Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamzTheGreat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
A friend gave me their old iMac that was having issues and said I could wipe everything off of it. When I Boot to Disk Utility (It won't boot up normally) I see disk0s2 but not Macintosh HD. I try to mount it but nothing seems to happen. When I run verify disk and repair disk I get a lot of "Incorrect number of file hard links."

I have DiskWarrior 4.4 and the AppleCare disk but when I hold down C while booting it goes to Disk Utility and then I chose select startup disk from the top menu but nothing shows up after the loading symbols goes away.

I tried the steps in this article but didn't have any success: http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-to-fix-mac-wont-turn-on-3423817/

Initially the drive was showing up as Macintosh HD but after going into Single User mode and running some of the deck and /sbin/mount commands, I only saw disk0s2 instead of Macintosh HD.

Is there anything I can do to mount this HD, reinstall a clean os, and start from scratch? Would my next step be to boot to Disk Utility and then erase the HD and rename it to Macintosh HD and then go through the OS install process?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.