Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-X

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Hi,

I'm looking at a new mac mini as second mac. Looking to spend the least possible but get best bang for the buck...

As it is going to act as an EyeTV system primarily, the superdrive would be handy although I'm not totally averse to an external dvd-r later on.

The specs I'm considering are:

1.66, Combo, 2gb RAM, 60gb HD; or
1.83, Super, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD

Both weigh in at the same price near enough. So my basic question, what will be quicker - 1gb 1.83 or 2gb 1.66? I'm thinking 2gb is the way forward, but the lack of dvd-r option seems like a cheap shot on apple's part, as the old model had the option.

I'll also be running logic express 7.2 and photoshop elements 4 from time to time and some RAW editing from my DSLR.

Thanks, any real life experience of the above configs would be awesome.

I would get another imac (24" on way :D ) but have a nice dell 2001fp that would go to waste...

M-X

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
go the 1.83ghz. why - dvd burning, faster for the programs you plan to use. and 1 gig of ram is enough for what you need. the 1.83ghz would be faster but what is a few minutes- a cup of tea that's what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.