Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
dietsoda reports on a story which was briefly on Mac-Life.de that claims to have knowledge of upcoming PowerMacs based on the contents of the mysterious boxes.

This Spymac thread claims to contain the original text on the site.

There is no "G5" shown on the outer hull, just PowerMacintosh 970. The Computers are there is two versions. Grey plastic with Aluminium or white plastic with Aluminium. The grey version has got the grill optic (grey stripes), the white is completely white, no structure.
The Picture seen in here (where this was posted, --> the translator,MacCaine) is a fake, definitely.
The Machines are not shaped as seen on the picture, no grill-style air-intakes. But small holes on the top and bottom, rounded out on the front. Similar to the ones from the eMacs.
The Machines are rounded out to top-front side and to the front.
All have got Superdrives.
The sides are covered with Alu, the right cover can be opened to access the inside.
On top and bottom, the machine has got 2 polished steelparts.
The Slots for the drives are in a "box that can be pulled out!!!!!!" On this box is the Apple Logo and "Powermacintosh 970" It can be rotated 90 degr. If rotated you can use the machine as desktop or as tower. There is space for 5 drives - optical or HD.
on the frontside there are 1 FW 800 Port, Headphones, Mic, bluetooth logo, three apple typical buttons, and chromed speaker.
on the back are 1 FW 800, 1 FW 800, 2x USB, 1 USB 2.0, ethernet, ADC, DVI and four diagonal PCI Slots!!!!!, speaker connector, mic.
Size of hull.: 15cm x 65cm x 40cm

There is a new alu/white keyboard, optical 2 button mouse without cord, srollwheel made of alu, bluetooth

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Well, it certainly sounds like a treat.
The writer seems to climax the story while going through the info.

It sounds like a big computer PlayStation 2, for those who don't know, the PS2 has a 90 degree rotateable sign and grills.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
The biggest news, if this is true, is the inclusion of a 2 button mouse!:D I guess we'll see on Monday.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Doesn't sound too bad, but what's up with the "PowerMacintosh 970"? Apple has always called them either PowerMac or Power Macintosh (note the space). Could just be a typo, but I find that rather suspicious.

JW

dietsoda

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Bath, UK
i wasn't that upset with the photo that was doing the rounds, but i have to admit, this sounds better!

The rotating drives sound either like a flight of fancy, or another apple innovation we will all wonder how we did without.

Fingers' crossed!

EVERYTHING CROSSED!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hoax

A mix of USB 2 and USb 1.1 ports? I don't think so! Why on earth? Would it save 25 cents?

Current PowerMacs are already supposed to have USB 2 chips, needing only software support.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by dietsoda
i wasn't that upset with the photo that was doing the rounds, but i have to admit, this sounds better!

The rotating drives sound either like a flight of fancy, or another apple innovation we will all wonder how we did without.

Fingers' crossed!

EVERYTHING CROSSED!
The rotating drive cage is used in other computers to make reconfigurable desktop/towers.. the Compaq Deskpro EP comes to mind.

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
i don't know

sounds like much too much for one update.....but we'll see...it'ld be cool as hell...and i think the rotating drive idea has been used by alot of others...i think you can do it on some old compaqs...not completely sure...just my thoughts

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
you know, the mouse is the weirdest thing about this. i mean, come on. if apple were going to change it's mouse design to the standard, i think it would have happened by now. as it is, it makes this sound just like some schmuck's wishful thinking all hoaxed up. we shall see though.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by nagromme
A mix of USB 2 and USb 1.1 ports? I don't think so! Why on earth? Would it save 25 cents?

Current PowerMacs are already supposed to have USB 2 chips, needing only software support.

Yes that does sound a little screwed up. Also the article says "1 FW 800, 1 FW 800." It is most likely a typo, but it still makes me suspicious.

Additionally, the 90 degree rotatable Apple logo sounds really strange, but who knows.

Everything else checks out for me.

crazyastro

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2002
Canada
ummmmm, doesn't this sound like a desperate outpouring of every rumour about the new PowerMacs in recent days??? It sounds a little fishy: the "climax" of the story is a continuous string of rumours (although personally I would love to see a new bluetooth mouse), this sounds a little too fantastical to be real. Of course stating that the "mysterious boxes" have been opened instantly makes me suspicious: no one can verify these boxes exist!

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: i don't know

Originally posted by sinbushar
sounds like much too much for one update.....but we'll see...it'ld be cool as hell...

agreed, it has just about everything people have been asking for, and more. But sure would be nice if it was true. Apple hasn't done a case redesign in how many years, five? It's about time for a dramatic statement.

some interesting but unconvincing bits:

-two colors option--Apple has NEVER given you such options for pro Macs

-bluetooth + two buttons + scroll wheel

-'four diagonal PCI Slots!!!!!'--I have no idea what that means

-no mention of handles

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Size seems odd...

Is the size strange or is it me... (metric challanged)

Size of hull.: 15cm x 65cm x 40cm
Size of hull.: 5.9" x 25.59" x 15.74"

Todays Machines:

Size: 8.9" x 17.0" x 18.4"

Well okay... I guess the numbers aren't too 'odd' since it's really smaller in 2 out of the 3 dimensions.. but either the new machines are MUCH taller or MUCH deeper (by over 8") than todays systems and I guess that fits in well with the the diag. PCI cards...

Dave

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Card-cage rotation?

Why would you need to rotate the slots depending upon desktop or tower orientation? A PCI card is not going to have a problem even if it's upside down with a card in it. Sounds like some false info from someone who has some strange ideas about the way slots must be oriented (ie, not Apple).

blakespot

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
It sounds a little too good to be true. If it is true that these boxes exist and someone has opened them, and been brave enough to post a detailed description, then why not post photos as well?

davei

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by pivo6
I had the same reaction. Why diagonal? It can't be to save space. It makes little sense to me.

Why is the iMac base round? Because it's cool and different? :) :)

dietsoda

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Bath, UK
it does seem a little odd there is no photo, and for me this is what makes the rumour doubtful.

although i don't agree that it would be too much for one update. Look at the leap we made to the B&W G3, and as someone else pointed out, it's been a long time since we've had a new case.

i presumed the two colours were an indication of speed/features. Perhaps the white ones have PPC 970s and the grey ones have G4s? The rotatable apple would be consistant with a tower/desktop combo, as when it's a desktop the apple could be rotated to face the user. this would seem to be a concern at apple as they chaned the laptop apple rotation to be correct when being used rather than when shut, something which still bugs some. (not me i must say)

as far as bluetooth mice go, IMHO it is not too much to ask, this is exactly the sort of advance pro mac users should expect as standard, and i'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. Unless of course there really is a 2 button mouse with scroll dial in the works and they didn't want the cost of changing mice twice in as many years.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by JBracy
It sounds a little too good to be true. If it is true that these boxes exist and someone has opened them, and been brave enough to post a detailed description, then why not post photos as well?
Possibly because of the insanity and legal action that that would cause (possibly).

At the very least, this is very interesting. What I'm finding funny is that we haven't heard a peep from American resellers, while German and French ones are dishing all the dirt.

I like the description, and I like the prospect of new keyboards and mice (I mean, white is nice, but it gets so dirty! :p ).

Jeff Harrell

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2003
I don't buy it. It's possible, certainly, but it just doesn't sound right to me. The dimensions are wrong. I mean, they could be just estimates made from looking at the thing, but they seem too precise for that.

15cm is about 6 inches. Assume that's the width when the machine is set up as a deskside.

65cm is about 25". That's the depth. Sounds shallow. Xserve is 28" deep. They could maybe get rid of a few inches by reorienting the midline fans, but I'm not sure about it.

40cm is a mere 15.7". That would be the height dimension when the machine's a deskside. But that's too small to be a rackmount. Rackmounts are 19" wide from rack ear hole center to rack ear hole center, or about 17-1/2" wide overall.

I guess I'm nitpicking, but it just doesn't sound right to me. The width is wrong, and the height is wrong; the machine would be either 5-1/4" high (3 RU, 13.3 cm) or 7" high (4 RU, 17.8 cm). 15cm is almost exactly wrong.

Plus... diagonal PCI slots? Why? It's not like the machine (even at 3 RU) wouldn't be big enough to accomodate ordinary ones.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
real or not, the image conjured in my head of this is one that is far more secksay that the fugly pic we saw yesterday all crumpled. This seems more in line with the Apple design motif, altho i'm not so sure i buy the line about the 2 button mouse... it's too much of an apple tradition to change at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.