Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telliano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I was alittle disappointed that Apple didn't add a new/modified version incorporating the connections to big screen tvs with the all features they put into the iTV hinted for release in 2007. I was considering purchasing a MacMini to go into our family entertainment system, however now we would need to buy the additional iTV box to make complete a home theatre/computer/music/movie system. I just know once I buy one, they will come out with version that so many people felt the current MacMini fell short of intergrading into an entertainment system.
Any other thoughts on this out there?
Anyone enjoying their Mini?

Cheers,

Telliano

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
My 2 cents: The iTV doesn't do more than what the mini already does. You won't need to buy an iTV if you get the mini for the your entertainment center. iTV is more for ppl with a mac and they don't want to tie the mac down next to a tv or stereo.

I personally love my mini, just wish they step up on Front Row (integrate pvr features, play video_ts, etc...). Eyetv still has lots of work to do. Heres to hoping for good things in Leopard! :)

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
it still has a dvi and you can get a dvi to hdmi cable and that worked fine for my 4yr old powerbook

and there are plenty of audio optins for you whether it be using the built in or a m-audio type breakout box

nickelbackmac

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Jonesboro, Arkansas USA
Telliano said:
Anyone enjoying their Mini?

Heck yes!

Homework's never been better. :D :D :D

Attachments

• 09-13-06_1716.jpg
    09-13-06_1716.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 208

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
khisayruou said:
My 2 cents: The iTV doesn't do more than what the mini already does.

But for all those Wintel iPod and iTunes users (who outnumber Mac users by a fair margin) iTV means thay don't have to buy a second (non-Window) computer.

iTV is all about iTunes and iPods. It really has nothing to do with the Mac platform at all.

I'm thinking there are a bunch of Leopard "secret" features tied up in iTV. How about allowing a Mac user (but not Wintel users) to remotly check their e-mail and surf the web. Toss on a web cam and use iChat from the living room too. Plug in a USB keyboard and launch a remote user session on your Mac (even when somebody is using it - got all those extra cores to play with now)...

All of these capabilities could be integrated in a slick manner into Leopard.

What Apple are missing from their lineup is a true home "media server". Something with a 1 - 2 TB of raid 1 storage and wireless networking capabilities that runs cool and makes little or no noise and can be stashed away out of sight while serving the household as a central store for all data and media.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
MacsAttack said:
I'm thinking there are a bunch of Leopard "secret" features tied up in iTV. How about allowing a Mac user (but not Wintel users) to remotly check their e-mail and surf the web. Toss on a web cam and use iChat from the living room too. Plug in a USB keyboard and launch a remote user session on your Mac (even when somebody is using it - got all those extra cores to play with now)...

Now that's what would interest me.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
MacsAttack said:
What Apple are missing from their lineup is a true home "media server". Something with a 1 - 2 TB of raid 1 storage and wireless networking capabilities that runs cool and makes little or no noise and can be stashed away out of sight while serving the household as a central store for all data and media.
And a darn "beam me up, Scotty" button.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.