Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im12358

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
For various reasons, I want to use a refurbished iMac as my TV; steaming Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon etc.

Is it better to spend more on an iMac that supports AirPlay receiving (I believe 2019), and AirPlay from apps on my iPhone/iPad - or get an older iMac and just use the iPlayer/Netflix sites via the browser.

Assuming both of these options work, are there any particular pros or cons to either?

Is there a better way?

Thanks

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
I think it would be best to run whatever apps or streaming sites you have directly on the iMac.

Install a 3rd party AirPlay receiver if you want that option too. But I'm also afraid not all apps support AirPlay due to rights management.

Reactions: ignatius345

im12358

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2024
I think it would be best to run whatever apps or streaming sites you have directly on the iMac.

Install a 3rd party AirPlay receiver if you want that option too. But I'm also afraid not all apps support AirPlay due to rights management.

Thanks -

Do iMacs support streaming apps like iPlayer? I know MacBooks don’t, which is why I mentioned browsers…

Why do you advise I use a third party AirPlay receiver instead of the built in option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.