Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ranstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
So, I've been a Mac user for a long time. I mean, I use PC as well, but for video editing, Mac is my home-boi.

Recently, I've wanted to upgrade my kit. Problem is, there's a really, REALLY big gap between my hardware/software, and what Apple offers modern day.

So, I suppose this is a question as well as a request for advice, but yeah...

So first the question: In FinalCut Pro X, it looks like when you delete a section in the middle of a clip, it automatically snaps the second half of the clip to align with the first, closing the gap.
This is nothing new in FCP, but my question is, can you have gaps in between clips, without filling the gap with a blank slug? This would destroy the workflow I learned in the older versions of FinalCut Pro.

Now for the advice: I want to upgrade my kit, and Am looking for a portable way to edit my footage.
I'm looking to primarily be editing 1080p60, or varying bitrate levels, some low and some high.
I do a lot of green screening, and special effect type work.
Portable battery life is not a concern.
I grew up on 14-16 inch screens. Screen size isn't really a massive concern.
I'm willing to save up some cash to get something good, but I'm also not looking for a 4K computer.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Someone said I should get an MSI laptop, and install Mac's OS on it... Thoughts?
Or should I just get the real deal, and go Apple?

Thanks to anyone interested.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
So, I've been a Mac user for a long time. I mean, I use PC as well, but for video editing, Mac is my home-boi.

Recently, I've wanted to upgrade my kit. Problem is, there's a really, REALLY big gap between my hardware/software, and what Apple offers modern day.

So, I suppose this is a question as well as a request for advice, but yeah...

So first the question: In FinalCut Pro X, it looks like when you delete a section in the middle of a clip, it automatically snaps the second half of the clip to align with the first, closing the gap.
This is nothing new in FCP, but my question is, can you have gaps in between clips, without filling the gap with a blank slug? This would destroy the workflow I learned in the older versions of FinalCut Pro.

Now for the advice: I want to upgrade my kit, and Am looking for a portable way to edit my footage.
I'm looking to primarily be editing 1080p60, or varying bitrate levels, some low and some high.
I do a lot of green screening, and special effect type work.
Portable battery life is not a concern.
I grew up on 14-16 inch screens. Screen size isn't really a massive concern.
I'm willing to save up some cash to get something good, but I'm also not looking for a 4K computer.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Someone said I should get an MSI laptop, and install Mac's OS on it... Thoughts?
Or should I just get the real deal, and go Apple?

Thanks to anyone interested.

You really need a 15 inch MacBook Pro with the top end dgpu, it’s the only portable Apple computer that has the grunt for special effects and green screen.

If you can wait then do so we should see hex core laptops and vega gpus sometime this year in the 15 inch mbp.

Reactions: MSastre and Glmnet1

DavidDoyle

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2013
I'd strongly suggest you download the Final Cut Pro trial. This would enable you to see the functionality and test it on your existing hardware.

https://www.apple.com/uk/final-cut-pro/trial/

(Above link is for UK but I presume available everywhere)

As for editing hardware should you need to change, I wouldn't even consider a non-Apple portable device running Apple software. I applaud the Hackintosh community and have looked at it myself, but unless you have lots of free time and patience, are keen on perfoming ongoing patching/hacks and various components of a laptop not working properly I would suggest sticking to proper hardware.

For 1080p60 would you be looking at HEVC/H.265 footage or not? If so then you'd really want a recent processor that can do encode/decode in hardware, which is a 2016/2017 MBP. Otherwise you'd likely be fine with a 2013 and later MacBook Pro with the discrete GPU as per the previous poster. For FCP you really need 16 GB RAM, and if working locally a reasonable size internal drive, as FCP render files can consume significant amounts of drive space when you add effects. So probably a 512GB minimum for that.

Ranstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
I'd strongly suggest you download the Final Cut Pro trial. This would enable you to see the functionality and test it on your existing hardware.

https://www.apple.com/uk/final-cut-pro/trial/

(Above link is for UK but I presume available everywhere)

As for editing hardware should you need to change, I wouldn't even consider a non-Apple portable device running Apple software. I applaud the Hackintosh community and have looked at it myself, but unless you have lots of free time and patience, are keen on perfoming ongoing patching/hacks and various components of a laptop not working properly I would suggest sticking to proper hardware.

For 1080p60 would you be looking at HEVC/H.265 footage or not? If so then you'd really want a recent processor that can do encode/decode in hardware, which is a 2016/2017 MBP. Otherwise you'd likely be fine with a 2013 and later MacBook Pro with the discrete GPU as per the previous poster. For FCP you really need 16 GB RAM, and if working locally a reasonable size internal drive, as FCP render files can consume significant amounts of drive space when you add effects. So probably a 512GB minimum for that.

Thanks...

I'm looking into the Sony Cyber SHot RX100 V. I haven't researched it's exact native codecs, or containers.
My GoPros use H.264, but that's nothing new. It might take some rendering if I want to combine it with the RX100's footage, but yeah, no big deal...

My Mac is 2005... I'm not confident in it's ability to run a modern version of FinalCut... That's why I asked, instead of downloading the trial. XD

I'm upgrading from FinalCut version 3.1, and a iMac with something along the capacity of an core2Duo, and 512 Mb of RAM if I remember...

So, all the MBPs I see seem to only have a CPU...
Dang, looking at the modern iMacs makes me... Reconsider my "Portable" requirement... Genuinely twice as powerful for half the price...

So, in your opinion, you don't think I'll be able to get a Mac book (Pro?) that will suit my needs for under 1500$, do you? I really was hoping to spend under 1.5K.

You get what you pay for I suppose... I have time to save but... Money :(

As long as the display is equal, or over 1080p, and has a 60htz refresh rate, I don't care about the size really...

#iusedwindowstoolongandnowimreturningtomacmotherlandbutmaciskindofexpensiveandimpoorfirstworlproblems

DavidDoyle

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for the detail back. The Sony RX100 uses XAVC so I don't think you'd need to go for a 2016-2017 MBP. It's just that the hardware encode/decode for HEVC/H.265 seems to be a really good benefit.

I think the iMac is a great video editing tool if you don't need portability.

For a MBP I'd suggest looking at a 2015 model (MacBookPro11,5). This was very well regarded and comes with 16GB RAM and a relatively decent GPU that Final Cut Pro will use - Radeon G9. Detailed specs here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#3rd_generation_(Retina)

I agree these still aren't cheap though - looks to be about $1200-1400 on eBay but perhaps Craigslist etc as options.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Forget your workflows used for old Final Cut Pro and adapt to how FCP X works. It is much easier and quicker once you get used to the difference. Ripple Training has some great tutorials that will get you up to speed fast, as well as a free YouTube channel.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
So, in your opinion, you don't think I'll be able to get a Mac book (Pro?) that will suit my needs for under 1500$, do you? I really was hoping to spend under 1.5K.

If you can possibly sacrifice portability, you're just gonna get more bang for your buck with an iMac. MacBooks are always gonna be a compromise since they're designed to optimize battery life, size and weight at the expense of every other spec and feature.

Whatever route you go, be sure to watch Apple's refurb section. Same warranty, same quality and some very nice discounts. Stock fluctuates, but it's refreshed quite frequently.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagooch

Ranstone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2017
Thanks all. I have a lot to think about, but you've all really been helpful.

I'll definitely take all y'alls advice.

I only pray I don't need to fill gaps in FCP with slugs. Genuinely any other change I can adapt to, but that... XD

Peace out all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.