Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Hi:

I currently produce electronic music on a Dell PC using ProTools LE 7.0 I am going to purchase a MAC Desktop along with LogicPro and will run Prtools on it as well.

I dont know anything about MAC and have the following questions:

Which MAC is best for this purpose? A G5 Dual core or a IMAC? Based on what ive read it appears IMAC is a basic non-pro CPU. Should I wait based on "hearing rumors" about intel chip MACS coming out?

I use internal synths (ie no hardware) with a USB midi keyboard. Does MAC come outfitted with a low latency soundcard (I just need to be able to hear the output in time) or is it necessary to add a audio/midi interface? Any suggestions (I don’t need Midi just simply low latency audio). Will LogicPro recognize my Protools MBox as an audio interface?

Lastly, and to complicate things even more :eek: , I would like to be able to use my current dual monitors for the MAC and still with the PC (keep for general internet use). Im thinking someone must make a switchbox so u can toggle the monitors between the CPU's. Does MAC allow for use of PC monitors? I have two Dell flat screens.

Thankyou so much,
David:D

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
welcome...

djdp said:
Hi:

I currently produce electronic music on a Dell PC using ProTools LE 7.0 I am going to purchase a MAC Desktop along with LogicPro and will run Prtools on it as well.

I dont know anything about MAC and have the following questions:

Which MAC is best for this purpose? A G5 Dual core or a IMAC? Based on what ive read it appears IMAC is a basic non-pro CPU. Should I wait based on "hearing rumors" about intel chip MACS coming out?

I use internal synths (ie no hardware) with a USB midi keyboard. Does MAC come outfitted with a low latency soundcard (I just need to be able to hear the output in time) or is it necessary to add a audio/midi interface? Any suggestions (I don’t need Midi just simply low latency audio). Will LogicPro recognize my Protools MBox as an audio interface?

Lastly, and to complicate things even more :eek: , I would like to be able to use my current dual monitors for the MAC and still with the PC (keep for general internet use). Im thinking someone must make a switchbox so u can toggle the monitors between the CPU's. Does MAC allow for use of PC monitors? I have two Dell flat screens.

Thankyou so much,
David:D

after you use your Mac for a while, you'll wonder how the hell you ever got by with a PC.

Intel Macs are already out, at least in iMac, Mac Mini, and MacBook form. Any of these would be a good purchase, though they are not easily expandable, which isn't to say they can't be expanded...just that it's not so easy as a desktop.

Either the Dual Dore Pentium Mac Mini or the Dual Core G5 would be a suitable choice for you. Depends on what you want, really. The G5 would give you tons of expandability in terms of PCI slots, but the G5 is a bit pricey. The Mac Mini is a solid little machine that works as well as the G5 (essentially) for less money. I'd probably stay away from the iMac. It's a nice little machine, but it tends to run a little hot. Also, the logic boards can be a little froggy. MacBooks are nice for portability, if that's an issue for you. I've never worked with one so I can't really comment on them. I'm sure there are others here who could.

As far as sound goes, you can probably get away without a 3rd party sound card, though I personally would recommend buying one. For example, I use an M-Audio 2496 sound card in my G4, and though I could get by without it, the flexibility I have with it (RCA ins and outs, MIDI compatability) definitely makes it worth having. There are internal and external solutions re: sound cards, so whichever machine you wind up getting, you should be covered. I recommend an M-Audio sound card based on personal experience, though there are others that I'm told are just as good. Just ask around the forum.

Monitors are monitors. Mac uses the same 15-pin d-shell connnector as every other machine, so your Dell monitors should work fine. As for switching between the two, I don't know how to do it but I guarantee there are people in this forum who do. Here again, just ask around.

You might consider posting your query in the tech section of the forum as well. Believe me, there are people here who know the answer to just about any question you'd have.

hope this helps. enjoy your new machine :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Welcome...some good advice for you above.

If you continue to post here, someone will inevitably jump on you for this sooner or later, so let's get it over with painlessly: It's "Mac," not "MAC." In all likelihood, someone will make a wisecrack about your interest in Media Access Control.

djdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
beatsme said:
after you use your Mac for a while, you'll wonder how the hell you ever got by with a PC.

Intel Macs are already out, at least in iMac, Mac Mini, and MacBook form. Any of these would be a good purchase, though they are not easily expandable, which isn't to say they can't be expanded...just that it's not so easy as a desktop.

Either the Dual Dore Pentium Mac Mini or the Dual Core G5 would be a suitable choice for you. Depends on what you want, really. The G5 would give you tons of expandability in terms of PCI slots, but the G5 is a bit pricey. The Mac Mini is a solid little machine that works as well as the G5 (essentially) for less money. I'd probably stay away from the iMac. It's a nice little machine, but it tends to run a little hot. Also, the logic boards can be a little froggy. MacBooks are nice for portability, if that's an issue for you. I've never worked with one so I can't really comment on them. I'm sure there are others here who could.

As far as sound goes, you can probably get away without a 3rd party sound card, though I personally would recommend buying one. For example, I use an M-Audio 2496 sound card in my G4, and though I could get by without it, the flexibility I have with it (RCA ins and outs, MIDI compatability) definitely makes it worth having. There are internal and external solutions re: sound cards, so whichever machine you wind up getting, you should be covered. I recommend an M-Audio sound card based on personal experience, though there are others that I'm told are just as good. Just ask around the forum.

Monitors are monitors. Mac uses the same 15-pin d-shell connnector as every other machine, so your Dell monitors should work fine. As for switching between the two, I don't know how to do it but I guarantee there are people in this forum who do. Here again, just ask around.

You might consider posting your query in the tech section of the forum as well. Believe me, there are people here who know the answer to just about any question you'd have.

hope this helps. enjoy your new machine :)

Well thank you very much for the info. So you can run LogicPro along with rewire apps such as Protools or Ableton on a Mac mini? ? It would be my guess I need to look towards a G5.

Do you have any idea when there will be Intel G5s? Wondering if i should wait if its coming soon and not much more expensive then present G5's or just get one now.

If I can stick with my protools mbox for audio interface in Prologic that would be best. This switch to MAC (oops i mean Mac ;) ) and Prologic is looking more and more expensive as i investigate it.

Thanks agin,
David

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
djdp said:
Should I wait based on "hearing rumors" about intel chip MACS coming out?
Just keep in mind that the Intel version of Pro Tools for OS X is not available just yet. The universal version of Logic is already out, just make sure you get the latest one, whith the Universal logo on the box ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
djdp said:
Do you have any idea when there will be Intel G5s? Wondering if i should wait if its coming soon and not much more expensive then present G5's or just get one now.

The speculation is that the Intel PowerMacs (not G5) will be released at the Worldwide Developers Conference in August, but may not ship until a few months later. See this thread for some discussion on the topic.

As for price, it's tough to say at this point. My guess is that they will be at least as pricey as the current G5 models.

Not being an electronic musician myself, I can't really say whether you need the beef of a PowerMac. One of the Intel-based Macs already on the market may suit your needs.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
djdp said:
Well thank you very much for the info. So you can run LogicPro along with rewire apps such as Protools or Ableton on a Mac mini? ? It would be my guess I need to look towards a G5.
We normally do all of those things with my uni's 2ghz G5 with no problem, but i think that a coreduo processor would be able to handle this quite well, if not better than a 2ghz G5. The main question is how many plugins, processes you want going on your channels simultaneously. If you want to run amp modeling, reverbs, etc. on multiple channels it is going to stress the processor much more than just using logic with an rewire application.

djdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
faintember said:
We normally do all of those things with my uni's 2ghz G5 with no problem, but i think that a coreduo processor would be able to handle this quite well, if not better than a 2ghz G5. The main question is how many plugins, processes you want going on your channels simultaneously. If you want to run amp modeling, reverbs, etc. on multiple channels it is going to stress the processor much more than just using logic with an rewire application.

IM looking for as much as I can get. well over 20 track count with compressors and eq's on most. Tons of automation, some filters also automated; a couple of delays and reverbs on busses for track routing. Basically all i need to kick some nice electronic tunes. Rewiring is just to get the sounds in fvrom ableton/reason then all of above would apply.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
^^^Then you want some power. Running a setup like you described is quite CPU intensive. Either wait to see how the universal binary of Logic runs on the intel machines or get a dual G5. FWIW, if this isnt an pressing matter, i would wait to see the UB of Logic before buying.

djdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
faintember said:
^^^Then you want some power. Running a setup like you described is quite CPU intensive. Either wait to see how the universal binary of Logic runs on the intel machines or get a dual G5. FWIW, if this isnt an pressing matter, i would wait to see the UB of Logic before buying.

well a G5 right as of doesnt have an intel right? So the current G5 and logic version should do the trick? I dont want to wait to be honest. I already produce heavily and i cant stop!!! need to raise the bar though with my equipment for sure

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
^^^I would say that a current dual G5 and the PPC Logic would be fine for now, although i am sure that you can eat up both of those processors in a hurry if you try hard enough!

The new Powermacs with the intel chip may be comming in the fall, but who knows? The think is that the current intel core duo should handle the process that you described as well as a dual G5, so an intel imac or Macbook pro should suit you fine. The problem with the intel mac mini is the HD speed (4200 rpm). If you get an Macbook pro get the 7200 rpm drive.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
You will need a 3rd party sound card. Your mbox and Protools will work with Logic and the current G5s, but neither will work with an Intel Mac (at the moment).

Also, at the moment, only a few higher end interfaces will work with Intel Macs.
I've heard of and seen some Core Audio Overload problems with the Macbook Pros.

Logic works great with Rewire apps. like Live and Reason and has some amazing soft synths and a great drum machine.

The G5's have dual monitor capabilities and work great with the Dells. Not sure if the Intel mini supports dual monitors or has a video card to suit your needs.

Being that you do all your work "inside the box", I would go for a G5 dual core or wait for the Intel towers, by then, compatibility should be less of an issue.

You might get some more answers on the Apple forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=771

Whatever you decide, you'll love making music on a Mac.

kaima

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2006
?

i am running logic 7 through an mbox 2 and constantly coming up with a "system overload error -10011". does anyone know how to work this?

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
kaima said:
i am running logic 7 through an mbox 2 and constantly coming up with a "system overload error -10011". does anyone know how to work this?

You probably have a lack of memory, processor power or both :) . Or perhaps you need to tweak your buffer settings.

djdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
floyde said:
You probably have a lack of memory, processor power or both :) . Or perhaps you need to tweak your buffer settings.

I've been reviewing these forums extensively lately because Ill be transitioning from a PC/Protools/MBox Rig to Mac/Logic and I hope to use my MBox1 along with Logic. I saw on a Mac forum for Logic that alot of people have probs trying to run an MBox with Logic. Makes me a bit nervous, gotta drop serious coin for a G5, LogicPro AND another audio interface now....:eek:

Has anyone come across a more exact resolution to this issue??

Thank you very much

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
The mbox is a P.O.S. USB, and only 2 inputs.

M-Audio makes inexpensive firewire interfaces that are Logic and Pro Tools-happy. Or the best, go Motu, though expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.