Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonCManley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
Ohio
Hello, I'm looking for opinions on this software.

I have a project whereby I'll be ripping a hundred or more DVDs for archiving. I want to make .iso copies for permanent storage and mp4 (or similar) for quick viewing.I don't mind purchasing software if it's well made and has good support.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I Use disk utility to archive non protected DVDs. Simple, works well.

All these ripping software apps are a GUI front end to built in Mac ffmeg routines, so you don't have to deal with command line or a couple free aps like MakeMKV and Handbrake. They all perform the same, although some give you more tailoring and tweaking options than another. I think they are all easy to use and stable, but they are marketing the GUI. Nothing wrong in making your life easier, as time is money. If you want to get the best quality for given constrains, you need more capable tools. If all you want to do is make a iso image of a non-protected DVD, disk utility does that directly.

The home theater sub forum used to have decent instructions and suggestions as many there ripped DVDs at one time to put them on a media server..

Last edited:

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
All these ripping software apps are a GUI front end to built in Mac ffmeg routines, so you don't have to deal with command line or a couple free aps like MakeMKV and Handbrake. They all perform the same, although some give you more tailoring and tweaking options than another. I think they are easy to use. Nothing wrong in making your life easier, as time is money.

The home theater sub forum used to have decent instructions and suggestions as many there ripped DVDs at one time to put them on a media server..

You are correct, and indeed I have also used Handbrake. But such ripping software can make life easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.