Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello,

My Mac Mini running 10.11.6 keeps dropping the SMB share to a QNAP NAS box where all of my media resides. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have searched and found for older OS's. This doesn't happen on my Mac Pro that is running the same OS.

I have checked the power saving and they are both setup the same.

I have just tried connecting via CIFS. Waiting to see if that helps.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Well, even CIFS didn't work, I ended up unmounting the SMB and used AFS. So far it seems to be holding. From everything I have been reading this seems to be a bug in Apple's implementation of their new version of SMB.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Well, even CIFS didn't work, I ended up unmounting the SMB and used AFS. So far it seems to be holding. From everything I have been reading this seems to be a bug in Apple's implementation of their new version of SMB.

No they wrote the newer drivers to support the new SMB and many manufactures are still using the older version of SMB!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
No they wrote the newer drivers to support the new SMB and many manufactures are still using the older version of SMB!

Interesting, there seems to be some a lot of information on the message boards regarding this. Either way, whether it is Apple's doing or the 3rd party vendors, I have had an issue with it and from the amount of messages, there are quite a few folks also having issues and it has been around for at least a year or so going back a few OS versions. Here is hoping someone gets it fixed up sooner than later!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Interesting, there seems to be some a lot of information on the message boards regarding this. Either way, whether it is Apple's doing or the 3rd party vendors, I have had an issue with it and from the amount of messages, there are quite a few folks also having issues and it has been around for at least a year or so going back a few OS versions. Here is hoping someone gets it fixed up sooner than later!

It was something I read if (on a Mac) and if the device is less then 3 years ago, then the CIFS string instead of the SMB string that sometimes it works. This however seems only to work with share in Windows itself since 8+.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
CIFS was incredible slow when I used it. I ended up using AFS, which isn't that much better but it is better. So far no drops since I switched it over to it. Had to re-do my iTunes and Plex library's, but it is working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.