Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rs76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I have out of the gaming loop for quite a while. I have found a few titles that I would be interested in and am wondering if my best bet would be to go ahead and pick up a console and not worry about the Mac version. Need for Speed and Tiger Woods '08 will be two I am interested in.

I have seen some squabbling about how poor the graphics for gaming with the new Imacs may or may not be. Even if a PC is better then Mac in this respect is a PC normally considerably better then a game console? I'll be looking to pick up one of the new Imacs and with the 200-300 savings from previous Imac models I figure I have money left over for a console.

How does the game performance on a Mac (or top of the line PC) compare with a console?

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Top of the line PC will smoke any console or Mac any day.

Consoles have tons of games that always work, though are limited by the hardware they are initially designed around and will be out of date quickly.

Macs have almost nothing for games, so I wouldn't even bother.

Console if you don't have the cash, PC if you do.

hail

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
or you could just get bootcamp for Mac, and make your mac into a PC for games. thats what i do. best of both worlds.

rs76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2007
or you could just get bootcamp for Mac, and make your mac into a PC for games. thats what i do. best of both worlds.

The Imac under Bootcamp will probably offer better performance then a console?

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
The Imac under Bootcamp will probably offer better performance then a console?

Depends on the game. My iMac runs, for example, Prey (bootcamp) probably just about as well as a 360.

I prefer console games myself, though, except CS:S of course

icecone

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
There aren't any Mac that is good for gaming. Even the Mac Pro with 1900XT is far less powerful than a console(360 or PS3). And that is really really expensive.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
A PS3 or 360 is going to offer a lot more for gaming than a Mac.

A top of the range gaming PC on the other hand is a completely different story. If you are prepared to pay for a premium gaming PC and the PC has games you want go for it.

Personally I have always prefered console gaming to anything on computer. I've also always loved crazy Japanese games. So for me the choice was easy for this generation. I have owned all 3 current consoles, but got rid of all of them except the region free PS3.

A friend at work is currently spec'ing up gaming PCs and I have to say I'd never spend that much money on a computer, but hey if it does what you want go for it.

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
until steve comes out and says macs can be now upgraded and are for games, macs are nothing for games. i really think though that that announcement is gonna come in 2008 or even at the apple expo. if it doesnt, then i have no choice but to leave the mac world for a bit and build a gaming rig, with a buggy, crappy, virus-prone OS. :(:(:(

(but then again college is coming so maybe ill just get a MBP :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.