Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Yesterday (August 21), Harry Potter and Need for Speed Carbon were suppose to be available in Apple Stores. This Tuesday (August 28) Battlefield 2142 and Command & Conquer 3 are suppose to be available in Apple Stores.

So did anybody notice yet if the first two on the list actually appeared in Apple Stores yesterday? If so would anybody that purchased either of those titles give their first impressions on how they run? The same goes for the next two titles next week. Thanks. :)

-PN

J

jasdelta

Yesterday (August 21), Harry Potter and Need for Speed Carbon were suppose to be available in Apple Stores. This Tuesday (August 28) Battlefield 2142 and Command & Conquer 3 are suppose to be available in Apple Stores.

So did anybody notice yet if the first two on the list actually appeared in Apple Stores yesterday? If so would anybody that purchased either of those titles give their first impressions on how they run? The same goes for the next two titles next week. Thanks. :)

-PN

Good Luck. I've called my nearby Apple Store for two days now and they tell me those two titles are "in transit" no arrival date!!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I have a new iMac 24" Intel 2.8 Core 2 Extreme:

Harry Potter has frozen twice and caused my computer to crash, and I haven't even gotten past inputting my name...not happy.

Third Try...game ran amazing at 1280x800...am going to try 1920x1080.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The games do not support the GMA 950 that the MacBook comes with. You might be able to play them, but you won't have much fun. The MBP would be far better.

ilogic

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
New Jersey

-PN

I got mine today! C&C 3, I have a 17 inch higher model Core Duo 2 w/ 2 GB of RAM please let me know if anybody strikes a balance between the quality and performance.. on the settings/ thanks in advance

jesses

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2007
Georgia
The games do not support the GMA 950 that the MacBook comes with. You might be able to play them, but you won't have much fun. The MBP would be far better.

so they'll probably be all choppy and slow? i guess whats what your saying.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
NFSC showed up at work on Thursday. It runs fine on my MP and MBP, I've been playing mostly on the MBP (all settings maxed) with video out to a 60 inch Samsung DLP.:) I'm happy.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
None of the Apple stores around here have BattleField 2142, which is the only EA game ported that I would like. NFSC was one crappy NFS release, and Harry Potter, will meh. I was about to just order BattleField fom Apple Online.

CrescentEdge

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Although you probably know this, be warned that 2142 has no widescreen support.

I can't stand playing with huge black bars on the sides of the screen so needless to say I would return my copy, if they allowed that.

Heh, if anyone wants my copy, let me know, I'm not going to be using it.

J

jasdelta

NFSC showed up at work on Thursday. It runs fine on my MP and MBP, I've been playing mostly on the MBP (all settings maxed) with video out to a 60 inch Samsung DLP.:) I'm happy.

I bought it the other day and have installed it twice on my MP, 5GB memory Nvidia 7300GT video card and I can't get it to run properly yet. My sound is totally garbled through a set of Bose Companion 5 speakers and the program will only acccept keyboard commands even though I have both a Logitech Wheel and MS Sidewinder Joystick installed in USB ports.

What is your configuration and what did you do to get it installed?

jim

menace3054

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
Houston
picked up bf2142 today. very choppy, very slow. This is on a MBP, 2.16 with 256mb V-Ram and 2 GB of Ram. Hard to aim, when theres more than 12+ players, your dead before you spawn, etc. very disappointing :(

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
Although you probably know this, be warned that 2142 has no widescreen support.

I can't stand playing with huge black bars on the sides of the screen so needless to say I would return my copy, if they allowed that.

Heh, if anyone wants my copy, let me know, I'm not going to be using it.

How much do you want for it?

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
What did you guys really expect, honestly. You KNEW ahead of time that EA was going to be using that Cider virtualization/emulation garbage. I mean cmon, did you honestly think that EA was going to waste their time porting DirectX games to run natively on OSX?! Rewrite it completely in OpenGL? Think. :rolleyes:

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
What did you guys really expect, honestly. You KNEW ahead of time that EA was going to be using that Cider virtualization/emulation garbage. I mean cmon, did you honestly think that EA was going to waste their time porting DirectX games to run natively on OSX?! Rewrite it completely in OpenGL? Think. :rolleyes:

Well the other non-EA Ciderized games worked pretty well, except for HoMM 5 until the recently released patch. And the problems HoMM 5 was having prior to the patch were inherited from the PC version (not Cider), which also needed to be patched.

So based on that there was some (cautious) optimism that the EA games would be ok using Cider. Why they appear to have so many issues compared to the older Ciderized games is anybody's guess. The only thing for certain is EA's silly copy protection scheme seems to be the culprit for some of the problems.

-PN

galganog

macrumors member
May 1, 2006
Both of the good EA titles BF2142 and C&C working great on my computer. Make sure you read the specs and have a generally clutter free computer and it should work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.