Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reichenberger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hello all, hope you are all staying safe with Covid-19!

This is a quick question: do any of you know an application for macOS X that allows text to be changed to look as follows:

3945F7F4-D473-4309-87AA-EB2C20651C3A.jpeg

I tried using Affinity Photo but the perspective tool doesn’t look good. I am also looking for an alternative to Adobe products. Any ideas?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Did you try Affinity Publisher?

Actually, a good question. I've tried a few different programs but they want to do a perspective skew rather than simply changing the height in one direction.

Reichenberger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Did you try Affinity Publisher?

Actually, a good question. I've tried a few different programs but they want to do a perspective skew rather than simply changing the height in one direction.

I actually found a Macro to be used with Affinity Photos which did the trick. Unfortunately it seems that no app except for Adobe Illustrator does that effect.

Reichenberger

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sure @neutrino23 – this is the message I received, please note that you can only apply the effect on an actual image and not text, so you need to import the image containing the text for it to work:

Here is a first go at an Affinity Photo Macro to create a pennant.

Given a rectangular image like this:

1512728387_PennantBefore.png.2f5a4245459513240f17215b21bfe90d.png

The macro will convert it to this:

671186603_PennantAfter.png.6f6d3927d231d96ae8daf5485f2cf22d.png

Note that it scales the border as well as the text. If you wanted, you could apply the border afterwards.

Here is the macro:

Pennant.afmacro (see attached)

To use the macro:

• Save the macro from here to a convenient location on your computer. ( I have a Macro folder under the Resources folder under Affinity Photo.)
  • Open Photo and load your Text image file. Trim it if necessary.
  • Load the Macro panel - View > Studio > Macro.
  • Load the macro by clicking on the Import icon (the last one in the row at the top of the panel). Find where you saved the macro and click to load.
  • Click on the Play Macro icon (the black triangle).
  • As I say, you might want to add a pennant-shaped outline

Attachments

• Pennant.afmacro.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 118

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Hello all, hope you are all staying safe with Covid-19!

This is a quick question: do any of you know an application for macOS X that allows text to be changed to look as follows:

View attachment 900727

I tried using Affinity Photo but the perspective tool doesn’t look good. I am also looking for an alternative to Adobe products. Any ideas?
A photo app applies perspective distortion, which isn't what it takes to make the pennant, even though it might look like it. Affinity Designer would be the alternative to Illustrator. There's a 90 day trial, 50% off sale now.

If you want totally free, try Inkscape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.