Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IssyMac22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
Hello,
I'm helping a family member sell a vintage Mac M0001. I want to describe it correctly, but I'm not that familiar with computers and could use some help from the experts! I think it is original 128k (never upgraded) which I understand would be more valuable. I am attaching photo of motherboard and internal view. Can anyone tell me what to look for to confirm whether it's been upgraded or not? Serial number indicates manufactured in 1984, week 30 in Fremont. Unfortunately the computer is not working at this time.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 2_Front.jpg
    2_Front.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 1_Ensemble.jpg
    1_Ensemble.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 3_Back.jpg
    3_Back.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 4_.jpg
    4_.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 5_.jpg
    5_.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 6_SN-box.jpg
    6_SN-box.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 7_Keyboard.jpg
    7_Keyboard.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 8_Mouse.jpg
    8_Mouse.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 9_WDL.jpg
    9_WDL.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 10_BackView1.jpg
    10_BackView1.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 11_Mac128_Motherboard1.jpg
    11_Mac128_Motherboard1.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 12_Signatures.jpg
    12_Signatures.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 126
  • 13_Box.jpg
    13_Box.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 116

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
The motherboard does appear to be a non-upgraded 128K Serialized Week 30 1984. The oldest chip seems to be the 6522, at Week 27 1984. The early modification of the resistor pack attached to the 6522 has already been performed.

Some collectors do like the early ceramic CPU, which this version has, rather than the plastic cased version - some snap-on third party upgrades work better on the ceramic version IIRC.

The Analog board (first pic) does appear to be somewhat later, as exhibited by the ferrite sleeve on the cable to the motherboard, but (WRONG - SEE LATER POST) the two rectifiers on the power supply section's heat sinks still appear to be unmodified axial diodes rather than the later upgraded bolted TO-220 type. There does not appear to be any later upgraded components on the Analog board. Perhaps the earliest change was the long metal ground fixture at the top of this board, which is already NOT present on this version. I'd go out on a limb and say it's possible this is it's original Analog board.

The sad part is that the battery has leaked at some point, and the chassis, logic board and analog board will no doubt be showing signs of corrosion on exposed metal parts of components - the motherboard certainly does already - see the blue color on component legs.

The rear housing label at the top should only say "Macintosh" (by November 84 these said "Macintosh 128k"), and there should be no printed name on the front face of the case.

The serial number should be on the front panel under the protruding ledge and NOT the bottom of the rear housing.

Last edited:

IssyMac22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
MacTech68 - Thanks so much for the information. I added more pictures to the original post. The rear housing label does just say "Macintosh" and there is no printed name on the front face and serial number is on the front panel so that all checks out. I will mention the corrosion. We have the original boxes too.
I'd appreciate any tips about what you think would be most relevant to point out to collectors as I am drafting an ad.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
WOW. Wasn't expecting an original box with matching serial number. The only things missing would seem to be the original manuals, diskettes and "tour" audio cassettes.

The case looks to be in great condition, with no blemishes (except for the marks where the case was pried apart) as far as I can see.

Most things to mention I've already stated in my first post. The real shame is the corrosion. A serious collector might be able to rectify that problem.

The only other things to include might be the serial numbers of the Mouse & Keyboard. If they are Week 30 1984, or a fraction earlier, all the better to some collectors.

IssyMac22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
Thanks for the additional info. The keyboard and mouse are 1984, week 28, so that's good!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'll just weigh in and say that it looks like you have a VERY nice package in the full complement of "Picaso" packaging. I'm assuming that you didn't get the "Picaso" plastic software box also?

I bought my "Macintosh" a couple of years ago. A friend(@Gamer9430 ) was at a vintage computer show and came across it fairly priced. It was all a blur from there once I made sure it was actually a 128K as I sort of went into "attack" mode to be sure I got it! My closest before that was an early 84 front bucket with a Plus upgrade-that one came from the original owner(a graduate school professor who was very dear to me and also gave me a lot of Macs) so I knew the full history on it.

In any case, it's funny that as collectors we get so excited over these because, objectively, they're terrible computers. Up until last year(before a job change) I could walk over to the other end of my office, turn on my 512Ke, and often did use it for typing and other light usage. The 128K I've barely even used as it's so frustrating to constantly run out of memory. I booted my 512Ke off an HD20, and I have a second HD20 that goes with the Plus conversion I mentioned above-IIRC the 128K can't boot off the HD20 at all(the 512K I know needs a "helper" disk to do it, while the 512Ke and Plus can boot directly).

Reactions: Gamer9430

IssyMac22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2021
Howdy! I included everything I can find in the photos - "Picasso" boxes for the keyboard & mouse and the large box. Unfortunately I can't find the manuals or the disks (or software box) so I think those got tossed at some point. I'll keep looking, but not holding my breath. I was planning to put the set on eBay. Do you know if there are other sites which would be appropriate for this type of package? Thanks!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I should point out that my memory fails me. The Power Supply to Logic Board Cable would appear to have had the ferrite core from the earliest model. Including the one shown in 'MacWorld' first issue, April 1984 page 35. ?

MacWorld 1984-04 Page 35.jpg

The guage of the cable was later changed from 22 AWG to 18 AWG and the ferrite core had a '5A' white label affixed.

Despite this, the Analog Board would appear to have been an early Apple Service Parts "Exchange Module" - but a very early one. This was VERY common, and looking closely at your pics, I can see that the original ASTEC transformer has a date code of 1984 Week 39, but the flyback has been replaced, and sports a date code of 1984 Week 50.

PSU Trans 8439.png
FBT 8450.png

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Despite this, the Analog Board would appear to have been an early Apple Service Parts "Exchange Module" - but a very early one. This was VERY common, and looking closely at your pics, I can see that the original ASTEC transformer has a date code of 1984 Week 39, but the flyback has been replaced, and sports a date code of 1984 Week 50.

I remember when I got mine that you told me it would be very surprising if any of these still had the analog board they shipped with.

Since you mention a replacement flyback, would the transformer have been exchanged on the original board, or would the defective one pulled, sent back to be reworked, and then sent back out as a service part?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I remember when I got mine that you told me it would be very surprising if any of these still had the analog board they shipped with.

Since you mention a replacement flyback, would the transformer have been exchanged on the original board, or would the defective one pulled, sent back to be reworked, and then sent back out as a service part?
An Apple Dealer would have swapped the Analog Board as a module with an Apple Certified Exchange replacement

The replacement Analog Board would have been one that was already returned to Apple as faulty, at which point it would have had the Flyback Transformer replaced, and sent to any random dealer as a Apple Certified Exchange replacement board.

Rinse, repeat.

Apple dealer servicing would NOT have replaced the flyback transformer. They would only swap the entire board. You pretty much NEVER get YOUR board back.

I hope I've not made that sound more complicated than it is. :oops:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
An Apple Dealer would have swapped the Analog Board as a module with an Apple Certified Exchange replacement

The replacement Analog Board would have been one that was already returned to Apple as faulty, at which point it would have had the Flyback Transformer replaced, and sent to any random dealer as a Apple Certified Exchange replacement board.

Rinse, repeat.

Apple dealer servicing would NOT have replaced the flyback transformer. They would only swap the entire board. You pretty much NEVER get YOUR board back.

I hope I've not made that sound more complicated than it is. :oops:

Got it perfectly!

Not much has changed. These days-I'm told-if you take any current Mac in for battery replacement(warranty or otherwise) if it's done at the store/ASP level they replace your entire top case(you retain your screen, LoBo, and bottom pan). The replaced part then goes back to wherever centralized location for battery replacement/other refurbishing where it then goes to another ASP, etc, etc.

I wouldn't think that Apple "back in the day" would have wanted their dealers replacing discrete components as, aside from component level replacement really having the potential to mess up the board(even though analog boards have beefy traces and solder joints), they probably weren't equipped to actually diagnose the issue and replace the appropriate components. That's not to mention that analog boards can have scary energy stored in their caps if you don't discharge them properly.

Going back to something relatively recent, the GPUs on the 2007/2008 MBP LoBos were known troublemakers(nVidia's fault and Macs weren't the only ones affected, although probably it was probably better known on Macs since Apple prioritizes fan noise over temperatures and people also tend to hold on to Macs for a while) and would fail sooner rather than later. I THINK those got sent back and reworked with new GPUs, and finally reworked with the revised and actually properly fixed GPU. BGA soldering is a specialized enough skill that there's no way they would have had stores/ASPs do it in house.

Reactions: MacTech68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.