Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
Hi all, having some pretty big issues with my new 1080 8GB (purchased from Macvidcards). Have been getting no response from their support email which is a bummer so was hoping someone here might have a clue what could be going on.

Im running a late 2010 5.1 Mac Pro with 64GB RAM, a 12 core CPU, Sierra OS with the latest CUDA and NVIDIA drivers. It was performing well with a GTX 680 installed, but I’ve since moved that to another production facility and unfortunately can’t revert back to that card.

I'm a video editor and purchased the 1080 to help me fly through Premiere and After Effects with CUDA. However my system is now crashing all the time with some pretty worrying side effects and I'm trying to chase down what the issue might be.

The machine will crash in the middle of rending or applying warp stabilisers, or just playing back 4K footage. Strangely, on rebooting I’ve noticed that it will not read the correct amount of RAM (it will see 48GB instead of 64). Restarting the machine again gets the RAM back. Have tried removing half the RAM, swapped slots and still have the same issue. Again I had never noticed this happening on crashes prior to installing the 1080.

I’ve reset the PRAM, have repaired the HDD permissions, cleaned out the machine with compressed air, reapplied thermal paste to the processors, just in case it was an overheating issue, but no change. I’m just about at my wits end with it as the constant crashing is really impacting my work and I’m unable to step back to the old card.

Any help would be appreciated. I've the system report from the last crash attached if that's any help at all, I can't tell if there's anything in there that might give a clue as to what's triggering the crash.

Thanks for the help!
Dave

Attachments

• Crash Report.pdf
    35.2 KB · Views: 393

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Hi all, having some pretty big issues with my new 1080 8GB (purchased from Macvidcards). Have been getting no response from their support email which is a bummer so was hoping someone here might have a clue what could be going on.

Im running a late 2010 5.1 Mac Pro with 64GB RAM, a 12 core CPU, Sierra OS with the latest CUDA and NVIDIA drivers. It was performing well with a GTX 680 installed, but I’ve since moved that to another production facility and unfortunately can’t revert back to that card.

I'm a video editor and purchased the 1080 to help me fly through Premiere and After Effects with CUDA. However my system is now crashing all the time with some pretty worrying side effects and I'm trying to chase down what the issue might be.

The machine will crash in the middle of rending or applying warp stabilisers, or just playing back 4K footage. Strangely, on rebooting I’ve noticed that it will not read the correct amount of RAM (it will see 48GB instead of 64). Restarting the machine again gets the RAM back. Have tried removing half the RAM, swapped slots and still have the same issue. Again I had never noticed this happening on crashes prior to installing the 1080.

I’ve reset the PRAM, have repaired the HDD permissions, cleaned out the machine with compressed air, reapplied thermal paste to the processors, just in case it was an overheating issue, but no change. I’m just about at my wits end with it as the constant crashing is really impacting my work and I’m unable to step back to the old card.

Any help would be appreciated. I've the system report from the last crash attached if that's any help at all, I can't tell if there's anything in there that might give a clue as to what's triggering the crash.

Thanks for the help!
Dave
Hi Dave, how are you powering that 1080?
2x mini 6-pin to 1x 8-pin?

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Thanks for the quick response!

Yep, powering with the supplied 2x Mini 6-pin to 1x 8-pin. Any ideas?
The attached pdf didn't list all your RAM modules. Can you state what they are (same part numbers for all?) and in what slots they're placed in.

dmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
The attached pdf didn't list all your RAM modules. Can you state what they are (same part numbers for all?) and in what slots they're placed in.
4 x 16GB sticks of RAM in slots 1, 2, 5, 6.

RAM is all OWC DDR3 ECC PC10600 1333MHz SDRAM PC3-10600 ECC. Sticks were bought separately about 2 years apart but I was sure to order the same ones. I did wonder if RAM was an issue given it was 'disappearing' so I've taken out the 5, 6 sticks to see if that had any effect. Still crashing and am currently running just the 32GB in 1, 2.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If the RAM doesn't looks good as well. What I will do next is put they original Apple RAM back in, and run some test to see if still crash.

And during the DIMM swap, make sure give a good blow of the slot to remove the dust.

Reactions: bernuli and Squuiid

dmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
If the RAM doesn't looks good as well. What I will do next is put they original Apple RAM back in, and run some test to see if still crash.

And during the DIMM swap, make sure give a good blow of the slot to remove the dust.

Ive just popped all the RAM back in and blew the slots with compressed air just in case that makes a difference. If I get another crash Ill pop the original RAM back in (8x2GB sticks). The fact the RAM count fluctuates makes me suspicious there is something going on there, but the fact the problem is so much more apparent with the new GPU seems like too much of a coincidence.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Remember to check System Information (formerly known as System Profiler) for ECC errors.

Screen shot 2013-08-03 at 8.46.02 AM.png

Reactions: bernuli

dmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
Remember to check System Information (formerly known as System Profiler) for ECC errors.

View attachment 708417
Great suggestion, will do asap
[doublepost=1499950286][/doublepost]
Install hardware monitor, like this one - https://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

and check voltage of +12V line, on idle and load.
values like <= 11.5 are not good
Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a hardware monitor installed and from what I can see PSU is sitting at 12V when the machine is working hard but will keep an eye on it.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK

Thanks for the help!
Dave

machine check errors along with your ram not showing up, points directly at RAM failure, my Mac Pro 1,1 did the same thing when i had some FB-DIMMs go bad, usually when i noticed there was missing RAM after a kernel panic, going to the diagnostics tab in system profiler told me that it there was bad memory sticks, as well as the diag LED for the bad sticks would light up

upload_2017-7-13_18-55-9.png

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Same problem since a long time (980 GTX release). After removing the CUDA System Preference the crashes are gone, but no CUDA anymore.

I have not found a better solution so far.

dmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
Same problem since a long time (980 GTX release). After removing the CUDA System Preference the crashes are gone, but no CUDA anymore.

I have not found a better solution so far.
Good to know, but me a massive shame. Having CUDA in premiere instead of OpenGL is so much faster in the timeline and in renders. Ive cleaned out the RAM slots and hopefully the issue is there as I can get the RAM replaced fairly easily. Thanks so much for the info.
[doublepost=1500000061][/doublepost]
machine check errors along with your ram not showing up, points directly at RAM failure, my Mac Pro 1,1 did the same thing when i had some FB-DIMMs go bad, usually when i noticed there was missing RAM after a kernel panic, going to the diagnostics tab in system profiler told me that it there was bad memory sticks, as well as the diag LED for the bad sticks would light up

View attachment 708460
Thanks a lot. I'll go to that diagnostic tab after the next crash and see what it says.
[doublepost=1500000489][/doublepost]

View attachment 708417
Everything looking OK in there at the moment, I'll see if I can force a crash and then see what the RAM is doing.

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC

Thanks for the help!
Dave

I am kinda getting worried about MacVidCards. They are not responding to my emails requesting the status of my order. They've always been trustworthy over the years but It's been a week since they received my card and I still haven't heard back from them

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
I am kinda getting worried about MacVidCards. They are not responding to my emails requesting the status of my order. They've always been trustworthy over the years but It's been a week since they received my card and I still haven't heard back from them
I wouldn't be alarmed. Every few months (going back years) he takes a while to catch up on emails, then BAM! Everyone gets an update at once. He's never shafted anyone (that's been made public here and I'm sure it would be).

Reactions: bernuli

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
I wouldn't be alarmed. Every few months (going back years) he takes a while to catch up on emails, then BAM! Everyone gets an update at once. He's never shafted anyone (that's been made public here and I'm sure it would be).

Yeah. I figured as much. I purchased cards from them in the past and didn't have any problems. I am just worried since I have to travel soon and I am literally waiting for them so I can make my travel arrangements.

dmay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2017
If you have it connected with DisplayPort try HDMI. Mine has issues with DP.
Thanks for the tip on this, will keep it in mind if it starts playing up again.

Thought Id provide a little update. Since attacking the RAM slots with compressed air I havent had any more disappearing RAM glitches or mystery crashes. I havent been doing the same intense RAW image sequence rendering through AE I was doing before, mostly just simple Premiere edits and exports, but things seem to be a lot more stable now. Maybe it was just dust on the contacts? I'll be sure to chime back in if any further developments.

Yeah. I figured as much. I purchased cards from them in the past and didn't have any problems. I am just worried since I have to travel soon and I am literally waiting for them so I can make my travel arrangements.

I still havent heard anything back from Macvid so that's 3 emails and counting. Hope you got something out of him!

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
Thanks for the tip on this, will keep it in mind if it starts playing up again.

Thought Id provide a little update. Since attacking the RAM slots with compressed air I havent had any more disappearing RAM glitches or mystery crashes. I havent been doing the same intense RAW image sequence rendering through AE I was doing before, mostly just simple Premiere edits and exports, but things seem to be a lot more stable now. Maybe it was just dust on the contacts? I'll be sure to chime back in if any further developments.

I still havent heard anything back from Macvid so that's 3 emails and counting. Hope you got something out of him!

I got my Titan Xp back from macvidcards. The card is stable in both windows and Mac OS. The boot screens work and I am happy with the product. Communication could be better. But the end result was worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.