Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Does anyone have both of these machines, and could compare the internal mounting frames to see if the 2006 could fit in a 2005? I did a little research using found photos, and both look very similar, but I cannot be 100% sure.

I'd rather spend $20 on a parts 2006 machine than $100+ on a 2005 G4, if it fits.

EDIT: I guess I should have been clearer. I meant the black frame that holds the drives, fan, and interconnect board.

Last edited:

Wild Hare

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2021
G4 inside...
Firewire and audio could pose difficult.
Ports.png

SxS.png

Wild Hare

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2021
No. Close but no cigar. Type and position of G4's single RAM stick is biggest stumbling point.

What exactly do you need? The black plastic framework from a G4 mini?

(I might have an extra.);)

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
No. Close but no cigar. Type and position of G4's single RAM stick is biggest stumbling point.

What exactly do you need? The black plastic framework from a G4 mini?

(I might have an extra.);)

Thanks for the info. I need to replace my frame, as it's cracked and doesn't hold the drives properly, to the point where I cannot close the top case. I tried gluing it back together, but there are pieces missing. If you do have an extra you could sell, drop me a PM.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
I've been considering buying a printer lately. I just don't want a cheap one, so I'm holding off for a while.
Me too. I dont want to get in and regret my purchase of a cheaper unit. That and I dont have alot of time to commit to it, so the learning curve for me would be steep due to the lack of time. The idea has for years however completely intrigued me as a tool for us to build what we need vs have to buy it.

Reactions: swamprock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.