Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scenicroadways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
I really dislike typing on the standard keyboards that come with the iMac and Powermacs. I currently use an Apple wireless keyboard with my iMac, and I hate typing on it. It feels like a chore. On the other hand, i love typing on the powerbook 12". They keyboard feels amazing, and really flows. I can type almost double the words per minute on this keyboard. Anyone else feel the same way?

Scenicroadways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
haha, try typing on the regular one for a while, then go back to your slick macbook one, youll see how nice it is.

Scenicroadways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
thanks a lot for the input guys, I never knew these exsisted, and even in nice apple white color and style. I might buy either the macally or the kensington.

Scenicroadways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
has anyone used both keyboards(slimtype and icekey)? I would like to buy the one that is most similar to my 12" board..

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
in general i prefer typing on laptops, espeically my ibook, over all external keyboard.

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
the logitech dinovo series has similar tactile feelings as the powerbook. not exactly the same but relatively close. not sure if it's 100% compatible with macs, but i know you can use them. the additional functions probably dont work.

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Typing on my Apple BT keyboard do seem like a chore now that I'm use to the keyboard on the MBP.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
Josias said:
Try this one. Most of the people say, that it has the same feel as a laptop keyboard.

yeah that keyboard is made my kensignton. I have the black verson made for PC. link to newegg.
That one the black verson for PC and it is 10 bucks cheaper. I own that one. I have not tested it on a mac but I dont see why it wouldnt work. On kensignton side it just say a USB compatible computer.

I will say I really like it. I got it to replace my old keyboard after I kind of broke it. Appently keyboards dont like going flying accross the room in a fit of anger. Now I kind of glad I broke the old one because I really like the Kensington slim type. Like you I like laptop keys better than normal keyboards. Since when ever I typle a paper I do it on my laptop and not my desktop so I use those keys for it.

Also that link to new egg will show you what other users have been thinking off it. Sadly newegg is out of stock but you can easily find the keyboard like at best buy, compusa and so on. I got it Fries for 30 bucks.

But from your post you clearly like laptop keysboards a lot more than standard desktops so you are going to want to get a slim type. I say go to best Buy fries or someplace and look at the keyboards and play with them some and kind of see how they will feel. That is how i chose my Slim kengston one. I really like how it felt.

Only bad thing about that type of keyboard is you can not clean them as well by taking the keys off. Oh and the metal crom on the out side. yeah it not going to last. it will wear off. My keyboard is about a month old and alreayd where my lefthand sit it to the plastic. But yeah it doesnt really matter. my hand kind of rest on it and who cares. The board it self works great. and heck that little area of white on teh crom is hardly noticible. And most keyboard are going to get some spot by the left hand worn down pretty quickly.

Remember the most imporant thing with the keyboard and mice is not how they look. It more imporant in how to they feel while you are using them because it not like you will see them while you are starting at your computer screen. you only feel them.

colinp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2004
I just picked up a Kensington Slim Type today (the white Mac one) and am enjoying it tremendously. I am typing on it right now, in fact, with it hooked up to my 12" Pbook ;)

There are differences between the Pbook and the Slim Type. The Slim Type has F keys up to F15, which is initially a bit strange after being used to maxing out at F12... Plus, it means, for now until I get used to it, I need to look down to find F12 on the keyboard. I have noticed that it is right below the last of the seven silver multimedia buttons at the top

Also, on the right hand side, to the left of the arrow keys, there are CTRL and Insert/HELP keys which you don't find on the Pbook. For me, this makes my fingers stretch out a bit more when 1) I want to switch between Tabs in Safari by pressing Apple + Shift + Arrow Left/Right, and 2) jump to the end or beginning of a line while typing by pressing Apple + Arrow Left/Right. Strange, but something that I am sure I will eventually get used to.

I think that's it. I love the keyboard and am very happy I picked it up. Highly recommended.

If you have got any more questions just ask and I'll try my best to respond.

Scenicroadways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
thanks for all the responses, I might pick up the slimtype as well. Do you have to install any drivers, or does it work out of the box? EDIT: Also, how long is the usb cord? I really want to hide it under the desk and route it up behind the iMac. Thanks everyone...

colinp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2004
You do need to install some drivers if you want to use the seven silver multimedia buttons at the top. It requires a restart once you install them as well.

I don't have anything to measure the cord length, but it seems decent enough. I have it going to the end of a table and connecting to my laptop underneath the table there is still a lot of slack. I'm not sure what kind of desk you are working with, so I dunno. Sorry, that wasn't so helpful was it?

One quirk I noticed while playing Warcraft 3 is that on the left hand side where the FN key is on your Pbook there is a CTRL key. So there are *two* CTRL keys right beside each other. I am not sure what the purpose of that is, but I like it 'cuz it's easy to make a group of guys in War 3 without looking down at the keyboard ;)

When I was thinking of buying it I found this nice review. You might find it helpful:

Applelinks Charles Moore reviews Slim Type

colinp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2004
Just thought of this, but you could just install the drivers right now so that it's ready for you to plug in once you pick it up. Shouldn't have any adverse effects, and you can download the drivers at the Kensington website. Hope that helps :p

Scenicroadways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
thanks for the response again, I think the cord will be long enough and work just fine. I ordered from Buy.com for 33.95 total shipped, no tax. Can't wait to get the keyboard :)

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I've always liked that Kensington slim-type keyboard. It's really nice and the keys are great - a BT one would be great. At the moment I type on my Powerbook keyboard but I've also an external old-school white apple pro-keyboard and a new bluetooth one. Out of them all the scissor-types cut the mustard for me the most. I find it a lot less of an effort to type.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
I have an external keyboard connected to my MBP which is on an iCurve. I find that sometimes Im reaching up to use the MBP's keyboard instead of the external Apple. I like the Kensington... but if Im going to get a new keyboard I want bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.