Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bonger6693

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I have a 1.25ghz mac mini with 1gig of ram and just wondered if there is anything else I can do to make it faster? Any programs / in system to disable or what not like windows. Thanks.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I don't have my Mac in front of me to give you the exact path, but if you go into System Preferences and then Users and then select your account, there's an area that shows you all of your programs set to run automatically when you logon.

But messing around with that should only make logging in a little faster, unless you're starting something like Azureus everytime you logon. ;)

How is your system running slowly? Are you getting lots of beachballs?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Since you already have 1GB of RAM, the best thing you can do to make your Mac Mini run faster is to replace the stock hard drive with a 7200rpm drive - it will make a difference in all situations where applications are reading or writing to the disk.

It is also possible to experiment with overclocking the CPU and GPU, but I don't recommend it for the average user due to the risk involved, especially with a non-removable CPU/GPU.

The Mini's biggest asset is its low price, so I wouldn't throw too much money into upgrades.

Bonger6693

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
yeah I don't know just wondering, I mean it seems ok but like I notice it mainly when I edit photos in iphoto. It drags slow...when I change brightness / contrast bars its slow...things like that. Programs loading seem fine, it is def better since the ram upgrade. I am just seeing if anyone knows of any programs / tricks to do like you do in windows. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.