platforms as Lies of P devs say they are working to get it to Steam), do y'all think there should be a Mac gaming store like Steam? I've emailed Tim Cook's office a year ago about it, actually, and they called me to talk to me about it and my ideas. When I noticed this game wasn't on Steam, I emailed them again. The Mac App Store, in my opinion, just isn't appropriate for gamers. I pointed out to them in my email today that on Steam you can engage with and get updates from the developers, and on the Mac App Store you can't. So someone rated the game on Monday and asked where the latest update was...on Steam there are developer updates etc. I did mention to them they could use Apple Arcade as the basis, and maybe keep the name, too.

So what do y'all think? What would you want in an Apple made gaming store?

You can place a non-Steam game in your Steam library.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Yeah, I was watching for it. Still took some time that didn't seem like there was any real reason. lol.

Money.

😂

Hey, does anyone know if Lies of P has Ray-Tracing enabled? I was watching a Marques Brownlee video yesterday where he seemed to imply that it did. Bemoaning the absence of RT games on the Mac, then jumping into some complimentary gameplay.

Then again, it could have been sloppy editing.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Games -> Add a non-Steam game to my Library. Then find the game. Keep in mind this just let's you launch the game from Steam, use the overlay/features. It doesn't let you redownload the game through Steam.

Including the frame rate counter?

Metal and OpenGL games?

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020

Metal and OpenGL games?
Not sure. It's only really a feature I use on the Steam Deck to launch non-Steam games in game mode. There stuff like FPS counter and other features all work.

I know you typically have to enable the Steam overlay for non-Steam games in the Steam settings for the game. Some games don't like the overlay regardless and launchers add friction. Haven't tried on macOS.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Metal and OpenGL games?

I don't know about the frame rate counter since I never use it.

In the case of linked in games, Steam is just being used to display and select the game to be run (it doesn't do anything other than launch the game). If the standalone game runs on your computer, I see no reason why it would not run as a linked game in Steam.

• Wow
Reactions: Irishman

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Not sure. It's only really a feature I use on the Steam Deck to launch non-Steam games in game mode. There stuff like FPS counter and other features all work.

I know you typically have to enable the Steam overlay for non-Steam games in the Steam settings for the game. Some games don't like the overlay regardless and launchers add friction. Haven't tried on macOS.

Steam Deck games are much closer to Steam games than to Mac App Store games, aren’t they??

My question was about Mac games from the Mac App Store.

What made you think that this thread was suddenly about Steam Deck and Steam games?!)

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I don't know about the frame rate counter since I never use it.

In the case of linked in games, Steam is just being used to display and select the game to be run (it doesn't do anything other than launch the game). If the standalone game runs on your computer, I see no reason why it would not run as a linked game in Steam.

So, have you linked a game from the Mac App Store to run through Steam? Or are you just relying on what seems like it “should work “?

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Steam Deck games are much closer to Steam games than to Mac App Store games, aren’t they??

My question was about Mac games from the Mac App Store.

What made you think that this thread was suddenly about Steam Deck and Steam games?!)
What? It's still a feature of Steam. You were wondering about adding non-Steam games to Steam. You can do it on Windows, macOS or Linux. I've just never used that feature on Mac ever because it's not something I've needed there? But I have used it on Steam Deck so that's my experience.

Test it yourself. Yeesh. Tired of answering your questions and getting angry 😡 emojis.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
What? It's still a feature of Steam. You were wondering about adding non-Steam games to Steam. You can do it on Windows, macOS or Linux. I've just never used that feature on Mac ever because it's not something I've needed there? But I have used it on Steam Deck so that's my experience.

Test it yourself. Yeesh. Tired of answering your questions and getting angry 😡 emojis.

I was asking that question to Plutonius. In fact, I quoted him in my question about that. I wasn’t idly wondering to anyone about it.

Your comment wasn’t helpful at all. Was it, dude?

And given that, can’t you at least understand a bit of how and why I might’ve been a little upset or mad, even?

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I was asking that question to Plutonius. In fact, I quoted him in my question about that. I wasn’t idly wondering to anyone about it.

Your comment wasn’t helpful at all. Was it, dude?
You're posting in a forum. Anybody can see and reply to things. You QUOTED MY reply telling you how to add non-Steam games.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
It was basically an "I don't know" But I explain why. It was more helpful than your post...

To whom was it more helpful? Certainly not me.

And nowhere in your dumb butt post did you hint at not knowing the answer.

“I don’t know” would have been better than what you said.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So, have you linked a game from the Mac App Store to run through Steam? Or are you just relying on what seems like it “should work “?

I have never bought a game from the app store but I have linked some older games I installed on my computer from physical media.

If a game resides on your computer and runs standalone, it should never be an issue linking it in Steam (i.e. Steam does nothing for the game other than including it in the Steam library and launching it).

Bottom line is I have done it before on my Mac but never with an app store game (it should not make a difference).

Note: Linking the game will never allow it to be downloaded through Steam or updated through Steam unless you own the game on Steam.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I have never bought a game from the app store but I have linked some older games I installed on my computer from physical media.

If a game resides on your computer and runs standalone, it should never be an issue linking it in Steam (i.e. Steam does nothing for the game other than including it in the Steam library and launching it).

Bottom line is I have done it before on my Mac but never with an app store game (it should not make a difference).

Note: Linking the game will never allow it to be downloaded through Steam or updated through Steam unless you own the game on Steam.

So, no.

Thank you.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Money.

😂

Hey, does anyone know if Lies of P has Ray-Tracing enabled? I was watching a Marques Brownlee video yesterday where he seemed to imply that it did. Bemoaning the absence of RT games on the Mac, then jumping into some complimentary gameplay.

The Internet is pretty sure he misspoke on Lie of P supporting Ray Tracing. At least as of right now.

• Haha

Chazz12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
Austin, TX
Games -> Add a non-Steam game to my Library. Then find the game. Keep in mind this just let's you launch the game from Steam, use the overlay/features. It doesn't let you redownload the game through Steam.
Thanks for explaining how! I didn't know that. Just knew you could add game keys. :)

Chazz12

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
Austin, TX
Money.

😂

I just watched the same video, and he says that Hardware Raytracing is ENABLED on Lies of P for the Mac with M3. :) So yay! I'm liking the developers of Life of Pi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.