Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Would anyone else love to see Apple expanding their product paradigm to incorporate a new 'G4 Cube-eque' product?

The way I figure it, they could go for two main divisions in Consumer and Pro, but spilt each one with a Compact row, like the following:

Consumer Compact - Consumer - Pro Compact - Pro
Mac Mini - iMac - ??? - Mac Pro

That would at least then give people a choice if they wanted the portability of the Mini (Consumer Compact), but needed more power :)

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Yes, definitely. I think there is an unnecessary gap for people who have a good external monitor and need more power than the MacMini provides but don't want to spend $3k for a MacPro. If it were as powerful as the new i7 iMac but without the monitor, I would get it.

Would anyone else love to see Apple expanding their product paradigm to incorporate a new 'G4 Cube-eque' product?

The way I figure it, they could go for two main divisions in Consumer and Pro, but spilt each one with a Compact row, like the following:

Consumer Compact - Consumer - Pro Compact - Pro
Mac Mini - iMac - ??? - Mac Pro

That would at least then give people a choice if they wanted the portability of the Mini (Consumer Compact), but needed more power :)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
that would be the perfect mac a mac thats between the mini and the macpro and still allows you to choose your own monitor , and it should be as easy upgradeable as the original cube was or even better with 2 pci slots ...
but they would lose mini custmers and macpro custmers and even iMac customers then

but then if apple would think they could actually discontinue the mini as it is and the macpro and offer different locigboards for that new cube and just make it bigger ....say size of 4 minis on top of each other , and like the original just a handle at the bottom to pull out everything ready to upgrade by the customer , 2 optical drives , place for a harddrive and a ssd , they could then offer a low budget version with a dual core atom processor (could then be convection cooled like the original )and the nvidia ion graphic chip is not bad as its ok for hd content to view and a top model with a i7 and dedicated graphic card in one of the 3 pci slots
and some core 2 duos in between ,
but all with the modern ports like hdmi,esata,......, i think it would sell well , without confusing people ..."what adapters do i need to connect the tv or whatever ? how do i get this thing open without damaging it ? i want a better graphics card , i want more firewire ports or more usb ports , the pci ports should offer enough choice for everyone

and especially the lack of upgrade possibility puts me personally of a mini and the lack of suitable ports without need for masses of adapters , don't get me totally wrong i think the mini is cute its just outdated on the port side , thats why i ordered a dell zino hd (will run linux mint on it if i cant manage to get osx running) )to connect it to my tv , it offers everything i need as a computer for my tv plus i got a blue ray reader(if i ever will need it) and dvdrw cdwr drive and still cheaper then a base mini (thanks crazy buyers who pay over £200 for a used mini which would have been my prefered choice even without HD ), dont need a lot of processing power to watch a film or?..maybe in another couple years the mini will come down to a realistic price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.