Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Is Mac Cleaner good - every webpage with adsense seems to be showing it when i browse on my mac.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good

I second that. What I also suggest is scanning your Mac for old and outdated software.

I recently removed iStat Menus 2.0, together with AppFresh and some other shareware crap which used to start up with the computer. Check startup items for your User and root and remove any .plist file which does not belong in there (Check the Internet to be sure). I also use the Console to get Error Messages from App leftovers.

My Mac runs OSX Lion a lot smoother since my manual cleaning, so in my opinion there is not much need for tools.

tj2001

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2003
Florida - USA
Is Mac Cleaner good - every webpage with adsense seems to be showing it when i browse on my mac.

Most maintenance apps aren't necessary, however Cocktail by Maintain has been in my app arsenal since early OS X days and I really appreciate its tool-set.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I second that. What I also suggest is scanning your Mac for old and outdated software.

I recently removed iStat Menus 2.0, together with AppFresh and some other shareware crap which used to start up with the computer. Check startup items for your User and root and remove any .plist file which does not belong in there (Check the Internet to be sure). I also use the Console to get Error Messages from App leftovers.

My Mac runs OSX Lion a lot smoother since my manual cleaning, so in my opinion there is not much need for tools.

Why did you remove istat? issues? What else did you delete?

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Why did you remove istat? issues? What else did you delete?

I´ve removed .plist Files for CheckUp by App4Mac, as it was generating a whole mess in the console log. I further removed iStat Menus 2.0, AppFresh and a .plist entry for Microsoft Office.

iStat Menus 2.0 is working on Lion, but it is outdated software not written with OSX Lion in mind. So I got rid of it for the moment, might get back to it later. I cleaned my Mac as Lion behaved sluggish and it does feel faster now.

haulover

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2015
MacCleaner is a useless tool and makes your Mac working slower
they are also crooks: I bought a "lifelong license" and was lately literally "bombed" with their advertising for a PAID "upgrade", that does not do anything else, what the old one did already. They also tricked me into logging in with a new password. I was foolish enough to do so: now my old MacCleaner does not even work anymore. I send several emails to them: never got any answer: so much for "24/7 customer service". I uninstalled everything: now my mac is faster than before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.