Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
As per the title?

I don't mind losing the perspective/if the picture stretches.

Thanks in advance.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
On your ATV open Settings > Video and Audio and set Tap-to-Zoom Videos to ON. When you are watching something that is letterboxed double tap (don't press) the scroll pad on the remote. This may not work in every app.

EDIT: I did a quick test and this does not work in Netflix and Disney+. So, zooming the video like that probably only works when you are watching through the TV app.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
On your ATV open Settings > Video and Audio and set Tap-to-Zoom Videos to ON. When you are watching something that is letterboxed double tap (don't press) the scroll pad on the remote. This may not work in every app.

EDIT: I did a quick test and this does not work in Netflix and Disney+. So, zooming the video like that probably only works when you are watching through the TV app.
Thank you for you reply.

However, I'm trying to do this in the Mac app, not the Apple TV set-top box.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
However, I'm trying to do this in the Mac app, not the Apple TV set-top box.

Apple has created so much confusion here. In fact, what you are talking about is the "TV App" and AppleTV+ is one of several "tabs" within the TV App. Since there's an icon of an Apple, it's natural to assume it is called the "Apple TV App". But it isn't! They really should have come up with a better naming scheme for all these apps, services and devices.

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 7.38.36 PM.png

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.