Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of the new Mac App Store?

Votes: 135 48.9%
  • No like

Votes: 68 24.6%
  • let's wait and see

Votes: 97 35.1%

• Total voters

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The only thing that it makes look silly is Mac users. Program installation on Macs is so simple that mentally disabled people can figure it out. The .dmg's generally auto-mount and a window pops up with an icon of the program and an arrow pointing to the applications folder. It's unbelievably simple.

To say that this was necessary speaks volumes about the current Mac crowd and almost functions as a sort of meta-parody. It's like Apple meets Idiocracy.

According to many threads here, some people just don't get the concept of dragging and dropping of applications, even if it is that simple. Many mount the .dmg every time they want to start an application and wonder why that is.

And many applications don't come with such nice hints and Applications folder alias, thus they get confused.

Maybe Apple should include some simple tutorials into their installation screens or before/after the Setup Assistant starts, but they seem to think, that the Mac App Store is the easier variant.

Anyway, as there still is the option to use the usual ways outside of the Mac App Store, we are still lucky.

And to tie my post to your "Idiocracy" comment: I've have seen an influx over the years of switching Windows users, who are just not good with computers, but I guess that is normal, but sometimes it seems, more "idiots" are drawn to Mac OS X than ever.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
sick and tired...

i'm getting really sick and tired of Apple assuming that all of their customers are idiots when it comes to anything computer related. Yah, macs are designed for idiots, but that doesn't mean that people need to continue being idiots.

Back in 2007 my mom bought me my first mac. A macbook. I didn't know anything about it. My best friend, who worked at the apple store, told me that all I really need to know is that I can access EVERYTHING through either the finder or through system preferences.

Later, I learned everything by taking apple's "Applecare Technician Training" which I paid 300 dollars for. I was taking it so that I could be a genius at the apple store. EVERYTHING was super easy and it got me thinking, "You know, this is so simple, why do they even call them genius in the first place?" And I figured out that it's just a marketing scam. Make all the idiot mac customers think that these "geniuses" know everything about macintosh. Most of the geniuses know LESS about computers than I do. It really makes me sick. Macs are way simple to use, anyone can learn about dmg's and dragging and dropping.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
I dont think this App Store is bad at all. Why buy iWoks when you only need Pages?, Why buy iLife (in case you dont have it) if you only want iPhoto?
Not to think of all the other programs you could get much easier than before.
Ummmmm............you DO realize that you have the option to do a CUSTOMIZED install where you can CHOOSE which apps get installed......don't you?

I have a pirated version of iLife '08 dmg on my external hard drive. Every time I do a delete and reinstall of OSX (I do it about once a year to keep my hd fresh) I ONLY choose to install iPhoto and garageband because I don't use the other ones. Same thing can be done with adobe suite (I only choose to install photoshop and that's it) and microsoft office (I only chose to install word and excel, and that's it.)

You REALLY need to learn how to use your mac!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Ummmmm............you DO realize that you have the option to do a CUSTOMIZED install where you can CHOOSE which apps get installed......don't you?

I have a pirated version of iLife '08 dmg on my external hard drive. Every time I do a delete and reinstall of OSX (I do it about once a year to keep my hd fresh) I ONLY choose to install iPhoto and garageband because I don't use the other ones. Same thing can be done with adobe suite (I only choose to install photoshop and that's it) and microsoft office (I only chose to install word and excel, and that's it.)

You REALLY need to learn how to use your mac!

I think Lord Appleseed meant the custom installation regarding to the price, as you would pay less for Pages than for the entire iWork suite, as you can currently see with the iOS App Store.

Why buy iWork, if all you need is Pages? Why buy MS Office, when all you need is Word? And so on.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I guess you could call me one of the mac idiots, as I've only had my MBP for 3 months now. I know my way around the PC and would classify my experience level on one as a "genius." However, the Mac is a "different" way of doing things. Each day I find myself learning something new from my Mac. Most of the time, it becomes a "WOW" moment where I think...this makes so much more sense.

With that said, I'm still learning my way around the machine. However, a computer is only hardware. The software is what brings the computer to life and allows all of us to become more efficient at what we do. I believe having a centralized location that offers software to Mac users is a HUGE plus. As the community grows, we can read each other's reviews and determine if the software is appropriate or not.

There is absolutely no way Apple is going to "lock" down a computer. Organizations, companies, businesses, you name it...need computers to conduct day to day operations. Most companies have organizational specific software (designed and tailored to meet their needs). Do you think Apple will now turn their Macs into paper weights because the specific software engineered for their company is 'not approved?'

I know I'm new to the forum and to the Mac life in general, but I'm completely floored when I see the mass hysteria surrounding the App Store. You will ALWAYS be able to install third party software on a Mac outside of an app store. Apple is not going to lock the computer down. Anyone remember Microsoft's troubles surrounding IE? If developers are forced to pay apple money, another lawsuit is forthcoming...think.

I envision the app store to be like an Amazon.com for your Mac. A one stop shop to get everything you need. However, it will not be the only place to shop. So to me, the App Store is going to be huge so I can make the computer more capable than it already is without much hunting and searching for the apps I would like.

I'll end on this thought. I've switched to the Mac because I've been told (and have subsequently discovered myself) that they "just work." To this point, I trust Apple to continue to innovate and find ways to continue making things easier, more capable. In the end, they are a business looking to make a profit...but they realize that customer satisfaction is their strongest product to date. I truly believe they have the customer in mind when they make decisions. Maybe I've drank too much Kool-Aid, but my Mac is WAY better than the PC I just left...

Cosmo

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I think Lord Appleseed meant the custom installation regarding to the price, as you would pay less for Pages than for the entire iWork suite, as you can currently see with the iOS App Store.

Why buy iWork, if all you need is Pages? Why buy MS Office, when all you need is Word? And so on.

Don't bother reasoning that with him, he already stated he stole his version, so he's not going to care about the costs.

jW

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
as said before, one will still have the www to search on their own (if installing from other sites then the app-store is allowed then).

Do they actually test the software herein http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ before listing it?
If using the App store, do they just test legal issues and whether the developer followed their guidelines or will they test the Apps before adding them for download?

PS: though I like this http://download.cnet.com/mac/3150-2...lterName=&sa=operatingSystem&tag=ltcol;narrow better, because of multiple options to narrow down search results. Better than http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ I mean.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I know I'm new to the forum and to the Mac life in general, but I'm completely floored when I see the mass hysteria surrounding the App Store. You will ALWAYS be able to install third party software on a Mac outside of an app store. Apple is not going to lock the computer down.

Welcome! Get use to it because it happens a lot here :rolleyes: I have notice my 5 years here at MR that as Apple becomes more popular and as the years have gone on, the newer people to apple are the most illogical people. You'll hear, "OMG!!! I"M sooooo pissed :mad::mad::mad:! I just bought a _xyz_ 4 months ago I can't believe their updating _xyz_!:mad:" Or the "I just got a mac 8 months ago, I can't believe OSX 10.Z doesn't include ___!:mad::mad::mad: I'm switching back to windows! MAC SUCKS!"

So just an FYI, you seem a very intelligent, well grounded person but you'll notice many here aren't. Usually those of us who have been on MR the longest don't respond to these threads. At first you try to correct them, but you'll get to the point where you just don't care and don't bother. So again, welcome to MR and enjoy the world of Apple.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I've been waiting for this but if Apple has to approve an app first before releasing it to the Mac App Store then I will hate it! How about you?

Unless you're an App developer, I'm not sure how you can hate this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.