Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cracked screen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
Hi,

I have had my Mac for a number of years almost three. I never look at the base of my screen - always too busy focusing on my task at hand. My mind wandered yesterday and I noticed a crack on the black base frame on my Mac - where the screen is attached to the computer keyboard. I touched the crack and little particles of the screen came out showing a beige behind. I took it to mac who told me it was caused by an accident I had had either with shutting a crumb in my computer or shutting a pen in my computer. I have never done either of those things. Don't use pens on the computer because I am using the computer and certainly don't eat over it and drop crumbs. Because it is considered 'accidental damage'. I have to pay to fix it. I spoke to apple and they said it is a significant problem - they will make a recall on the machines. Apparently not enough people have complained to apple for this to happen. The forum complaints account for nothing /the in store fixes account for nothing too. In order to hold apple accountable for this wide spread problem. The customers themselves need to phone apple and explain the problem and register a formal complaint about it over the phone. I urge you to do this ASAP. Until enough of you actually follow the correct process this will all fall on deaf ears. Apple know this is a problem, they need to make a recall on these machines. I explained to my son maybe they cant afford to do a recall - he said they can recall all these Mac book pro's with the M1 /black boarder glass screen and still have plenty of money. Please I urge anyone in the mac community who has experienced this to call in and explain and register a complaint ASAP. Or nothing will happen. I was made to doubt and second guess myself in the store - 'maybe its my fault- maybe I did something I dont remember' its not my fault and I have done nothing but look after my computer. Please dont doubt yourself - and as a call to action, please make a complaint now.
screen2JPG.JPG
screen9.JPG
crack 3.JPG

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I’ve been on this forum for a while and have been pretty involved with all Apple products for a long time and at no point was this ever a widespread issues to my knowledge.

I don’t believe anyone from Apple would have told you this is a significant issue and that they would make a recall on the machines. That’s not the place of a representative to tell you that. You have 1 post on these forums and your username is essentially your post topic…difficult to believe these statements.

cracked screen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
I said "Apple know this is a problem, they need to make a recall on these machines." The only way they could ever acknowledge it as a widespread issue and make a recall is if anyone who is affected like me calls up apple and registers a formal complaint. I was told by the guy on the phone, "forums and online complaints do not count" It is easy to understand how widespread the issue is by just doing a short google search. There is information all over the net people explaining it away as potentially their own fault and accepting responsibility. They have experienced the exact issue I have experienced. No one can really explain it. But my point is the customers are wasting their time on these forums because the only action that will count is if they call apple themselves and register the problem as a formal complaint like I did. All people who have experienced this issue at any point should ring up and register this with apple as a complaint now.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
You can open a Macbook screen only to about 120-135°. Opening it fast and with some force can result in reaching the limit and then stressing the display assembly/hinges. The screen glas is very thin compared to many laptop models and the stress caused by overflexing - even if just for a second - can cause those fractures immediately. I have never seen this damage pattern from other laptops, even mistreated ones.

This, together with the too shortly designed display connector, is basically a kind of planned obsolescence. the damage occures while using it normally even without excessive force.

cracked screen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
yes - this is my point precisely. This damage is caused by what can be considered normal use. I have not even opened it with force -no force ever. It's an electronic device and I treat it as one.
Mac has discontinued this line for a reason. My point is those affected like myself should not have to pay to fix poor design features, nor should we have to live with a damaged device. Mac should be accountable to others like me living with these problems. Until enough people make a complaint they continue to tell customers like me - it is our fault not theirs and they will not fix these issues for free. Not unless there is a recall according to the mac rep.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I said "Apple know this is a problem, they need to make a recall on these machines." The only way they could ever acknowledge it as a widespread issue and make a recall is if anyone who is affected like me calls up apple and registers a formal complaint. I was told by the guy on the phone, "forums and online complaints do not count" It is easy to understand how widespread the issue is by just doing a short google search. There is information all over the net people explaining it away as potentially their own fault and accepting responsibility. They have experienced the exact issue I have experienced. No one can really explain it. But my point is the customers are wasting their time on these forums because the only action that will count is if they call apple themselves and register the problem as a formal complaint like I did. All people who have experienced this issue at any point should ring up and register this with apple as a complaint now.

Forum and online complaints don't count because they're often either made up or outright misrepresentation of the facts. Without any sort of "paper" trail documenting issues, it is foolish to expect Apple or any company to recall a device based on forum and online discussions (which would be hearsay in a legal setting). Like other people here, your post is the first time I've even heard of this issue happening with that model of MacBook. One example does NOT qualify for a recall.

Reactions: Queen6 and chabig

halledise

macrumors 68000
i reckon the OP's accidentally closed the lid with a small hard object lodged near hinge base and the crack has started there.
it pays to regularly clean these things.
i have a ladies' soft make-up brush handy to 'sweep' the keyboard and any crumbs that may have accumulated thru usage.
as with a car, dings occur only thru negligence or accident …

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
I agree. Based on the cracks spreading from a single point, I am 100% positive that the OP or someone who used his or her computer closed the screen on something hard sitting on the aluminum when the case was closed, AND the screen was over extended. If you examines the computer, you can tell it was not well cared for at all. It is dirty, scuffed, and you can see what appears to be crumbs between the keys.

i reckon the OP's accidentally closed the lid with a small hard object lodged near hinge base and the crack has started there.
it pays to regularly clean these things.
i have a ladies' soft make-up brush handy to 'sweep' the keyboard and any crumbs that may have accumulated thru usage.
as with a car, dings occur only thru negligence or accident …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.