Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I have recently purchased the new mac aluminum keyboard, and I am currently using it with a 2006 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. All of the keyboard shortcuts work on the keyboard except for the brightness keys. Is this because these brightness controls only work on an iMac or Apple Display, or would I just need to manually configure the controls within System Preferences. If so, how would I keymap them?

Last edited:

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I have recently purchased the new mac aluminum keyboard, and I am currently using it with a 2006 Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. All of the keyboard shortcuts work on the keyboard except for the brightness keys. Is this because these brightness controls only work on an iMac or Apple Display, or would I just need to manually configure the controls within System Preferences. If so, how would I keymap them?

The screen you have connected needs it's brightness to be controllable by the computer, so like a laptops (also iMac) built in screen or if the external screen has a USB connection through which it can be controlled (e.g. an Apple display).

So yeah if your display isn't an Apple one it's not likely that OSX will be able to control it's brightness, definitely so if it's only connected via DVI/HDMI/VGA/Display Port.

You can tell if it will work as in System Preferences > Displays, on the Display tab there is a Brightness slider. If thats not there, it's not controllable.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply, Dark Dragoon! You're right; the display slider is absent, and the monitor is only attached via a DVI cable. At least now I know what the story is with the light controls, so it's one less thing to worry about! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.