Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Long story short… I bought my iPad 2 months ago, but my Mac was in repair several times until now. Therefore, I had never connected the iPad to a Mac before, let alone done a backup.

So basically, I had set up the iPad without a Mac.

Now I connected the iPad to the Mac, and it gives me two options:

Option 1) To set up a new iPad on this Mac
Option 2) To restore from a previous backup

The thing is, I have no previous backup except the one from my iPhone which I just made. Which I useless for my iPad.
And option 1) would most likely delete everything off the iPad I assume?

Anyone know a solution here? I should do a backup soon, there's a lot of stuff on my iPad that I wouldn't want to lose. But I see no solution at the moment…

Thanks a lot!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
In iTunes, is the menu choice File > Devices > Backup active? That should backup the device to iTunes. Maybe shake things up for that initial screen.

iPhone backup can be used as a starting point for setting up an iPad (I seem to recall using that for an initial setup of my iPad many years ago).

Otherwise, been a long time since I've setup anything totally anew.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks, I actually found the solution, it was simply to hit "Set put as a new iPad" and it worked without deleting anything! In fact it started backing up the iPad at that point. Very weird haha

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks, I actually found the solution, it was simply to hit "Set put as a new iPad" and it worked without deleting anything! In fact it started backing up the iPad at that point. Very weird haha

Apple should probably put a notice saying it won't delete data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.